PDA

View Full Version : Newell Owners Wanted

Jon Wehrenberg
08-04-2006, 04:20 PM
It is no secret we love our bling coach, but Di likes the concept of a slide coach. I can accept that since we are sitting longer in campgrounds instead of being in a different city every night.

We have looked at numerous Prevost conversions but if we are going to make a decision to buy a slide coach or stick with our current one I want to know we did a complete job of considering the alternatives.

I looked at the Newell that was at OSH and we are going to visit the factory on our return from Santa Fe. Are there any Prevost owners that formerly owned a Newell that will discuss the advantages and disadvantages of each? Don't be shy, and send a PM or email if you wish.

Jerry Winchester
08-04-2006, 05:00 PM
This is no doubt a trick question. Be careful how you answer.

Newells2Oshkosh? Just doesn't have that ring to it....
Newell Owners Group - NOG? Doesn't work either....
Who's on the bus? - Nope, that won't work.....
NewellJon vs BusJon? - Can't see it.....
SlideMaster vs AnalMaster? - Wouldn't be prudent

Just Plain Jeff
08-04-2006, 07:25 PM
Yeah, here's the Ronco, excuse me, Newell, Bling Award:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000059GED.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Plastic.

MangoMike
08-04-2006, 07:27 PM
We might have to convene the POG Executive Committee to see if there needs to be an intercesion.

Must be the heat.

Jon Wehrenberg
08-04-2006, 09:03 PM
Looks like as people age they become resistant to new ideas and change.

That coach at OSH was damn nice.

MangoMike
08-04-2006, 09:56 PM
They saw my POG shirt and wouldn't let me in. Or maybe because I was with JDUB.

MM

lewpopp
08-04-2006, 10:28 PM
Mango, they would have let you in a flash. Unless your POG shirt was as dirty as jeffs ususally is.

I had a display Newell next to me and if I were in the market ( I said this before in a previous post) for 900 big ones, you can have everything you want and more in a brand new Newell.

The salesman I talked to was Brian Pitts, the former son-in-law of Harvey Mitchell, the owner of Parliament Coach. Real nice guy.

I would jump in a minute to a Newell. A real close friend of mine just sold his Newell and loved it. He retired from the road.

You can say anything to me you want and it won't bother me, but Jon, well, he's probably hiding in his pit in the barn about now.

Another thing I might add. If I were younger and wanted another coach, I would try to snap Jon's coach up in a hurry. Anal Award and all.

rfoster
08-04-2006, 10:29 PM
To the Osh Crew: Motion is on the floor.
Jon didn't get any POG posting done at Osh. Now look what idle time has gotten him into. It is mandatory that next OSH Jon is to have a laptop with aircard or a new full feature cell phone with web access.
Withdrawal from posting is dangerous, very dangerous.

Jerry Winchester
08-05-2006, 12:13 AM
Looks like as people age they become resistant to new ideas and change.

This is a quote from Mr. "I Don't Need Any LED's"?

Just break down and put some LED's on the old Liberty, lay down with a cold rag on your forehead and lock your checkbook away until Mike and I get there for the intervention.

Jerry Winchester
08-05-2006, 12:20 AM
Jon,

Remember the last time you forgot to take your medicine........

http://jdub.smugmug.com/photos/86028066-M.jpg

Just Plain Jeff
08-05-2006, 07:37 AM
To the Osh Crew: Motion is on the floor.
Jon didn't get any POG posting done at Osh. Now look what idle time has gotten him into. It is mandatory that next OSH Jon is to have a laptop with aircard or a new full feature cell phone with web access.
Withdrawal from posting is dangerous, very dangerous.

Roger, Roger!

Might have had something to do with looking at all the airplanes.

Of course, this may lead, (GASP) to Jon owning 2 buses and then we will have to hear about all the comparisons, different bolt sizes, the alignment of the screws, cotter pin tensions and tensile strengths of the strings on the shades.

He'll have to bench test all of that.

I'm getting in my bus on Monday am and just drive it until it either runs out of fuel or breaks.

Jon Wehrenberg
08-05-2006, 08:07 AM
Lots of babbling from the peanut gallery, but no substance.

Can it be possible nobody that now owns a Prevost previously owned a Newell?

It sounds like Lew has recognized the same thing I did. From my very brief look at the Newell at OSH it looked like it is on a par with any Prevost, but then again there are some plywood palaces that look good also. Anybody have any knowledge or are you guys just going to go out and get more LEDs?

rmboies
08-05-2006, 08:46 AM
It is no secret we love our bling coach, but Di likes the concept of a slide coach. I can accept that since we are sitting longer in campgrounds instead of being in a different city every night.

