PDA

View Full Version : That Ben Guy

just2
07-01-2009, 10:22 PM
Hey POG members... it's Ben. The guy in the '97 Liberty that showed up at the first rally and the Kerville rally and hasn't been on the POG site in what feels like ages.

Yo Mango... YO JW, Hey Jon... Lew, whut's up... it's been ages.

I happen to be parked in front of a POG member in Elkhart, IN and they're letting me post this.

If you want to keep up with me, visit whereisben.com

-Ben

Orren Zook
07-01-2009, 11:57 PM
Ben,

What's your status with your Flexible project? no mention of it since 05/09 - how did you make out at that auction?

MangoMike
07-02-2009, 08:19 AM
I don't know any stikin' Ben guy.

ok I do.

Ben was part of the original dirty dozen from POG I at Polk City, FL.

I miss you man!

Show up in the fall at OKC.

Love,

Mango

NB: Besides being able to drive a Prevo, Ben is internationally famous for his How To Photoshop Books and lectures.
http://www.digitalmastery.com/content/view/237/104/

...and has used his Photoshop talents on his personal photo on the jacket of his books.

dalej
07-02-2009, 01:59 PM
Hey Ben,

It looks like you ran across Gary and Dani Moss! I'm very surprised! How did you ever get them to let you in their bus? :)

I'm kinda of thinking we won't hear a reply. That Ben dude must be on the run. :)

MangoMike
08-13-2009, 11:38 AM
Our buddy Ben Willmore, one of the original dirty dozen from POG I has vintage bus fever.

He's currently searching for one of these.

Details on his search and reasoning on his blog. He's being guided by Jay Leno's mechanic who has one and claims 13mpg plus a top speed of 120mph.

http://www.whereisben.com/whereisben/the-vintage-bus-project.html

Ben is also putting together a Coffee Table book on Route 66, here is a pix from that endeavor that Epson is using in one of their ads. Note the photo is from his HDR (high dynamic range) collection.

mm

Coloradobus
08-13-2009, 03:33 PM
Ben, MIke, These are nice ideas. From restoring vintage airstream trailers standpoint, the cost is less if you buy one already done. Just like remodeling a house, for instance our current Sear Catalog house, circa 1915.
Two years into it, we are almost done. We are way over the original remodel estimate, along with feelings of being overwhelmed, " what have we gotten ourselves into?
Jay Leno et al have the bucks and the manpower to do a Flxible Bus remodel/re-manufacture.
Ben, if you are considering solar on a Flx, why not put some on you Liberty.
EarthRoamer, of Broomfield, Colorado is a 25 minute drive from us.
We have seen the product, albeit pricey, has a great concept and function.
We were considering adopting similar gadgets in an airstream such as diesel stove and furnace.
In the long run, it would be cheaper for Ben to buy an Earthroamer conversion, than redo a vintage bus.

http://www.earthroamer.com/tab_xpedition_vehicles/vehicles.html

Ray Davis
08-13-2009, 04:04 PM
Ben mentions in his article/blog that one of the things he will do is go with 100% LED lighting. Currently my Marathon has a LOT of halogen lights throughout the coach. Does anyone know if there are LED plugin replacements for these lights? They are nice and bright, but they are also seriously hot, and I'm sure it would limit battery usage when boondocking with LED lights.

I happened to be at a home depot last week, but didn't see anything that was even remotely close.

ray

jonnie
08-13-2009, 07:07 PM
Ray,

Try this: OPTRONICSINC.COM

I would have done a link but I don't know how.

John

tdelorme
08-13-2009, 07:45 PM
Ray,

Try this: OPTRONICSINC.COM

I would have done a link but I don't know how.

John
Here you go, Johnnie. Great looking site.

http://www.optronicsinc.com/

MangoMike
10-27-2009, 08:30 PM
With the purchase of a 1963 Flxible Starliner.

He plans on upgrading the engine and transmission, along with a new interior.

Yes, he's keeping the Liberty until the project is finished.

Follow the whole story over at www.whereisben.com

GDeen
10-27-2009, 10:41 PM
With the purchase of a 1963 Flxible Starliner.

He plans on upgrading the engine and transmission, along with a new interior.

Yes, he's keeping the Liberty until the project is finished.

Follow the whole story over at www.whereisben.com

Cool looking bus!

Read through the bus conversions mag forums periodically - interesting group with lots of knowledge.

Will Garner
10-28-2009, 07:43 PM
Mike,

Here are a couple photos of a Flx Starliner, including the badging. I met the owner of this one in Wade NC last April. Quite the nice conversion.

What makes a Flx a Starliner is the glass wrapped across the roofline about 1/3 the way toward the back.

The owner did his own conversion work. He resides in Nashville, NC. Perhaps Ben should try and get in touch with him, first name David, through the Flxible Owners Group.

charlesebrownjr
10-29-2009, 09:29 PM
Ben mentions in his article/blog that one of the things he will do is go with 100% LED lighting. Currently my Marathon has a LOT of halogen lights throughout the coach. Does anyone know if there are LED plugin replacements for these lights? They are nice and bright, but they are also seriously hot, and I'm sure it would limit battery usage when boondocking with LED lights.

I happened to be at a home depot last week, but didn't see anything that was even remotely close.

ray

Try this site Ray (superbrightleds.com)

garyde
10-29-2009, 11:01 PM
Hi Ray
The incandescent halogens lamps are 24 volt. You have to find a vendor for that voltage but your lamp holder and trim would have to be modified or replaced. Additionally, the Led's which put off any light are much bigger and require their own fixture. So, to answer the question, a retrofit probably would'nt give off enough light even if you could find the right type.

Ray Davis
10-30-2009, 06:22 PM
I did at one point find a link with supposed direct replacements for halogen lights. But, they were for up to 18 volts. I really haven't measured the voltage at my lights. Gary says 24v. I was assuming 12v, but really have no idea.

Steve Bennett and Kevin Erion indicated they didn't like the thought of LED lights because they were the wrong color, a cooler blue-white, vs the warming reddish of the halogen.