PDA

View Full Version : Under Bus Foam

CAPT MOGUL & Sandy
07-02-2009, 08:38 AM
We had work done at Prevost Nashville last week
that had to remove some of the foam on the underside. The service Tec offered to replace it for $ 500.00 explaining that it comes in a two part kit that does a huge area. I declined. Has any one experience replacing this foam. I dont think the stuff at Home Depot will stick.

Did you know Indiana has a 20 cent per gallon tax over and above the Posted price posted on the X Way? Expensive reminder for good fuel management.

Ed

Joe Cannarozzi
07-02-2009, 11:48 AM
Ed I am pretty sure that you need foam specific to a exterior application to do it correctly.

Ed and all others. There are a handful of states that are "surcharge states" in terms of fuel taxes for diesel for commercial vehicles. Indiana is one of them I know Kentucky is another. The give away is it will say under the price "exempt trucks only". Too complicated to explain further

It is my experience that many stops do not inquire if you use the semi islands. I always arm myself with an ICC and DOT# off of a truck in the lot in case asked when paying. Although slightly unlawful I have never had any issues and you will only be charged the advertized price.

Loc
07-02-2009, 12:26 PM
Ed,

I found out about the Indiana extra tax charge on our trip back from Michigan last week. I opted to pass up the Flying J in Michigan for one in Gary. The price on the price sheet looked better. Oh well, you live and learn. I will plan all future stops to avoid fueling in Indiana.

Loc

Joe Cannarozzi
07-02-2009, 02:43 PM
Gary Indiana, along with Knoxville are regularly the cheapest fuel. Don't avoid it:confused::confused::confused:

Just spit out an ICC# if they ask.

If you don't like the idea of using one off a truck invent one.

truk4u
07-02-2009, 08:29 PM
Give them a DOT number, the MC number and ICC is long gone and they may think you just got off the turnip truck!:D

Joe Cannarozzi
07-02-2009, 10:51 PM
What Tom you bring that bus all the way up here and fuel at the same places I do? Stop by the next time you fuel up.

I have never had a turnip.:o;) There is a Speedway in Hammond, they do not even ask. That is very common here in N-W Indiana.

I am trying to help provide some info on circumstances in my neck of the woods, not anywhere else, what you do with it is your choice.:)

I just went in to my files and here is the skinny. 3 states: Ind-11cents per gal (Ed if you were charged 20 cents they took you)

Kentucky-8.4 cents per gal for non exempt vehicles and Virginia 3.5 cents a gal. Those are the only states where this surcharge phenomenon will occur.

The truckers do pay that added tax too. They get separated from their money quarterly when they have to file IFTA when, for example, they will be "surcharged" .11 cents a gal for every gal they got in Indiana during that time.

When you are in these states and want to do it according to the law you need to add these amounts to the advertised pump price and when you get to the desk tell them you are NOT exempt.

So all you fly boys going to Osh Gosh comin right through Gary don't be stopping in Indiana where you will undoubtedly be looking at some of the lowest advertised fuel prices in the country. You will need to find a more expensive alternative.

Weren't we supposed to be talking spray foam

Jon Wehrenberg
07-03-2009, 07:43 AM
I'll get this back on track.

If Prevost had to remove some foam to do a repair, then the repair is not complete until they restore the foam.

Charging you extra to replace the foam is BS. Is Prevost so hard up they are starting to look for more ways to vacuum the Lewbucks from our wallets?

If I had to replace the foam that was removed to do the repair I would likely get a small spray foam kit and do it myself. I think there are places that sell small aerosol cans and the two part kits for larger jobs.

truk4u
07-03-2009, 08:31 AM
Joe,

You missed the whole point, I was breaking your chops about the ICC number being extinct. Lighten up a little, didn't you see the smiley face?:D:D

PS - I choose not to be extorted by excess state fuel taxes in the bus and plan accordingly. 250 gallons....

Jerry Winchester
07-03-2009, 08:38 AM
While I agree with Jon that the job isn't finished until it is returned in the same shape you gave it too them in, I have to think changing for it would be reasonable.

I think the issue is there may not be a way to get a small quantity of the stuff mixed up or once you open the stuff up you have to mix it or it goes bad. This occurs with lots of things, but I admit to not knowing much about this kind of foam.

dale farley
07-03-2009, 10:10 AM
A couple weeks ago I was looking for some spray-on insulation and found this on line. I haven't seen smaller quantities except the ones you buy from Home Depot for $6 a can, and they won't stick when being sprayed upside down. It looks like their smallest quantity is $30.
http://www.sprayfoamdirect.com/produ...mart/Itemid,1/ (http://www.sprayfoamdirect.com/products/component/vmcchk,1/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,1/)

phorner
07-03-2009, 10:31 AM
You can make a "form" to hold the spray foam out of several layers of newspaper. It will be strong enough to hold the foam in place (just be careful to not over-fill; that stuff expands like crazy!) and you can peel off the newspaper when cured.

Not easy, and can be REAL messy, but if it's in an area where appearance isn't a priority is worth a try.

CAPT MOGUL & Sandy
07-03-2009, 04:40 PM
Thanks for the WEB site for the foam. The mechanic said that he was told to tell me that to replace the foam would cost $ 500.00 and that it was a two part kit that could not be reused after it was started. He also stated that canned foam would not work as it will not stick.

The fuel thing is a sore topic in our bus. When we first hooked up I was driving the American Eagle with Montana plates. She was new to this so she did not question anything I said. When we would fuel in Indiana I would ask her to write down a DOT number so we could get the discount on the fuel. She didnt think that was quite right but asked how I thought I could explain the commercial side of my venture. After 1 heartbeat I replied that we have a freezer in one bay and we transport frozen Buffalo semen. I dont hear too well so I didnt catch her comment. Well last year returning from Spearfish we stopped at the Iron City fuel stop in Gary IN, Sandra went into the station with cash and DOT number in hand. Meanwhile a chap walked up while I was fueling and copied the description of our rig and our tag number. Sensing trouble I explained our mission and our hurry to get on the road. I was done fueling and no Sandra so I ambled to the station. Lets not go any further but say things are much different now, I have to go in and do the finance stuff. True story but dont you dare ever ask Sandra about Buffalo Semen.
Ed

Jon Wehrenberg
07-03-2009, 06:49 PM
Yeah, right. You just shared a secret with about 300 of your closest friends. I won't say anything, but I want to folllow her around OKC to see the reaction when folks start asking what her role is in the Buffalo Semen production process is.