PDA

View Full Version : Oil for Generator

dale farley
07-04-2009, 10:25 PM
I have a 17K PowerTech Generator that I need to change the oil in. I see the book says use 30W or 10W-30W. What brand and weight do most owners use in it?

Kevin Erion
07-05-2009, 12:11 AM
Same oil I use in the bus.

Orren Zook
07-05-2009, 12:37 AM
I use Delo 15-40 in my generator.

MangoMike
07-05-2009, 02:07 AM
Like Kevin, the same as the bus. Shell Rotella 15w-40.

Mike

dalej
07-05-2009, 07:04 AM
Shell Rotella 15w-40.

Mike

Ditto to what Mike uses.

phorner
07-05-2009, 07:50 AM
Same here.

Same as in the bus.....

dale farley
07-05-2009, 08:12 AM
I use Rotello in the bus, so I guess that's what I'll use in the generator. Thanks to all.

rfoster
07-05-2009, 12:01 PM
Dale: I dont think you would go wrong with the rotella for the Gen set as I have used the rotella in the Gen in both buses and I know at least one of them still works.

I am sure Paulette would like a sensor or two for her birthday, and then a good meal to top it off. What woman wouldn't go for that?

phorner
07-05-2009, 02:14 PM
You're right, Roger.

Janice just loved the air bags I got her for Christmas!

Didn't seem quite so thrilled with the OTR re-charge for her birthday, though...:eek:

dale farley
07-09-2009, 09:30 PM
I changed my oil, oil filter and both fuel filters on the generator today. I let it drain for about 1/2 hour. My manual says it takes 9 qts to fill it up; but I put 8 qts in and ran it for about 5 minutes, and it is still showing completely full. I will check it in the morning after it sits all night and see what it looks like.

Does everyone else put 9 qts in their 17K Power Tech? I know the 20K takes about 11 qts.

Denny
07-09-2009, 09:55 PM
When I change my generator oil, I start with 2 gallons of Delvac oil and 1 quart of Lucas additive. I never use all two gallons of oil having about a quart left. So I am very close to your 8 quarts.

Joe Cannarozzi
07-09-2009, 10:09 PM
Denny you are wasting your breath. That advice has been previously offered many times.

I think rotella adds something to the aroma that hypnotizes them all.

I hate to think what their interpretation of what a good spaghetti sauce is.

Jon Wehrenberg
07-10-2009, 07:19 AM
I just changed the oil and filter in my Kohler (Yanmar engine) and it took about 7 quarts. I have a 55 gallon drum of oil I pump from and it measured that on the side of the gallon container I used to fill it with. I don't know what the book says, I used the full mark on the dipstick to determine if it was full.

dale farley
07-10-2009, 10:07 AM
I'm glad I didn't just go by the book or I would have definitely been over full.

LarryB
07-10-2009, 11:58 PM
OK Joe, so what is the "ADVICE" ? Newer Guy wants to know. PM me if this subject will create hate and discontent among the ranks.

Thanks

Joe Cannarozzi
07-11-2009, 07:08 AM
Larry I have learned that guys have a very uncompromising opinion of brands of tires and oil they will use.

Being an owner operator for better than 10 years I have learned that tires brakes and oil changes comes out to be close to if not 1/2 or more of your maintenance costs.

On one hand you have the tires of which you can save 40% if you can get comfortable with off name tires and on the other hand you have oil that their is a hands down way superior product out their that most wont use. Delvac 15-40.

Furthermore I am seeing the same guys who insist on the overpriced Michelins opting for the cheep Rotella oil. 0 for 2. I guess many are not convinced by the likes of me.

Jon Wehrenberg
07-11-2009, 07:48 AM
Joe,

Since both oils, one manufactured by Shell and the other by Mobil meet the Detroit specs, and the certification standards. what in particular is it about one versus the other that makes the Delvac superior?

