PDA

View Full Version : Engine Sensors That Will Shut You Down

dale farley
07-04-2009, 10:09 PM
I've been re-reading some of the excellent articles on maintenance, etc., and I am trying to decide if I should get all 5 of the sensors that can shut you down if they go bad.

Has anyone other than Harry actually had one of these sensors go bad since they've been running their bus?

I realize the peace of mind might be worth the $300, and I know if one of them went bad, $300 would seem cheap compared to the time, money, and frustration that would be involved. I'm just trying to see what the odds are against one of them going bad. I'm cheap and always broke.

From Jon's Article:

Oil Pressure Sensor…………………………….…23532797.……………$66.08

Air, Oil, Fuel Temperature Sensor……………23518092.……………....…59.46

Coolant Temperature Sensor…………………23515251.……………...…32.09

You may also want to consider carrying the following as well:

Synchronous Reference Sensor……………..08929387.………....……..$71.81

Timing Reference Sensor……………………….08929388.……………….52.50

Joe Cannarozzi
07-04-2009, 10:14 PM
add throttle position sensor

Ask for them for Christmas:rolleyes:

dale farley
07-04-2009, 10:18 PM
That is a great idea!! Joe, Will you get me all 6 sensors for Christmas?

Joe Cannarozzi
07-04-2009, 10:44 PM
If you are a good boy maybe Santa will come thru.

Seems like a small price to pay really. Get um.

dale farley
07-04-2009, 11:36 PM
Paulette has a birthday coming up next week. Maybe that's what I'll get her.

MangoMike
07-05-2009, 02:03 AM
Fast Roger had the throttle position sensor go bad. So there's one for sure.

dale farley
07-05-2009, 08:17 AM
Does anyone know the number for the Throttle Sensor? I am assuming the PN#s for the sensors are the same for my bus as they were for Jon's when he wrote the article?

JIM CHALOUPKA
07-05-2009, 09:40 AM
Dale, I bought all the sensors at Freightliner, DD.

All in stock. It was an easy one stop shopping trip.

JIM

dale farley
07-05-2009, 02:14 PM
Jim, Do you know how the price at Freightliner compares with Prevost?

JIM CHALOUPKA
07-05-2009, 02:48 PM
Dale, I do not know the Prevost price, but I will say that wherever Jon bought his, the ones I bought were the same price to the penny, except that Freightliner extended a 10% discount just for the asking.
At the time I called around to truck parts places and went with the best price at the most convenient location, which turned out to be 100 mi away round trip:eek:
Some even wanted to charge more than list and some did not have all in stock.

JIM

CAPT MOGUL & Sandy
07-05-2009, 04:52 PM
We has the coolant sensor in the surge tank fail a few years ago. Drove us nuts trying to trouble shoot as it was intermittent.
Ed

Jon Wehrenberg
07-05-2009, 07:16 PM
The coolant level sensor is one you can bypass by attaching a jumper between the terminals. That one will shut the bus down unless it is bypassed.

gmcbuffalo
07-05-2009, 07:41 PM
No sensors have gone bad but I have had to gauges go in the last two years. Fuel gauge was the first, sometimes worked some times not. The differential temp guage pegged to the right last years and I assumed it was the sensor. I traced the wires, no breaks, so I attached it to the transmissions temp gauge and bingo the sensor was working. New guage from Prevost Parts last week.
GregM

dale farley
07-08-2009, 12:19 PM
Jim C., I am trying to order the sensors, and I have called the local shops, and only one has them at an inflated price. I also called Prevost, and they were almost double the price. When you said you bought yours from Freightliner, DD, where specifically were you referring to.

JIM CHALOUPKA
07-08-2009, 05:40 PM
Dale, in a suburb of Cleveland Ohio.

Your link is:

http://www.valleyfreightlinertruck.com/service/service.html

JIM

JIM CHALOUPKA
07-08-2009, 05:44 PM
Dale, if I were you and you wanted them to ship to you, call and ask for parts and ask if they are willing to help you out with a discount.

Don't correspond by email, the person answering may not discount.

JIM

dale farley
07-08-2009, 10:25 PM
Jim, Thanks for the info. I'll give them a call.

JIM CHALOUPKA
07-09-2009, 08:18 AM
Dale Freightliner is a national co., so..............

http://www.100autoguide.com/na/usa/automotive/dealers/freightliner/florida.htm

Looking in your own local might be better for you?

JIM

dale farley
07-09-2009, 11:07 AM
Jim, I had already checked with the only Freightliner shop in my area, and they are about 10% higher and don't have all the sensors.

