PDA

View Full Version : Docking Lights

phorner
07-12-2009, 08:28 AM
I am looking for a replacement docking lamp, a Bosch 1 305 354 911 light.

One of mine has a small crack in the glass housing, although it works fine.

Google has turned up a few links, but none that led to a supplier.

Any ideas?

GDeen
07-12-2009, 09:46 AM
Paul,

You might try International Bus Parts. This guy sent me a catalog on DVD (which is at my office). I will check it in the morning if you like.

Steve Kolb
IBP Industries, Inc.
2055 Sprint Blvd
Apopka, Fl 32703
Toll Free: 1-800-468-5287
Office: 407-880-9700
Fax: 407-880-2026
skolb@ibpindustries.com

Jerry Winchester
07-12-2009, 09:59 AM
Paul,

I had the same problem you did trying to source Bosch stuff on the internet. It's like it doesn't exist. I did find a source for a busted fog light last night, but that is the only commercial site I have found that you can actually buy parts.

http://www.rockauto.com/

michaeldterry
07-12-2009, 10:12 AM
Paul,

I had the same problem you did trying to source Bosch stuff on the internet. It's like it doesn't exist. I did find a source for a busted fog light last night, but that is the only commercial site I have found that you can actually buy parts.

http://www.rockauto.com/

Paul,

Rock Auto (the link supplied by JDUB) lists the part number you specified as a "lens", so I'm wondering if that part number is for the light "cover" only - but it sounds like that's all you need anyway. Rock Auto's price is $34.79.

rahangman
07-12-2009, 11:00 AM
I had to replace a docking light on Psgr side rear due to an "Ouch". Anyway looked and looked finally wound up finding one at TSC and a small modification and it matches and looks just fine. :)

Gary & Peggy Stevens
07-12-2009, 11:22 AM
Paul, I replaced my passenger side docking light last year while in Indio, CA.

I looked numerous places like auto parts stores, NONE had one, but finally found it at the Marathon facility. I don't have the p.n. with me but will be in the bus tomorrow if you still need it?

Also interesting enough, I bought two (2) and one of them was bad out of the box. Marathon Ft. Worth changed it out for me, for my spare.

Gary S.

phorner
07-12-2009, 01:59 PM
Thanks for all the reply's. It sure helps to at least have some direction.

I'll keep searchin'.....

phorner
07-12-2009, 02:19 PM
Checked out the Rock Auto on-line catalog and ordered up the lens.

After taking another look at mine, I guess that "lens" does describe it best, as the bulb is inserted behind it.

It should be noted, however, that I have absolutely no intention of ever having to actually use the docking light in question, as our goal is to be settled into where ever we're gonna be long before cocktail hour :eek:

Thanks again for all the help.....:D

Jon Wehrenberg
07-12-2009, 05:49 PM
I'm a daylight driver except when I want to get somewhere and I intend to jam in a lot of miles. Typically I rather leave very early, like 2:00 or 3:00 AM and when I am pulling out of a campground at that hour I use the docking lights. I want to light up any of those low obstacles that are going to bend metal.

LarryB
07-13-2009, 12:26 AM
So Jon, you are the Guy that leave early.

We were in Boise, ID. recently and I was airing up a tire using the onboard compressor at 9 am. Some fellow came over and started ranting about "PRE-VOST" owners not being able to afford air compressors and we liked to "show off Early in the morning" by starting up and letting the noisy bastard run for 30 minute while we "fiddle" with our tires". If we would by "Firestones we wouldn't have do so much fiddle'n". I agreed with the fellow, finished up and let it idle for a few extra minutes----just cause. He said he was parked near us but I didn't determine what rig was his, he left me and walk on toward the office. Probably to complain about PRE-VOST" owners.

You are giving us All a bad name with your early morning "Showing Off".

You do know I'm just giving the business?<G>

garyde
07-13-2009, 01:20 AM
Some people , no matter what our drivin, got something to say. Most of the time its a question or a compliment. There's always someone in the crowd who's the 'park ranger'.
Jon's as quiet as amouse when he pulls out about 5:00 AM. I think he makes his wife push the Coach to the highway.

Jon Wehrenberg
07-13-2009, 07:34 AM
I admit the bus is loud, especially at O'dark thirty. But I don't have to air it up, so once it is running I usually put it in gear and idle out of the campground. I'll let other POG members who have had the misfortune of being parked next to me comment on how much noise I make.

