PDA

View Full Version : Zip Dee excitement

jelmore
06-26-2009, 09:41 AM
Well, I thought it was exciting. While in the Chicago area, we stopped by Zip Dee for a tune up. Great, great service. New pull down straps on the window awnings, new motor on the big awning (warranty!!), cleaned up electrical connections, adjusted limit switches, checked batteries and adjusted air pressure, adjusted spring windings in all the awnings, lubricated everything, plant tour (that was cool), an overnight place to park. It was good. Highly recommended if you're in the area.

phorner
06-26-2009, 09:46 AM
Good to hear. We were tempted to do the same, but our travel plans won't take us that far north this summer.

Our experiences with Zip Dee have all been positive.

rahangman
06-26-2009, 10:59 AM
This is great news for me. Need some Tune Up on ours also, although they are all manual. Especially need the straps. Will be up that way soon on way to Ohio, did you need much advance notice?

jelmore
06-26-2009, 11:11 AM
Just a couple of days notice. Talk to Jimmy. They made the straps while we were here. Their production is closed Friday, so schedule earlier in the week.

Ray Davis
06-27-2009, 11:40 AM
Does anyone know where to purchase these window mounted awning locks? I've just sent a note to ZipDee, but being a weekend, they are closed.

The XL2 coaches have a problem with ZipDee awnings, because the only place to mount the little locking latch is way at the back of the window, because forward of that the windows go all the way to the top of the coach, preventing a latch catch from being installed.

As JDUB found out, a strong wind, and your awning is leaving the coach. I've seen on some other coaches a glass mounted latch, which latches over the awning arms. I've done an internet search and have come up empty. The ZipDee site doesn't mention any such product.

Anyone know the source of these locks?

I really want to get a couple installed before heading out to OKC.

Ray

dalej
06-27-2009, 11:52 AM
I really want to get a couple installed before heading out to OKC.

Ray

Why how come Ray? The rally is in October, usually after tornado season. :)

Ray Davis
06-27-2009, 12:22 PM
It doesn't take a tornado to make enough wind out in the southwest to tear off an awning. Ask JDUB how his drivers side awning faired on his trip to Disneyland area over Christmas vacation (also not tornado season, I think :D )

Ray

rahangman
06-27-2009, 01:23 PM
I can attest to the lack of Tornado Season. Driver Side ZipDee "unfurled" unexpectedly coming down off of Raton Pass in May on our way to Colorado. It came out and snapped right back, but oh what a surprise. Stopped and checked out and everything seems ok, I wonder if the snap had worked its way out, but , resnapped and double checked for fit, and resumed. Oh well, I needed the quick leg stretch and a chance for the blood pressure to level.

Joe Cannarozzi
06-27-2009, 01:50 PM
You can easily fashion a locking mechanism that will look and work good.

Jerry Winchester
06-27-2009, 03:33 PM
Ray,

I got mine from Marathon. I think you can get them from Zip Dee, but they are not much help. I told them about the problem and they looked at me like a calf looking at a new gate.

They say it isn't a problem, so it is evident they don't use their own product. I replaced the back latch that broke in the wind and will soon mount the other lock.

Putting locks on it like the other side would work, but they don't seem interested in doing that either. I am contemplating stopping by there after OSH just to be a pain in the ass. They don't do phone calls well.

phorner
06-27-2009, 03:42 PM
JDUB,

If it's convenient, I would stop by Zip Dee and have them take a look at your situation. I've actually found them to be pretty helpful over the phone for the few things I've needed.

Jimmy is definitely the go-to guy there.

Good luck....

Jon Wehrenberg
06-27-2009, 04:02 PM
I can say with confidence that awnings are potentially huge problems and they need to be in perfect shape for travel.

We have had an awning fail in high winds while driving and it is a thrill to see your awning unrolling and slamming into the side of your coach. We had one torn from the coach in a sudden wind burst in Colorado Springs and that time it was ripped from the coach.

We now lock both ends, we have a small center lock to prevent it from opening, and I velcro both arms together as additional insurance. If you have any doubt about your awning's integrity stop at ZipDee. We did and they did a superb job of attaching it properly and making sure it was in perfect condition.

garyde
06-27-2009, 11:31 PM
Hi Ray. Yes, check with Marathon. The type you are looking for were used on the single and dbl. slides for the Zip Dee before they began using the roof mtd. awnings.

Ray Davis
06-27-2009, 11:36 PM
Thanks guys, I'll check with Marathon ...

Kevin Erion
06-28-2009, 01:22 AM
Roof mount Gerards(sp) on the roof working Great, push the button and in or out they go...no locks or added safety systems!
Thanks for asking

Petervs
06-29-2009, 08:05 PM
You know, awnings coming out while driving along on a windy day, well, that is typical Winnebago or Bounder behavior. Prevost owners really should maintain their equipment in condition for safe travel. We have a reputation to uphold.

