PDA

View Full Version : Which Guest Charger?

LarryB
07-06-2009, 11:44 AM
Just a quick question on a recent subject. What model of Guest charger are you guys installing? I see 2610A and 2611a models listed .

Thanks

MangoMike
07-06-2009, 01:07 PM
Hi Larry,

This is the one I'm using.

http://www.amazon.com/Guest-2611A-Ba.../dp/B000NHZV1S

2611A

Mike

Gary & Peggy Stevens
07-06-2009, 01:17 PM
Larry, I used the same one MM showed above.

It has worked great, EVEN though I installed it myself ? :eek: :D

Gary S.

LarryB
07-06-2009, 07:07 PM
Mike and Gary S. thanks for the input. I thought I had it narrowed down until I saw the selection.

Gary, since you installed one, you think I can as well? Thanks for your faith. I'll be installing mine on a Country Coach---everyone knows the BOOGYMAN designed that electrical system. I have the diagrams that MM and someone else posted so it will be OK.

HarborBus
07-06-2009, 09:26 PM
This is a timely subject. I have just replaced the 4 chassis batteries. The ones that were replaced were only 2 1/2 years old. I thought it was only Marathon that didn't provide a charging system for the chassis batteries (that shows how much I know) but obviously CC is the same way. Could someone provide me with the link to hard wire the charger. Additionally how does everyone control the charger. I have a 120 Volt plug for the block heater that I can turn on and off in the cockpit, is this acceptable? What would you advise? Thanks

MangoMike
07-06-2009, 09:32 PM
Harbor Patrol,

Everyone I know uses the outlet for the block heater.

Except Dale who uses this time tested method of electrical generation.

Make it happen.

Mike

Joe Cannarozzi
07-06-2009, 10:45 PM
Elliot if I understood the question you are wondering if you could move the the a/c source for the block heater ,that you probably almost never use, and hook it to a chassis charger so you can control it from the cabin?

Yes

If you have the block heater plugged in an outlet that is wired to the switch I would change that.

The outlet would be always live, just the accessories would be on switches. It would require 1 additional junction box. All the wires you need to do that are already in place.

Ours is like this.

I suppose I could use the breaker for that outlet in the cabin as a switch. Great Idea for the holidays.

HarborBus
07-06-2009, 10:50 PM
Yes, that's what I am asking. Or do you just plug it in somewhere else?

Joe Cannarozzi
07-06-2009, 10:58 PM
Is the outlet itself on the switch and the block heater pluged in to it?

HarborBus
07-06-2009, 11:30 PM
Yes, the outlet is on the switch in the cockpit. The block heater isn't plugged into it and I would never use it, I avoid cold weather like the plague.

Joe Cannarozzi
07-06-2009, 11:41 PM
Then you are fine.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
07-07-2009, 12:08 AM
Larry B., if I can install it, I am sure you can too. I have all the tools necessary to do lots of things, just not the experience or the place to do it properly. But I manage doing a few things myself. ( No comment Hector :D)

Somewhere in all of these posts, are the exact wiring diagrams I followed from Mango Mike, to wire my Guest Charger. Maybe Mike still has it handy, but they are somewhere on this site, already.

As far as power to the guest charger, I too had a Hot Plug that was set up on a timer for the original but different type of charger for the house batteries. So when I used this plug for the Guest charger, I changed out the 60min timer, for an On/Off switch. I leave it ON all the time, works great.

Gary S.

MangoMike
07-07-2009, 09:42 AM
Here's a professional, non crayon, drawing for you.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
07-07-2009, 03:38 PM
That a Boy, Mike. That is what they were looking for.

Gary S.

HarborBus
07-07-2009, 04:03 PM
Mike your diagram appears to be for a 24 Volt set up, is that correct?

Jon Wehrenberg
07-07-2009, 04:10 PM
The chassis battery bank is treated as 24 volts, so your observation is correct.

I do have one question, shooting from the lip with zero thought given to it. If you lose an alternator or regulator, with it set up that way does the battery set go out of balance, or will the equalizer continue to function?

I would have to study this and was wondering if anybody has already pondered (southern expression) the issue.

LarryB
07-11-2009, 05:41 PM
Well not to kick this horse much longer,now that I have drawing, I have a couple of followup questions.

1. Where to mount the charger, is heat a consideration? I can mount it to the structure just forward of the battery bank next to the Batt. Equalizer. This looks like a good place but what about engine heat?

2. Do you remove the inline fuses from the charger leads?

3. I was looking for an AC source to plug into. None in my engine bay. Where is the block heater located and could I use that source and retain the use of the block heater?

Thanks for the hand holding!

Jon Wehrenberg
07-11-2009, 05:52 PM
Mine is mounted on the ceiling above the chassis batteries. It has a dedicated plug, but if you want use the block heater outlet. The block heater outlet is probably a 15 or 20 amp circuit breaker so I suggest you leave the in line fuses if they are of a smaller value. I'm not familiar with Guest chargers, but I am speaking generically.

There is heat in that area. Others have mounted chargers in that area and I don't think anyone has posted any issues.

phorner
07-11-2009, 06:13 PM
Mine is mounted on the bulkhead next to the battery equalizer. I did leave the fuses in place.

I also have mine plugged into the block heater outlet, as I have absolutely no business being anywhere that I require a heated engine block :)

No problems to report with this setup and installation.

LarryB
07-11-2009, 07:15 PM
Jon and Paul, thanks for the replies. I don't have an outlet to plug into so----where is the block heater located? If I find the heater I can trace the wires. None of my manuals give the location of the heater.

HarborBus
07-11-2009, 07:47 PM
Howdy Larry, remember me ? The wife and I meet you and your wife in Feb at Steve's place there in Yuma when you were staying on their lot. My block heater is coiled up next to the receptacle on the right side as your looking at the engine just about eye height.

LarryB
07-11-2009, 09:03 PM
Elliott & Evy, you bet I remember you folks, Steve said you had taken the plunge---post some pix. Will you be attending the rally at OKC?

Thanks for the info on the block heater, CC does it differently and hardwires to a switch in the driver's overhead panel.

HarborBus
07-11-2009, 09:27 PM
I got all excited about attending the rally, then Evy reminded me I have a physical scheduled for the 15th, so it no go for this year. I was looking forward to meeting all the residents of this asylum. We'll catch the next one. The only pictures I have are the ones that were taken by Marathon Texas, I tried to post more than one but it wouldn't let me so I'll have to bone up on the picture thing.