I have used both brands with considerable success. Shell (Aeroshell 15W50) in my plane, and the Mobil product in both my buses. In both cases however I have exceeded the recommended change intervals (35 hours in the plane, 5000 miles in the bus). I am using 60 to 75 hour intervals in the generator.

dale farley
07-11-2009, 08:21 AM
Joe, There are two reasons I haven't been using Delvac: (1) I didn't realize it was beter than Rotello, and (2) I have never seen it in any of the places where I buy oil. In most all cases, I'll go for the best overall value, including quality and price if the specs are the same.

truk4u
07-11-2009, 08:32 AM
Joe,

Let's hear the facts that make Delvac better than Rotella and tell me where it's cheap?

flyu2there
07-11-2009, 09:19 AM
Joe,

Since both oils, one manufactured by Shell and the other by Mobil meet the Detroit specs, and the certification standards. what in particular is it about one versus the other that makes the Delvac superior?

I think a better choice of words, rather than manufactured, is packaged and marketed. I know for a fact that many times fuel pumped by Shell Dealers may well have been refined by Chevron, or Texaco...happens all of the time. Refinery is down for repairs, low inventory, buy or trade with the competition.....same with the oils. Good old Madison Avenue boys, just doing their jobs to garner as much market share as possible by instilling brand loyalty.

Jon Wehrenberg
07-11-2009, 02:06 PM
I was thinking about this earlier today. I think Mobil, for example, did an excellent job of pairing with Detroit pushing the oil for the million mile engine. That marketing linkage undoubtedly helped Detroit sell engines and Detroit sell oil.

But while we all may have opinions about the products we buy and use, I think John has it right. A lot of this stuff is generic since it meets the same standards. What separates one from the other in people's minds is the effectiveness of the marketing effort.

If a large fleet owner, such as Werner or JB Hunt did a controlled test with 1/2 the fleet using Brand A and the other half using Brand B, and there were measurable differences at the end of the test, I would be inclined to agree one product may be better than another, but in the absence of some form of controlled test on a significant number of vehicles under close monitoring I think oil is oil.

I do know and have been trying to find the document, that adding anything to our fluids, engine or transmission may be doing harm. Our fluids are all produced to a standard and have various additives. Some additives such as Lucas, or STP or any of the myriad of products out there may have materials in them that are not compatible with the fluids we use. I thought it was a Detroit Diesel document that said not to add anything, but may be wrong. I am still looking.

Joe Cannarozzi
07-11-2009, 06:43 PM
We do not push the 60 series enough to get enough of an adverse condition that would begin to create an oil consumption situation. Pulling 80,000lbs will however. I base that opinion on the fact that I have never heard any of you comment that it is down a gallon at or just before service time. Because of this phenomenon I suppose you can get away with something other than "the best" product in the bus.

You can feed me all the written info and read all the consumer reports you choose I will read none of it.

My methods are very simple. I run what has been proven to me, by service on the road, day in and day out. I know that Delvac will stay in the safe zone on the dip stick longer than any other oil. There are many out there that will give you the same review.

I found out about the product about 15yrs ago when Debs brother was running a 60 series in a freightliner and had a terrible oil consumption problem, as many did. It was a DD tech that led him to it. Many with the same problem were switching to it with remarkable results. It reduced his problem by 80%. If it were any other trucker but him I would not have believed it.

I also use synthetic grease at 6 bucks a tube, no other product comes even close

Jon Wehrenberg
07-11-2009, 09:33 PM
Joe,

You cannot compare my 5000 mile oil change intervals with service a bus or truck sees in normal service.

I doubt anybody, truck or motorhome using those change intervals would ever have an oil related issue. And in case you still think your personal experience constitutes a test, it doesn't even come close. If there were a couple thousand Joe C's running Delvac, and a couple of thousand Jon's running Rotella then the collective results would have significance.

I'm not for or against any oil, Delvac, Rotella, Pennzoil, or any other. Nor am I a proponent of any. I think if they meet the Detroit spec, and have the SAE standard required they are good enough for us.