Some people are either intimidated by folks that have a Prevost, or are blowhards that have to make smart ass remarks. When we left Spearfish last year we overnighted on the way home around Kansas City at a campground. The guy in the golf cart that led me to the site was all over me about how Detroit Series 60 engines are junk and the bus should have a Cat engine. He probably drove an old Winnebago with a Dodge 318. But I had some fun with him because I made it clear that these buses were so special I even polished my slack adjusters.

The next night Truk ended up in the same campground and he knew I was there because the guy that likes Cat engines had to tell him about the nut in the Prevost that polishes slack adjusters.

When folks get on me about the Prevost I usually can't help myself and somehow get something outrageous in the conversation.

GDeen
07-13-2009, 08:35 AM
Still early on my learning curve, but I discovered I didn't care for driving in the dark on 2 lane roads in deep E. Texas (sorry Ted:)). Hard to see much without the brights in oncoming traffic and I have even polished the lenses on my headlights.

The interstate is another story all together. Have driven till midnight a couple of times with no bother at all.

truk4u
07-13-2009, 08:50 AM
I not only was in the same campground, but the same site. I knew I was in trouble when the guy said, "do you polish your slack adjusters." I said hell no and who ever told you that was probably from Tennessee and towing a Hummer. He was a good sport after I explained that the guy with the Hummer was originally from NY and sniffed a lot of metal cleaning chemicals in his day and now spends most of his time in his underwear setting in front of his computer listening to reruns of the Shadow. Then I asked him if the Hummer guy showed him his pet pig dressed like one of the Lennon sisters.

He was laughing as he drove away in his golfcart!

Jerry Winchester
07-13-2009, 12:00 PM
I thought I was the only one who had to listen to these folks telling me what a POS a Prevost / Series 60 was. I had some Wonderlodge guru take me to the woodshed one day over this and when I asked him about his Wonderlodge, he said he didn't own one but he had seen a lot of them.

At OSH last year it was the guy in the Newell that looked like it came over on the Mayflower. He went on and one about how expensive a Prevost was and so on. I finally said, "Do I look like I give a crap about how expensive it is?" I asked what kind of plane he had; yep - he didn't own a plane, so I asked was he just there to bust the balls of everyone who owned expensive stuff or did he have a mission in life?

Jon Wehrenberg
07-13-2009, 03:59 PM
I must have softened up the Cat engine guy for Truk. He wouldn't let up on me about the engines.

I just figure there are some people who resent when other folks seem to have some success, and they take out their frustrations by trying to criticize them or their lifestyle or whatever. But we have also had the opposite, that being folks who are tickled pink that others have succeded and can enjoy what they have earned. We had the pleasure of running across a couple of states with a truck driving team, a husband and wife. When we were splitting up because they were turning south we stopped at a rest area to see who we had been tailing and talking to on the CB.

It turned out they had two trucks on dedicated runs, the father in law driving the other, and they had plans for their lives and careers. I don't doubt that one day they will be driving a Prevost.

phorner
07-13-2009, 04:39 PM
Luckily, we do encounter some nice folks as well as those who feel they have something to prove to "that Prevost guy".

On our way back to Florida this past fall, we spent a week in Charleston, SC. There happened to be 2 couples camping near us in a small travel trailer and a very small Class C mini-motorhome, which they were using to tow a fishing boat.

One of the ladies happened by and commented that they had never seen a motorhome like ours up close and had always wondered what they were like. So, Janice asked if they would like to see inside and they were thrilled.

We gave everyone the tour and the guys enjoyed my taking the time to show them all the "business end" of the bus. They seemed amazed that we appeared to be "regular people".

The next day, these folks presented us with several pounds of fresh shrimp they had caught that morning in return for their "tour" :D

Unfortunately, there does seem to be the presumption by many that Prevost owners are stuck up and only interested in showing off our perceived wealth.

I try to go out of my way to dispel those notions....... I say I'm just the bus driver....:o

MangoMike
07-13-2009, 05:03 PM
Paul,

I'm with you.

Being restaurant guy it's in my DNA to make sure everybody likes me and is potential Jerk Chicken buyer. So upon arrival at a campground I try to make contact first with my neighbors, usually with a cold one in hand. (No sheep at this point).

