PDA

View Full Version : Dan Smith is in the hospital

Jon Wehrenberg
06-28-2009, 09:14 PM
Sandy and Ed called this evening and asked that I post news that Dan Smith had an accident while putting his coach away. It was told to me he was on the second step when the floor slide was activated, and it knocked him to the ground. Dan has a broken pelvis and ribs.

According to Sandy and Ed he is in good spirits.

When Ed and Sandy can get a computer tomorrow (they are at Prevost Nashville) they will post details.

This happened several days ago which explains why Dan has not posted.

dale farley
06-28-2009, 09:57 PM
I really hate to hear that about Dan. Thanks for letting us know.

dalej
06-28-2009, 10:22 PM
Sorry to hear about that.

Jan and I hope you get to feeling better Dan!

Did Jo hit the slide cover Dan when you were coming in the bus? :)

rfoster
06-28-2009, 11:17 PM
So Sorry to hear about the accident. Get well quicker. Were you trying the Jeseco Mountain Dance?

All you Poggers pay attention, broken and hurt bones ain't what we need or want.

Wish we were closer I would offer to help with the eating.

garyde
06-28-2009, 11:47 PM
Dan, wishing you a quick recovery and hopefully we'll see you at Oaklahoma.

michaeldterry
06-29-2009, 07:19 AM
Dan - Vita and I wish you a speedy recovery! We'll keep you in our thoughts.

Joe Cannarozzi
06-29-2009, 07:23 AM
Get well soon Dan.

The step air pressure is adjustable with a regulator most located in the steering bay.

For safety sake it is there and it should not be so high that it can knock you off a step but rather turned up just enough to get the step to function, maybe 20 psi.

IMO opening it while standing on a step (a lower one initially) is a good litmus test to see if it is set low enough. IMO it should not have enough force to push you off.

phorner
06-29-2009, 09:02 AM
Dan,

Sorry to hear about your accident.

Are you and Roger competing for some kind of award come OKC???:eek:

Get well soon. :)

Pete
06-29-2009, 09:23 AM
Dan, sorry to hear about your accident. E.J. and I were just talking about how we enjoyed you and Jo and the others while in Titusville. Hope you recover soon.

edsaylor
06-29-2009, 11:06 AM
Dan:

Donna and I are very sorry to hear about your accident. Hope you get better soon. I am assuming you are not on the coast. If you come home in the next few days, call me.

bonhall41
06-29-2009, 11:29 AM
Dan,
Donald and I both wish you a speedy recovery. Hope you're feeling better soon.

Bonnie

JIM CHALOUPKA
06-29-2009, 01:34 PM
Get well soon Dan, your still my drawer removal expert and best friend!

JIM :)

sawdust_128
06-29-2009, 02:05 PM
Dan: C and I wish you a speedy return to dancing and cavorting.:)

P.S. Was there any damage to the coach?:rolleyes::eek:

jimshoen
06-29-2009, 04:20 PM
I can concur on the adjustment of the pressure to the step air cylinder. I have mine set around 25 PSI even though it is placarded for 50 or 60 psi max. My experience is that the higher pressure is needed as the seals in the air cylinder fail. Additionally the MAC control valve in many coaches is adjustable so you can control the speed at which the step cover moves. So if you can reduce the pressure going to the slide and slow down the movement you can hopefully prevent any accidents. There has been instances of children playing in the coach with the entrance door closed and a child on the steps while someone else or the child activates the step cover to close. This can cause a serious pinching accident.

Jamie Bradford
06-29-2009, 08:54 PM
Dan

So sorry to hear this........

We wish you a very speedy recovery:)

Jamie & Debbie

truk4u
06-29-2009, 09:53 PM
Dan,

Get well soon, we need more shrimp!:p

CAPT MOGUL & Sandy
06-29-2009, 11:04 PM
Sorry to be late with this update but having problems with internet access at Prevost Nashville today.
As Jo told us: Dan had just had the bus washed on Tuesday and went to put her away that evening. He stepped up on to the 2nd step to cut"?" off and hit the slide button. It hit him in the shins and knocked him out the door on to the ground. He landed flat on his back and was knocked out. How long--I don't know.He tried to call Jo on her cell( her cell was off) and both his son's (no answers). Jo had gone to the store and then went home and realized Dan wasn't home yet and went to the bus and found him. She got him to hospital there in Bay St.Louis and he went in to shock going in to the ER. He had mutiple fractured ribs and a fractured pelvis. Has had to have some transfusions due to low blood count. As of yesterday(Sunday), he was stable. Ed and I talked to him at the hospital on his phone and was in good spirits. Ed tried to make him laugh:( Not good with broken ribs!):eek:
I will try and update tomorrow after I talk to Jo.
Had to get a hotel room tonight due to no power on our bus while they are working on it 24/7.Had to pull all house batteries.(No power-No toilet/water/AC). Busy Place but VERY NICE facility. Saw & spoke to Bill Jenson today at Prevost. I guess he was visiting/working Nashville today.The place is so new that he had to ask ME the code to the gate, so he could get out.:D
All for now...Sandy

MangoMike
06-29-2009, 11:12 PM
Dan,

Sorry about the accident, but glad you didn't join the rest of the celebrities who've made the news this week.

Mike

JIM KELLER
07-01-2009, 07:50 AM
Dan, Karen and I extend our wishes for a speedy recovery. Have them bring you a laptop in the hospital so we all can communicate with you !

mcirco
07-01-2009, 10:29 AM
Hi Dan,
Laura and I wish you quick and complete recovery. Although you may have given us an new idea for intruder control tied into our alarm systems by activating the cover when an intruder steps of the first or second step. Maybe we don't need our guns anymore.

Miles & Laura Circo
2004 Country Coach XLII D/S

CAPT MOGUL & Sandy
07-01-2009, 04:58 PM
Dan was discharged from the hospital yesterday!!!:):):) He was on his way home when I talked to him and doing OK. He said that he would probably get on the computer today if possible. I'm sure he is glad to be home. He said that the plastic bed in the hospital wasn't much fun:(.
Sandy

phorner
07-01-2009, 05:58 PM
That's great news! Glad to hear they sprung ya, Dan!

Broken ribs take a while to heal, so easy does it.....

rfoster
07-01-2009, 10:55 PM
:cool:Go Dan Go. :D:p

I spoke with Jo and Dan both on the phone today, he is at home and says that bus really kicked his but. He was in great spirits and sounded great. It was good to hear from them.

He stated his bus is still parked at the office were the accident happened so if anyone is passing close to Diamond Head Ms. - offer to park his bus in the shed for him. As you know these buses are precious and he doesn't permit just anyone to drive it. I hear Not even his kids. I can understand that.

Get well sooner.

edsaylor
07-02-2009, 11:21 AM
Dan: I will be happy to come over to Diamondhead and park your "attack bus" tomorrow (Friday) and see you. It was good to talk to you the other day. Glad you are better.