Jon, as one of the only two women who attempt to chat with ya'll, I will of course give you my opinion from a woman's point of view.

Having had a non-slide coach, and now owning a slide coach, the slide coach wins hands down. It would be very difficult for me to go back to a non-slide. When you and Di visited us one evening at POG1, I could tell she was enjoying the extra room. The wide rooms make every job you do in the coach so much easier--cooking, making the bed, heck just getting around the end of the bed when nature calls at night. The downside is that you can lose some of your countertop space but with the new coaches having slide out counters I believe they are trying to solve that issue. We have taken two road trips with the slide coach and are headed for our third next week and have not had an issue with the slides. (well, unless you consider Bob forgetting to remove one of the foam end protectors we put on the corners when the slides are out). It sits in our building with the slides out as well. I hope I haven't jinxed us by saying this no problems so far! I do not find it noisier going down the road either unless you are on a really rough highway and I would think additional rattles would factor in with any coach under those circumstances. I know it did with our previous coaches.

I have only viewed the Newells online and they appear to be very well built. However, I will join Mike, JDUB and others for the intervention and convince you that a Prevost slide coach is REALLY the one you want;) Besides, how can you think of leaving all of us??????? Give me Di's phone number:D

Debi and BOB-00

win42
08-05-2006, 09:46 AM
Jon
My 2 cents on Newells. They are elegant looking. Before we bought our Prevost we answered an ad on a Newell by taking a flight to Palm Springs CA to check it out. It was beautiful, Three things turned us off. The stark hospital operating room apperance of the interior. When I started opening the exterior doors and looking inside the first thing that struck me was the wood construction. Too much like my former plastic delaminating coach. The third turn off was the snooty guy selling it.
This was ten years ago, they may be different today. I'm aas curious as you to go to the factory and see them naked and give the new interiors a second chance. I'm still stuck with the simple jump in and go camping our single wide Prevost provides us. I'm very jealous of the room afforded by pull outs. In the next coach I'll look hard at pull outs before deciding. They are very nice when parked. It's all personal choice and amount of burnt money your willing to part with.
Remember the Merry Go Round is limited to one revolution here on earth. Grab all the gusto you can afford and enjoy.
Harry

matsprt
08-05-2006, 11:03 AM
OK, while I can't consider myself a true POG member yet as I don't own a Prevost, I can feel Jon's pain.

I threw a small amount of money (relative) at a plastic coach with 2 slides just to try it out. We have found we like the lifestyle. So now I'm on to serious looking for "the bus". Conflict comes from exactly what Debi points out. The DW has been in some of these rolling basketball courts/square dance rooms. She likes the room. I have never owned a non-slide coach. With my current coach closed up it is very functional. We have traveled and not deployed the slides. Once parked, out come the slides and it is nice. I have worked long and hard to keep her happy with the idea of a 2 slide Prevost. I am currently barely holding my own . Newell has come up in our discussions. We have not personally looked inside them yet (I think that's a good thing :D ).

We recently bought a lot in Indio and before that I seen a total of ONE Newell. Once in ODR we saw Newell after Newell. Hell, I didn't even know they made that many. Admittedly the Prevost's outnumbered the Newells (thank you God). I think Jon has come to an application issue. If space becomes an important factor, then there are more than one manufacturer that can fill that need. 3 and 4 slide CC Magna's/ Affinity's and Newell's make nice highend "plastic" coaches. However nothing compares with an actual Prevost. Apples and oranges.

If you can be happy in a 2 slide bus, that is the best answer (for me anyway). If you require more room then the others come into play. I have not done too much research into Newell. I have heard good things. The owners in our park like them and would buy again. The previous posts are the first I have heard about plywood construction. It warrants some looking into. They are a small builder, service can be an issue, resale/trade-in are also concerns. Good luck Jon, it is not an easy situation. I'm still ok with "just" 2 slides.

Michael

rfoster
08-05-2006, 11:17 AM
Just Plain Jeff: You can go along way on full tank in my bus. I assume yours has a mega tank or close as well, So Question is which way are you heading? - .

Jon Wehrenberg
08-05-2006, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the comments. We are having some serious discussions and your comments are part of our discussions.

The biggest part of the problem is that Liberty has set such a high standard. We have a very well built and equipped coach and any replacement has to offer the same in quality and amenities.

The standard is so high, that we have not yet found a converted coach we consider better than our Liberty. And we have looked.

The Newell of today however is a vast improvement of the Newells we looked at at FMCA shows in years past. What is unknown is how it will compare when we go past the superficial look and start getting into specifics. The issue of slides is driving the investigation, but it will be a coach of equal or better quality with features equal to or better than what we have that will be required.

