PDA

View Full Version : Tire pressure gauge

jelmore
06-27-2009, 09:23 PM
I'm on my third tire pressure gauge and this one is now no good. I think when they start to fail, and it well could be operator error, the readings are inconsistent. Could be 60 lbs, could be 90 lbs, could be 75 lbs, from the same tire, consecutive readings. I can't stand it.

I guess price isn't really a consideration, it just has to be accurate.

Do you have one that works well?

Darrell and Linda
06-27-2009, 09:31 PM
I'm with ya. I have three in my tool box and they are all inaccurate. Inconsistent in readings. They range from 5, 10 to 20 psig out. The last one I bought was the $21.00 yellow handle trucker tuff and it's the same as the $10.00 cheapo.

Jon Wehrenberg
06-27-2009, 09:47 PM
I have a $14 combination gauge and tire chuck with the straight foot so I can reach into the inner dual valve stem. The gauge was bought at Walmart,

I have two others I check it against, one a no name brand conventional tire gauge and the other a Milton combination gauge and tire chuck. They are all within 5 PSI. The Walmart reads the lowest and it is easiest to use so I use that one regularly. I have always added 5 PSI to the recommended pressures so I could be as high as 10 PSI over inflated, but I assume a little over inflation is far better than low. I have no clue if any of the three are accurate beyond the fact they are all relatively close.

aggies09
06-28-2009, 10:51 AM
I can appreciate the frustration of this post. I recently went through the same examination and purchased a new gauge from Matco Tools. So far, I am happy with this one, but it is new. It may have the same inconsistencies as it ages, but for now, I am content.

Good luck. I would be interested in seeing any other comments as to thoughts of gauges that are deemed worthy of owning.

Jon Wehrenberg
06-28-2009, 11:05 AM
Here is a photo of all three of my gauges. The top one is a Milton, a sturdy one that I use as a backup to my Walmart one below it. The cheap Walmart gauge is always within a few pounds of the Milton and the conventional gauge below it.

All have straight foot tire chucks. I do not use extensions on my valve stems, but do use fill through the cap valve caps that alllow me to check and fill without removing the cap. The caps double seal.

http://www.alltiresupply.com/p-43-098.html

The link is for a bag of 50.

Joe Cannarozzi
06-28-2009, 11:29 AM
It is important and I want to note out the STRAIGHT end on all of all the misc. chucks shown above.

If you have one that is on a 40 degree angle. throw it out it WILL NOT WORK and IS THE INCORRECT TOOL.

Especially when trying to air through and in the smaller holes on the 9 inch rims.

JIM CHALOUPKA
06-28-2009, 02:20 PM
I also have a question that somewhat fits this thread.

I have a pressure gauge that reads to 200 psi.

The specification certificate that came with the gauge reads:

ACCURACY: Combined non-linearity, hysteresis and repeatability +/- 0.15% Full Scale for all ranges. Figure includes setting accuracy at 25 deg. C.

My question is what is the accuracy in pounds per square inch +/- of that which is indicated on the gauge.

If it is an acceptable value I will bring the gauge to OKC and anyone wishing to check their gauge may do so.

JIM

Jon Wehrenberg
06-28-2009, 02:30 PM
Wouldn't it be +/- .15% of full scale or 200 X.0015=+/-.3?

.3 PSI seems like a very tight range, but your figure was .15% or .0015. My guess is there is a decimal point where it should not be.

JIM CHALOUPKA
06-28-2009, 02:41 PM
Jon, the number on the certificate is +/- 0.15%.

I came up with the same number you did, so I guess I didn't misinterpret anything. It just seemed too accurate,......

I will bring the gauge to OKC and we can play with it.

The gauge has a digital readout.

JIM

hhoppe
06-28-2009, 03:18 PM
Way to go Jon. You just cost me $51.82 for valve caps, untold amount of money for magazine subscriptions to get a free prize. You owe me man. You buy the first round in OKC.

Bill1170
06-28-2009, 04:12 PM
This may be the wrong place to ask but who has used tire monitors and what brands are good?

michaeldterry
06-28-2009, 05:20 PM
This may be the wrong place to ask but who has used tire monitors and what brands are good?