You can usually gauge the reaction as they normally assume all us Prevo guys are like Trukman, "stuck up".

Mike

truk4u
07-13-2009, 08:48 PM
That was way harsh!

phorner
07-14-2009, 09:02 AM
Update....

Rock Auto just sent me an email telling me that my item was out of stock, on back order, no ETA available, my order cancelled and my money returned. Try again later.

Bummer.....:mad:

rfoster
07-14-2009, 10:11 AM
I recently ran up on an expert that told me that they should have put a cummins in the Prevost. I told him that I had antiicipated problems with the Detroit and had replaced it with the new Briggs and Stratton engine. He had heard that they were supposed to be good too. What a dummy.

michaeldterry
07-14-2009, 10:48 AM
Update....

Rock Auto just sent me an email telling me that my item was out of stock, on back order, no ETA available, my order cancelled and my money returned. Try again later.

Bummer.....:mad:

Here's Bosch's website: http://www.bosch.de/start/content/language2/html/index.htm There is a contact form (see Contact link at the top of the page) - perhaps Bosch will help you find a source for the lens? It's worth a shot!

phorner
07-14-2009, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the link. I'll bet I can get one from Liberty as well, and they're close by.

On the subject of the "campground experts" that often comment on our busses, I really do try my best to go out of my way to be courteous and respectful. Most non-Prevost owners have already formed an opinion of Prevost owners and it's not usually favorable.

There was a time when I rode what my riding friends referred to as a "rice burner" and although there was some friendly kidding going on, in those days the Harley crowd would mostly ignore a rider on anything else.

After I bought my first Harley, I vowed to never become a "Harley snob". The guy behind me in the rain was getting just as wet as me no matter what he rode. Whenever we rode, we would always be extra courteous and leave generous tips at the inevitable meal stops. After all, we rode to eat!

Once in a while we would be ignored at a nice restaurant or hotel, and we would politely leave after making sure we told the manager just how much business they just lost. Nevertheless, we tried to make sure the public was being exposed to a positive image of Harley riders in spite of our appearance. Back then, there were certain highways in NJ that you just couldn't ride a Harley on and not get stopped by a NJ state trooper due to a lot of outlaw gang activity, and everyone riding a Harley was treated as a member.

My point here is that now that I am fortunate enough to have acquired a Prevost, I think it's important to continue the positive public relations. These days, perception is reality. As a fellow "camper" my concerns are the same.... I need a safe and comfortable place to spend the night with the appropriate utilities. I would prefer those "SOB" campers to view a Prevost as something to aspire to.... not merely envy. Hopefully, they'll want to buy one some day and make all our busses that much more desirable and valuable. People will long remember how we treated them long after they've forgotten what we drove.

And perception is powerful. I want to be viewed in a positive light. There are certainly those that do not understand our life style and would gladly replace our bus for us with a pop-up pulled by a Prius.

Lastly, I proudly display the POG logo on our Jeep and always explain the logo to our camping neighbors if asked. I want them to at the least leave with the impression that if "that Prevost guy" is a POG member.... well, he's still a pretty good guy.

And, I'd like them to be right :)

Jon Wehrenberg
07-14-2009, 02:26 PM
Paul,

If you fail to get the lenses, I have two that may or may not work. If you haven't got them by OKC, see if mine fit.

phorner
07-14-2009, 02:31 PM
Thanks, Jon.

I'm hoping to have them by OKC, but you never know....

michaeldterry
07-14-2009, 04:36 PM
Just for the heck of it, I sent an inquiry to Bosch earlier today via the contact form on their website. In less than two hours, I received the following reply by e-mail:

Re: part # 1 305 354 911, please contact AES @ 800 843-3546 for replacement information.

Regards,
Bosch E-mail reply

I'm pretty impressed with the quick response!

Paul - maybe it's worth a call to the number above to see if they can supply your replacement lens at a reasonable cost!

phorner
07-14-2009, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the tip. I'll give the number a try....

phorner
08-05-2009, 01:08 PM
Well, I did call AES and they were cordial enough. However, they advised me that these lamps were on back order. Might have some in September.

So, as it turned out, Prevost had them in stock and mine has been delivered and installed. Around $40 from Prevost, which was within a couple of dollars of what AES wanted, without shipping. Since I was ordering a couple of other items from Prevost anyway, the shipping was free for all practical purposes.

Thanks everyone for all the leads....