JIM CHALOUPKA
07-09-2009, 12:03 PM
Well, I don't know how the pricing is now, it's almost a year later. I find the discounts are up to the discretion of the counter man and how he is feeling that day :rolleyes: :eek:
A real crock if you know what I mean.

JIM

dale farley
07-09-2009, 02:13 PM
I called a couple of the Freightliner shops, and they all quote the same price (about 10% higher than last year). I ordered one of the sensors off eBay and will get the others at a local truck shop.

They quote the same retail price as the other Freightliner shops, and they don't offer any discount. It will come out about the same, since I won't have to pay shipping charges. Prevost and a couple other local shops are about 60% higher. As usual, it pays to look around before you buy. Another argument for having them on hand when/if one goes bad.

JIM CHALOUPKA
07-09-2009, 04:52 PM
Change out your rear start switch now too.

JIM

Jerry Winchester
07-09-2009, 04:56 PM
Dale,

I bought most of the sensors I needed on eBay. They were new in the box and about 1/3 the price of new.

You can even get a cheap sensor for the turbo boost which won't stop you but will certainly slow you down a bunch.

Darrell McCarley
07-09-2009, 05:34 PM
What sensors are needed for 8V92's for engine shutdown?

dale farley
07-09-2009, 06:09 PM
Jerry,

I've looked for the other sensors on eBay, but at this time, I have only found the one.

GDeen
07-20-2009, 12:11 PM
Are these DD part numbers?

I've been re-reading some of the excellent articles on maintenance, etc., and I am trying to decide if I should get all 5 of the sensors that can shut you down if they go bad.

Has anyone other than Harry actually had one of these sensors go bad since they've been running their bus?

I realize the peace of mind might be worth the $300, and I know if one of them went bad, $300 would seem cheap compared to the time, money, and frustration that would be involved. I'm just trying to see what the odds are against one of them going bad. I'm cheap and always broke.

From Jon's Article:

Oil Pressure Sensor…………………………….…23532797.……………$66.08

Air, Oil, Fuel Temperature Sensor……………23518092.……………....…59.46

Coolant Temperature Sensor…………………23515251.……………...…32.09

You may also want to consider carrying the following as well:

Synchronous Reference Sensor……………..08929387.………....……..$71.81

Timing Reference Sensor……………………….08929388.……………….52.50

rfoster
07-20-2009, 09:50 PM
Add to the list:

Throttle Position Sensor.

Installs on the underside of the throttle pedal.

About 100 Lew bucks ?? Part no. and Prevost price I do not know as I bought mine from someplace while on the road near Flagstaff.

Engine will idle but will not accelerate- not even fast idle.

dale farley
07-20-2009, 10:07 PM
These are DD part #s. You can find them at Detroit shops and at many marine shops. You can get some varied prices. I have ordered most of mine from eBay at a significantly reduced price.

GDeen
07-22-2009, 02:44 PM
Dale,

I am passing by a Freightliner dealer in Lubbock on our way to the mountains Friday. They have everything in stock ~ the prices listed here. Do you happen to have the throttle sensor number handy?

If not, I can try to pull numbers off the part itself. (spent a couple of hours under there yesterday wireing my Smartire - should have checked then:rolleyes:). Guy said it is probably a Bendix or Williams part.

jack14r
07-22-2009, 06:04 PM
When I was at Covington DD last week the technician told me that if the oil pressure sensor failed it could be unplugged and the check engine light and message would continue to be active but with it unplugged the motor would run normal,but you would have no protection from low on no oil pressure.

dale farley
07-22-2009, 11:34 PM
Gordon, I don't know the # for the throttle sensor. I had asked the same question earlier and never got a response from anyone.

Jon Wehrenberg
07-23-2009, 06:39 AM
I believe there are a number of throttle position sensors so if someone wants to carry a spare they will need one specific to the bus. If my recollection is correct Roger had to find the correct number for the one he replaced when he was out west.

Roger?

rfoster
07-23-2009, 08:38 AM
Sorry to say that I do not have part number handy.

At the time no one had the correct part number in stock around the Flagstaff, Grand Canyon, Williams, Arizona area when I needed it. However I was able to find a Williams shop in Flagstaff that was willing to take a look at the one I had and compared it to the ones he had in stock and was able to come up with a match even though the part numbers were not even close.

Even after visually comparing the two (new vs old bad one) we were not sure it would work until it was installed and plugged into the bus. I was very pleased as I was in Williams AZ and two days from getting a part even overnighted to the campground.

I will try and look up the number - but have to go to work now. It's a goverment thing.

GDeen
07-23-2009, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the efforts - I will look at mine tonight and see what numbers I can get. Problem is, for me to read numbers I need to be about 3 ft away from the source....may not be enough real estate down there...