PDA

View Full Version : Kickspace Heater in Country Coach

dale farley
07-04-2009, 09:49 PM
I am wondering if any of the CC owners have kickspace heaters. I don't know where, but in one of my electrical schematics, I saw that the bus has wires for 2 of these heaters.

If anyone has them, I need to see exactly where they are installed. I assume one would be to the left of the OTR air duct in the kitchen and the other would be somewhre in the bathroom. I am thinking about installing a couple in our bus. I can get them with thermostats for about $137 each.

Yes, I do realize I don't need heaters at this time since the temperature has been about 100 every day for the last month!! They would have come in handy last year when we were in Yellowstone. Most of the time we just used a couple portable heaters set to the low setting of 700W.

dale farley
07-05-2009, 08:20 AM
Does the lack of response mean none of the CC guys have these heaters, or are they all off somewhere celebrating the 4th?

dreamchasers
07-05-2009, 08:41 AM
Dale,

I'm still here, just tired from all the fireworks last night.

However, I have heard of others mentioning kickspace heaters. I was waiting to see the responses. If I have kickspace heaters, I have not found them yet.

Hector

dale farley
07-05-2009, 09:13 AM
Hector,

I had them in my last bus, and they were all I needed most of the time. They won't heat the bus if the weather is constantly cold, but they will work fine for driving out the chill.

rahangman
07-05-2009, 10:18 AM
We have 2 of them, one under the computer desk behind CoPilot seat, one in the Bedroom and they provide all the heat electrically ! We also have 3 Webasto grids, one in dash area, one in kitchen and one in the bedroom that also feeds into the bath. When we have been in really cold weather (Ohio last Christmas nights got to -30 windchill) we used a small 1000watt on the kitchen counter to augment, but all in all, have done well. Not a sauna but comfortable. As for Ohio over Christmas, may have been our last!

truk4u
07-05-2009, 11:26 AM
Dale,

Jamies CC doesn't have the kicks either. I couldn't believe the CC didn't have them, what a mistake. My Liberty has them and they have been used often, just like my previous Marathon. They should be located in the galley and bath area.

Joe Cannarozzi
07-05-2009, 11:44 AM
I thought Tullys CC had a couple but not sure.

Ours has no fewer than 6, 1 being in the plumbing bay.

This is good for northerners like us probably overkill in terms of redundancy in the heating system for most.

They pull a 13/14 amp each. Dale have you given any thought to what leg you will hook up specific heaters to.

IMO the converters do a pretty good job equally separating electrical components to keep draws on both legs close but they can not foresee what type of service it will see most often.

On ours the hot water heater was on the same leg that 2 of our 3 criusairs are on. I moved it over to the other bank and it is sharing power with only 1 a/c instead of 2. I then had to move a couple toe kicks the other way for equal draw in cooler conditions.

rfoster
07-05-2009, 11:44 AM
Dale: My 03 CC does not have the heaters.

My old Liberty was equipped with them so I know what you are speaking of. We rarely used them in the Liberty, so I havn't missed them in the CC. We use the heated floors or the roof mounted heat pumps, and if it gets gold enough we will turn on the hurricane.

dale farley
07-05-2009, 02:11 PM
Joe,

I think they should work fine if I place them on the same circuits that the OTR Air units run from. There should never be a time when both the heater and OTR Air will be on at the same time.

Roger, If I had the heated floors, I too would not need the kickspace heaters. If I can figure out how to install the heated floor without removing the tile, maybe I'll do that. Or maybe you should trade buses with me, and my problem would be solved. When Joe gives me the 6 sensors, I'll let them go in the trade.

Joe Cannarozzi
07-05-2009, 02:45 PM
Now he thinks I'm Santa Claus

LarryB
07-05-2009, 06:39 PM
Dale, our coach does Not have the toe-kick heaters, I always felt that they were not as flexible as using portable space heaters [heat where you want it].