Timely question, Bill! I'm looking to add a TPMS for my bus and toad, too because all the recent discussion of tire issues, coupled with the recent Pro golfer's blowout accident has got me spooked and motivated to monitor my tires more closely.

What say the resident experts on this issue? Cost and ease of installation are the primary factors for me - besides the obvious issues of accuracy and dependability.

The system that has caught my interest is the PressurePro (up to) 16 wheel system "for RV with tow". Here is a link to "PressurePro South": PressurePro South Website (http://www.blueskyagmarketing.com/files/Pressurepro/pressureprohome.html). Anyone has experience, opinions, a discount source, and/or advice on this or other TPMS systems?

Jon Wehrenberg
06-28-2009, 05:40 PM
Sounds like a deal Harry. I'll be the designated driver.

Jon Wehrenberg
06-28-2009, 05:42 PM
There have been many discussion on this. I am sure a search will show them.

I do not think there is any concensus on which brand or type is most desirable.

Joe Cannarozzi
06-28-2009, 06:44 PM
I vote for the ones Will Garner has that screw into the valve stem and can be aired up thru them thus not having to remove them every time.

For twice the money you can monitor temps too with the internal type.

We use pressure pro cost us 700 bucks including toad tires and has served us very well. I am on my 6th year and only wore out 1 of the sensor batteries. 5yr estimated battery life. 50 dollar for each replacement sensors.

dreamchasers
06-28-2009, 07:16 PM
I too am a Pressure Pro user. I have used the system on two coaches. I have had mine for five years and I am very satisfied with the system. I also use the Pressure Pro repeater device. I mounted it in the rear closet and it retransmits the sensor signals to assure strong signals.

Concerning removing to air up tires. I rarely have the need to air up or down. Perhaps twice a year, once during the hot summer and once during the winter.

I would recommend the system.

Hector

jack14r
06-28-2009, 07:58 PM
Pressure Pro for 2 years,works great.

michaeldterry
06-28-2009, 08:31 PM
Any recommendations on where to purchase the PressurePro system?

Jerry Winchester
06-28-2009, 09:04 PM
I have a couple. A version similar to this is the analog one I have.

http://www.powertank.com/ecom/images/product/38.560.300x200.TPG-8060,_60_PSI.jpg

The other one is a Snap-On digital gauge. Both are plenty accurate.

Will Garner
06-28-2009, 09:07 PM
OK, this was a thread about tire pressure gauges. I'm joining late as I am in a remote area of Maine with lousy WiFi service.

I bought a Milton gauge with the straight foot, just like Jon's photo. Surprisingly I too found pressure reading discrepancies when reading the tires. Turned out the two PSI scales did not read the same, They were somewhere around 20 pounds difference from one side to the other. I had the gauge checked against the tour bus company's Master Gauge to determine which, if either, side of the gauge was correct. Once identified, I blacked out the wrong side with a permanent black marker.

So, that being said you might want to check yours too. Most reputible tire stores maintain a Master Gauge, so check it out sometime.

Joe, the valve stem caps are still working for me. I think I got them from the local Fleet Pride dealer (trucker parts store).

Tomorrow we turn the coach around and head south, with a stop planned in Baltimore to visit family.

Joe Cannarozzi
06-29-2009, 07:35 AM
Pressure Pro is manufactured by Doran corp. If you google that it should come up.

Will who is the manufacturer on your sensors again?

HarborBus
06-29-2009, 08:52 AM
I bought mine at: http://www.tirepressuremonitor.com/

The prices are pretty much the same but I found Duane had some accessories a little cheaper.

Will Garner
07-03-2009, 02:32 PM
Joe,

I don't know the manufacturer. I can only say I walked in to a "Fleet Pride" truck store here in Garner and asked for them. They work fine. I have some extras if you want I can send some to you.

JIM CHALOUPKA
07-03-2009, 02:38 PM
So Will, did they name the town after you:confused::D

JIM

Will Garner
07-05-2009, 08:56 AM
Jim,

Not to give you a short answer but, no.

See Ya in OKC

JIM CHALOUPKA
07-05-2009, 09:43 AM
Will, I would have settled for the short answer, you didn't have to go into such detail.

JIM