Just Plain Jeff
08-05-2006, 02:08 PM
Ah, the meds are starting to kick in.

Roger: We are making the spontaneous trip to the Parliament Travel Club Rally in Asheville, NC. They have about one slot that opened up. Anyone who wants it should email stevem@parliamentcoach.com. The idea here is: Join POG, buy a bus, have fun!

rmboies
08-05-2006, 04:00 PM
Ah, the meds are starting to kick in.
Roger: We are making the spontaneous trip to the Parliament Travel Club Rally in Asheville, NC. They have about one slot that opened up. Anyone who wants it should email stevem@parliamentcoach.com. The idea here is: Join POG, buy a bus, have fun!

YES, grab that beautiful wife of yours Roger and head to Asheville! Jon, why not get permission from the boss and the two of you head on over as well?? We are really looking forward to seeing Jeff and Helen again although I think she was disappointed that I am passing on the white water rafting!! Jeff is right, join POG, buy a bus and have fun:D

Debi and Bob

Jon Wehrenberg
08-05-2006, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the invite, but I have the refrigerator in a few pieces while I await a new evaporator fan motor. It quit on the return to OSH and the refrig won't refrig without it. We are getting nervous because we are heading back to NY in a couple of weeks and without the refrig refriging I'll have to drink warm beer while I drive.

truk4u
08-05-2006, 10:05 PM
Jon,
We're in Brockport, NY now for about 4 days, stay off the Thruway, it sucks as usual. Had a guy at the Marathon Rally from Jamestown, he didn't know you.:eek: The new dual slide Marathon blew me away. Wish I had Lew's money.:D

Just Plain Jeff
08-06-2006, 08:07 AM
The Brits drink warm beer all the time.

And you would miss seeing some Newells:

http://rvshoppingguide.com/444d09c0.jpg

lewpopp
08-06-2006, 01:15 PM
Tom Truk

Wish you had Lew Bucks or Lew's Bucks?

Come on down to Elmira and I'll show you around. Lots of room in the fairgrounds after Tuesday.

Elmira area has more to see than many large cities around the country.

I would organize a POG rally here, only I'd lose all of my friends and gain some enemies. If I bring in a few at a time, I can sneak them around to some of the sites without being too noticeable. A lot of people say "hi Lew" to me when I'm with a group and I scoot them away before any stories are told. I have a reputation, ya know, good or bad is up to the judgement of the Anal POGers, I guess. They are so criticle of some things, I couldn't pass the muster.

Have fun

Lew

Just Plain Jeff
08-06-2006, 02:59 PM
http://www.dvorak.org/blog/images/bs-meter.jpg

Ben
08-06-2006, 07:42 PM
I look at a few Newell's at the Florida RV Supershow last year and was very impressed with the interior layout and design, but I did not have enough time to look into the systems that were running everything behind the scenes. It was only the last few years models that I liked. The older ones didn't do much for me and the new ones were out of my price range (I have a '97 Prevost).

You might consider contacting some of the sellers on rvonline.com who are selling older ones and mention that you're thinking of purchasing a newer Newell and just want to see if they have any advice.

If you're looking for more than two slides, then be sure to check out Marathon's three slide coaches. In my search for the perfect Prevost, I ended up wanting a Liberty or Marathon over everything else, but any slide-equipped model was out of my price range.... after all, I don't have that many Lew Bucks.

I just love the gleaming stainless and the no-compromise quality of a Prevost, which is why I didn't consider SOB.

rfoster
08-06-2006, 11:01 PM
Deb and BOB-00 :

Thanks for the kind remarks and the invitation to join yall in the hills. But work is getting in the way of My (our) Bus Duties. Today is Micki's birthday, and I told her we should be out of town on a trip! (next year for sure) Instead she is down at the creek washing clothes, and skinning the varmits we trapped last nite, as soon as she gets done chopin the firewood, I will ask her if maybe we could slip off after work one evening next week to check out any show coaches, and to visit with yall. Golly, shes a good woman! Asheville is about an hour a way thru the woods. So if you can post - at the rally -let us know.
This part of the country (east Tn and Western NC) is a well kept secret. Enjoy!

timebum
08-07-2006, 09:23 PM
I stopped at the Newell plant in Oklahoma in May and was super impressed with the coaches and the factory. The slides open out and the floor rises to fill the gap.........way cool. I was not impressed with the turning circle of the under 2005 coaches. IFS can spoil one.

I am also wanting slides but my '97 will have to do for some time unless the Lottery strikes.