JIM KELLER
07-05-2009, 07:34 PM
Dale, My Coach, a sister to your Coach does not have them. I can think of many times when they would have been great.

mike kerley
07-06-2009, 09:40 AM
Dale, Ours is much older, but we have two. One in the galley area just below the sink, next to the CC OTR AC output (galley unit) and the second in the bedroom, just forward of the R/H window in the base of the tall hanging closet. top of the closet has the bedroom Cruise Air evaporator unit. They help on cool mornings, or in the evening to take the chill off the air, best I can remember, its been so long since its been cool down here!

dale farley
07-06-2009, 10:05 AM
Larry,

While in Yellowstone, we were uing two 700W/1500W space heaters that cost about $15 each, and they worked find. I just got tired of them sitting around in the way all the time.

One advantage to installing the toe kick units is that they would be on their own circuits and wouldn't load the wall plugs as the portable space heaters did. We had to watch the use of other things such as coffee pots, toasters and hair dryers when using the space heaters.

LarryB
07-06-2009, 11:34 AM
Dale, I agree on both your points. I suppose I just am taking the easy way out.

I grant you that having hardwired, installed heaters, would make for a much nicer application and a more professional way to approach it. Let me know how you progress with this and maybe I will follow your lead.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
07-06-2009, 01:37 PM
Dale, my American has 1 toe kick heater in the bathroom under the cabinets.

Non functional at the moment, ( fuse I think ) but since it was 104 yesterday where we were in Austin I didn't miss it? :eek:

I have the info about them on the bus if you need to know about where to purchase? Let me know or PM me.

Gary S.

Jon Wehrenberg
07-06-2009, 01:56 PM
We had a coachful of electric toe space heaters in our 87 Liberty, and we have two in our current coach.

I wish we had as many as we had in the original coach. In that we had one under the bed, in the bath, in the kitchen and in the entry area near the front door. When we were running the generator we used these heaters and they worked great because they were tied into the thermostats which also controlled the propane furnaces. If we had the 120 Volt switches to the heaters turned on the default was to the electric heaters, and if the switch was off the default was to the propane furnaces.

When on shore power we had some energy management but we could keep the coach warm in some fairly cold temperatures with the toe space heater. We did not have Webasto or heat pump Cruise Airs.

The current coach only has the toe space heaters in the bath area and the kitchen. They work well, but are limited to taking the chill off on a cool morning. If it gets cold we use the Webasto, but the electric heaters are good for the mid range morning cool temps.

dale farley
07-06-2009, 03:41 PM
Gary,

The best price I've seen is $137 plus $10 for shipping. This is one with a thermostat, dual heat (750-1500) and can be used on 110 or 220.

http://us-dc1-order.store.yahoo.net/cgi-bin/wg-order?ysco_key_event_id=&ysco_key_store_id=electricsupplieson-line&sectionId=ysco.cart

Joe Cannarozzi
07-06-2009, 04:27 PM
We have Dayton heaters Granger has them, others as well.

Denny
07-06-2009, 11:34 PM
Dale,

Do not have toe kick heaters in our CC #60385. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you but have not been on computer last several days.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
07-07-2009, 12:10 AM
Dale, that is about what I paid for the replacement I needed. Still don't have the name handy, sorry. :o

Gary S.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
07-07-2009, 12:23 AM
Dale, Marley S1100 A is the brand and Model # I have, it also comes in a 220v S1104A model.

Gary S.

JIM CHALOUPKA
07-07-2009, 07:32 AM
Denny, you have to get out from under your work!;):D:D

JIM

Denny
07-07-2009, 10:04 AM
You are correct Jim. I am buried by my work.

Jon Wehrenberg
07-07-2009, 11:35 AM
That's because people in your area are dying to do business with you.

michaeldterry
07-07-2009, 12:15 PM
That's because people in your area are dying to do business with you.

I'm betting Denny could retire if he only a dollar for every time he's heard that one! :p

Jon Wehrenberg
07-07-2009, 02:18 PM
Which is why I said it. I was in a related business and the same jokes have been repeated forever. You can count on Denny. He's the last guy to let you down.

michaeldterry
07-07-2009, 04:30 PM
Which is why I said it. I was in a related business and the same jokes have been repeated forever. You can count on Denny. He's the last guy to let you down.

Yeah - I guess a hitman would be "related". :p

Jon Wehrenberg
07-07-2009, 04:36 PM
I made the concrete boxes. Denny fills them.

Tully
07-08-2009, 08:20 AM
Joe is right- I have three heaters. One in the kitchen, bath and back bedroom. They will cook you right out of the bus.

Tully