PDA

View Full Version : Refrigerator Relay

dale farley
06-30-2009, 04:11 PM
I went out this morning to perform my monthly run of everything on the bus, and the refrigerator would not run. I wasn't sure of the procedure for removing it, but I now have done it, so I will share that with others who have a CC.

I am not 100% sure it is the start relay, but it is the most common component to go bad; and I checked the amperage draw on the compressor, and it appears to be normal. Removed the old relay, and it was blazing hot, so I assume it is burned inside. Tapped on the old relay a little and put it back on, and the compressor started.

My refrigerator is a Whirlpool, Model ED20TQ. The start relay is a part # WHP2262185. You don't need the WHP when searching for the part. After significant searching, I ordered the relay from www.ApplianceZone.com (http://www.ApplianceZone.com) for $29.90 including shipping. Another source is www.AppliancePartsPros.com (http://www.AppliancePartsPros.com). The relay is also available from most local appliance parts houses at a higher price.

Note: You can probably replace the relay without disconnecting the electric power cord and ice maker water line. I disconnected everything, because I wanted to be able to turn the unit completely around and clean the fan and coils while I had it out.

Below are the steps I took in removing the unit and replacing the start relay. This should apply to most of the CC buses that are about the same vintage as mine. This would be easier with two people, but since Paulette was at work today, I was the only one around, so I did it by myself.

1. Remove the dinette table by removing the 4 screws that hold the decorative cover then remove the 4 bolts. Be prepared to suppor the weight of the table. It is heavy.
2. Rmove the front cover on bottom of refrigerator unit.
3. Open the little cabinet above unit and remove 2 screws that hold the top trim above the unit.
4. Remove carpet and bottom panel from pantry just to left of refrigerator. This will allow you to unplug the unit. Takes less than 5 minutes.
5. Place 1/4" paneling or thick cardboard in front of the unit so you roll unit out without scratching the floor.
6. Remove the front panel from bottom of the unit. It just snaps on. Use small pry bar to raise unit a little while you pull on both sides of unit at the same time. The pry bar raises the unit a little from where the wheels have sunken and made an impression. I placed the pry bar under the metal lip of the front of the unit, stepped on it and pulled the unit forward.
7. Disconnect ice maker line at rear. Hold large brass nut with a wrench while turning the plastic connector. Be prepared to catch the water that runs out the line.
8. Remove cover from relay on left side of compressor. Place a large flat blade screwdriver in the lip on top of the cover and turn to left while gently pulling on the cover.
9. Remove relay by inserting a screwdriver between it and the compressor and gently pry it off.
10. Replace relay. Check operation of refrigerator, and make sure you connect water line and check for leaks before pushing unit back in the wall.
<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p

dale farley
06-30-2009, 04:17 PM
The rest of the pictures:

Jerry Winchester
06-30-2009, 04:46 PM
You are one handy dude. Where were you when the Krakman's fridge took a crap in front of my hanger?

It took three of us to lift that POS out of the Liberty and two Mexican Americans to diagnose it as DOA.

phorner
06-30-2009, 04:52 PM
Nice post, Dale.

And great pix!

garyde
06-30-2009, 11:02 PM
Hi Dale. You make it look easy. The one thing I have to remember when working on my Coach is patience thru out the task.
Good Job.

dale farley
06-30-2009, 11:59 PM
Gary, The removal was actually easier than I expected. Of course, I didn't mention in the first post that I thought I broke my foot when the bracket that holds the table fell on the top of my foot when I removed the last bolt.

I was sitting under the table thinking I would support it with my head and shoulders when I removed the bolts. It was heavier than I expected and came down pretty hard on my foot. I have a nice bruise across the foot, but I'll know better next time.

Jon Wehrenberg
07-01-2009, 07:05 AM
I'm beginning to think there should be warning labels on buses.

Roger breaks an ankle while attempting to fix an awning, Dan breaks his a$$ and a whole lot more when he is attecked by the floor slide, and now Dale breaks his foot.

I think if this keeps up none of us will be able to get insurance unless we agree to stop working on our bus and take up something less dangerous like alligator wrestling.

JIM KELLER
07-01-2009, 07:33 AM
Dale, What a great post ! I will order the same part and with your step by step procedure replace my relay at home instead of on the road somewhere.

I don't think you should be allowed to stay in retirement. With this kind of aptitude, your centralized location, easy access, acreage, pit,etc. you should open a POG Repair Facility. You could sublet to Joe and Jon, use Roger for " Bling Accessories " and Jim C. could be your diagnostic research guru.

I know I would be first in line to sign up for a laundry list of things that always need to be done !

MangoMike
07-01-2009, 08:36 AM
Dale,

Nice tutorial.

You've made it a lot easier for the next guy.

Mike

dale farley
07-01-2009, 08:58 AM
Thanks for everyone's comments. The old foot is a little sore this morning, but I've had horses to step on it an make it worse than this is. Next time, I'll get Paulette to hold one end of the table before I take the bolts out.

truk4u
07-01-2009, 09:40 AM
Nice job Dale, you CC guys are fortunate to not have the Liberty raised platform to deal with and unlike the Amana, yours is repairable!

I think the Tool Man has come up with something good here, when is the pit open?:eek:

mike kerley
07-01-2009, 09:59 AM
Nice post Dale,

Your right about it not being to hard to remove. Once you know how.

Great pictures. We have an Amana in ours, so a different failure is sure to come our way.

Great job.

rfoster
07-01-2009, 10:05 AM
Dale: Great post. Sorry to hear about your foot. You need at least two of em to work to make things go right.

That is very useful info. How About all of us CC guys show up at your place for R&R? Refrigerator and Recuperation?

dale farley
07-01-2009, 11:48 AM
Roger/Tom, You and any others are welcome anytime. I don't have a palatial estate, but I do have a pit. Plenty of parking for a few buses, and even more if you don't mind sharing a space with a few horses.

My foot is okay today. I've been crawling around in a 150 degree attic this morning reinforcing an electrical box so I can hang another ceiling fan.

Denny
04-26-2010, 09:58 PM
I went out to bus barn to check on things and found that the refrigerator was not working. Fortunately, there was no food, only water, cans, non spoil stuff, so there no odor to contend with. I remember Dale (Roadrunner) having an excellent post with photos, tools and instructions on repairing his refrigerator. After a quick search on POG, the information was readily available. Dale had a relay go bad so that is where I started since our coaches are the same year. Dale even provided the part number to make things even easier. I replaced the relay and everything is working fine now.

A big hearty thanks to Dale, for his excellent post on his problems, and to POG. Without POG this would have been a major problem.

dale farley
04-26-2010, 11:17 PM
Denny, I'm glad that solved your problem. Dale