PDA

View Full Version : Position Switch Marathon Windshield Shade

GDeen
07-06-2009, 05:38 PM
Anyone have a source to purchase a position switch for the electric windshield shade? I have a bad one. Could go to Marathon but I am guessing they will be pretty proud of their copy.
Thanks

Jerry Winchester
07-06-2009, 07:52 PM
If you take the other one out maybe we can figure it out from what's written on it. I'm not sure that isn't a Prevost part. It matches the switches on the other side of the dash.

GDeen
07-06-2009, 08:09 PM
Good point on a part number...

I didn't give a very clear description, but I am talking about the limit (?) switch that is on the roller itself, not the rocker switch on the dash. It has 2 buttons where you set the upper and lower limits of travel for the shade. Keeps short sheeting the lower limit, so the shade only goes down about 1/2 way.

GDeen
07-16-2009, 08:31 PM
Update - the whole motor has to be replaced that powers the shade up and down. Marathon Tech says it gets a "bad memory" and that is the end of it. No matter how many times you reset the position, it immediately forgets and stops wherever it wants. Worst news of all, $640!!!:eek:

Good news is when I started whining he offered that they had a couple of used take off copies laying around the Dallas shop, and he would ship them to me at my cost. If one of them works, I am in luck. If not, I will start trying to source one somewhere else.

MangoMike
07-16-2009, 10:19 PM
Gordon,

Is this the drive?

I've been having problems w/ mine also.

mm

GDeen
07-16-2009, 10:43 PM
Exactly Mike. The first tech I spoke with put me on with another who "knew a trick or two" to try. Once I told him mine would not retain the lower setting he said it was toast.

Is your problem similar?

Edit: By the way, I did find a replacement motor with the manufacturer cheaper than Marathon, but still ~ $450 which seems ridiculous. Hopefully the freebee works.

garyde
07-16-2009, 11:11 PM
The trick involve pulling the shade down to the bottom, and resetting the switch to the down position?

GDeen
07-16-2009, 11:16 PM
Gary,

We didn't discuss the "trick" after he heard my symptom. Said it was over for that motor, and not an uncommon failure. They called it a motor that had lost its mind or something to that effect.

MangoMike
07-16-2009, 11:58 PM
I sure wish I knew the "trick".

As you can see by my thumb there are two buttons. Black and yellow. I've tried pushing both to see how it affects the stop in travel, but I don't really understand the logic on how it should work.

Can someone enlighten me?

Thanks

Petervs
07-17-2009, 12:05 AM
I have an earlier coach that had manual pull down windshield shades. I did not like those, and replaced them with electric shades from Carefree of Colorado. You can buy one for about $200 complete. Then, just swap the guts and you have solved this problem forever.

http://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/rvmhin_smartvisor.asp?m=01010501

HarborBus
07-17-2009, 09:00 AM
It seems to me a simple solution would be just to replace the motor, I wouldn't think it would be all that expensive. I found the web site at: http://www.somfysystems.com/index.cfm. It appears there are many retailers that could probably order the motor or you may be able to order direct from the manufacturer. I'd call factory support and pick their brain, no way this motor is anywhere close to $660.00:eek:.

JIM CHALOUPKA
07-17-2009, 09:22 AM
Here are some possible parts sources for U that need them. You have the shades in hand and better know what it's all about, so do your own site searching.

Good luck and keep in touch on how it works out.

http://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&channel=s&hl=en&q=somfy+LT+28+Hi&btnG=Google+Search

JIM

JIM CHALOUPKA
07-17-2009, 09:33 AM
In the link question box type LT-28-HI, press enter.

Scroll down the resulting page about half way for the BAD NEWS.

http://shop.floridautomatedshade.com/searchadvanced-submit.sc

JIM

Jon Wehrenberg
07-17-2009, 09:40 AM
I wonder if I am alone in this thinking.

We have electric front window area shades. Each shade has its own switch. So I have a switch for the LH driver side window, LH windshield, RH windshield and the entry door window.

To make them go up and down I have to press and hold each switch. They stop where they are supposed to and everything works OK, but apart from impressing folks who have a pop top camper I see no reason why manual pull down shades wouldn't be just as good and no more troublesome to operate.

JIM CHALOUPKA
07-17-2009, 09:41 AM
And something else. Getting better news.

http://shop.floridautomatedshade.com/category.sc?categoryId=103

JIM

JIM CHALOUPKA
07-17-2009, 09:47 AM
Manual shades are good and may be better from a maintenance/replacement outlook, but if one is driving alone and he/she starts getting blinded by the sun it is usually not convenient to stop and adjust the shades when they are being used as a visor.

JIM

GDeen
07-17-2009, 10:48 AM
Mike, call James in parts at Marathon Dallas..972-206-1064. He is the guy I am working with. The name of the guy who knows the "trick" escapes me, but James can hook you up. You hold the button down as you simultaneously move the shade with the switch. When you get to the position desired, release the button. Can't remember if it is black down and the other up as it has been a couple of weeks since I messed with it in place.

Jon, don't disagree at all. Takes longer to hold the switch down than just pull the shade down by hand. All the rest of my shades are manual which means they are not prone to failure.

Jim - thanks for the link! Looks like a much better price proposition than the manufacturer or obviously Marathon.

My main point in calling Marathon in the first place was to try and figure out if there was a fix. Never assumed they would be the best place to purchase, and that is born out in the 50% markup they show over the manufacturers price.

GDeen
07-17-2009, 10:57 AM
James w/ Marathon just called and said they bench tested both take off motors they had. One was good, the other bad. He is shipping the good one today and said don't worry about the shipping cost! Pretty good customer service if you axe me.:)

truk4u
07-17-2009, 08:31 PM
Jimmy C,

The shade on the passenger side is useless for the driver, just adjust your POG hat!;) But what do I know, I have manual shades, manual visor's, manual curtains, manual awnings, manual doors and no freaking motor's to worry about.

King - Push that button for me will ya!:D

JIM CHALOUPKA
07-17-2009, 09:30 PM
Tom, I don't wear hats it's bad for the hair :D

Anyway my bus came with power shades so for now I have to make do with them, maybe some day I will have manual too.:rolleyes:

JIM:p

rfoster
07-17-2009, 11:51 PM
Truk:

The other day I picked up the remote with electric shade functions on it and I could barely see the illustrations on the screen. The rechargable batteries had just about bitten the dust. I replaced them with 4 aa Duracell. Life is good now.

I will push the buttons one time just for you.

These motors yall are talking about -- are they the ones that the remote control operates?

GDeen
07-21-2009, 12:02 PM
Mike,

Took some looking, but the link below has a pdf of the LT28 installation and limit switch setting instructions. Not available on Somfy site for some reason. I received my used one from Marathon Dallas and will install tonight.

http://www.ugot.co.uk/shopimages/help_pdf/somfyblind1instal.pdf