Why else do you think Prevost owners always stop and help other Prevost owners along the side of the road? Why, because it is so disgraceful to our reputation to have common RV folk think we could ever have any kind of problem. If there are two of us, then it must be a rally!

Loc
06-29-2009, 08:16 PM
Kevin,

You are just showing off now. The push of a button is nice.

Jerry Winchester
06-29-2009, 08:53 PM
Well for you button pushers, here is the best solution.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jwin63

Just call Kevin and have him bring his mongo step ladder over with a bundle of mongo sized zip ties to keep your Zip Dee awning from premature awning deployment.

Ray Davis
07-02-2009, 05:24 PM
So, I received the following lock from Marathon. Turns out to be a standard ZipDee part, it seems.

Anyway, I need to glue this onto my glass, probably as high as I can before the glass starts curving.

What type of glue would you recommend?

Here's a picture of the awning lock.

Ray

Ray Davis
07-02-2009, 05:35 PM
Here's why it's so necessary on an XL2. Not sure if you can see it in the picture, but because the windows go all the way to the roof line, there is no place to attach the normal catch/hook assembly, except way in the back, past the last window. The awning is completely unprotected in the front, and a sharp cross-wind can do real damage.

As you can maybe see here, the catch is back in the last inch or so of the awning. Not the the ultimate solution, for sure

JIM CHALOUPKA
07-02-2009, 06:19 PM
Ray, don't know the exact product name, but at your favorite auto parts store get the glue for rear view mirror mounting to the front windshield.

JIM

phorner
07-02-2009, 06:23 PM
Ray,

That does look like a real challenge. I would ask a local glass shop for advice. I'm guessing some type of epoxy or contact cement.

On the subject of awnings, the stitching on our patio awning has deteriorated due to weather/UV damage over the years. Talked to Zip Dee and they confirmed that this is typical and depends to a certain degree on how much exposure the awnings have had to the elements.

So...... we just returned from a quick trip to Liberty Coach to have the fabric replaced. Troy Moody and staff did a great job of taking care of us.

Now we can relax under the shade of our patio awning without having to worry about it coming apart at the seams with the next breeze :)

Ray Davis
07-02-2009, 06:32 PM
Jim, I would be concerned that rearview mirror glue wouldn't be strong enough. I've knocked off rearview mirrors without much effort, accidentally.

JIM CHALOUPKA
07-02-2009, 07:33 PM
Not sure on the spelling. I would look at the "Sikaflex" brand product line. They have a whole line of special mastic adhesives. Prevost uses one for the XLII panels. I think they might work. They are non hardening and very tenacous.

JIM

Ray Davis
07-02-2009, 08:57 PM
Yeah, sikaflex might work. They put that around the windows as well.

garyde
07-02-2009, 10:59 PM
Hi Ray. I would add to make sure it is Marine type adhesive .

Jon Wehrenberg
07-03-2009, 07:47 AM
Given the cost and problems associated with window replacement on the XLII I would avoid doing anything that would stress the windows.

Has anyone checked with ZipDee to see if the brake used on the large awnings (old style, manual awnings) can be applied to the awning shown? That eliminates risking glass replacement.

jelmore
07-03-2009, 08:28 AM
When we were at Zip Dee, I asked about the latches on our window awnings. Jimmy was winding the springs and said if the springs are wound correctly, the latches aren't necessary. With the springs wound correctly, however, the awnings were difficult to pull down. I had the turns backed out some and prefer to use the latches.

This might be the case of them not doing a lot of field testing.

Jerry Winchester
07-03-2009, 08:30 AM
Jon,

That sounds like the most reasonable solution, but Zip Dee wanted none of it when I called them about the problem. They had no solution other than to tell me, "Sometimes that happens".

I told them that having that @*#&^$% awning wrapped around the top of my coach was not an option and that I would find a solution myself.

Like I said at the beginning of this thread, Zip Dee couldn't have been less help had they been in a coma.

Joe Cannarozzi
07-03-2009, 11:09 AM
Very well designed latch but glue it to the window?

If Zip-Dee will not use those locking latches they have on the patio awning on the smaller window awnings how about limiting the travel of those arms with hardware that inhibits their extension by fashioning something that is incorporated where it is attached at the bottom.

Half a million dollar bus and they expect you to glue that to the window, I can't get over that. No wonder I have never seen them before now.

Ray you need to post those photos in the hanging crap thread.

garyde
07-03-2009, 10:58 PM
Before everyone goes crazy regarding these glass glue on latches, Marathon , Liberty, and others use them on all slide-outs which have the zip-Dee fold open awnings on the slide-outs. Its no big deal.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
07-06-2009, 02:39 PM
I love my Girrard Awnings. :) Sorry I couldn't resist. :o

Gary S.

Jerry Winchester
07-06-2009, 03:55 PM
Spongebob,

Don't worry, your awning problems will be here before you know it. I can see the post now;

Guys, my awning won't;

(a) come out
(b) go in
(c) it comes out by itself
(d) goes in by itself
(e) was supposed to go in when the wind kicked up but the sensor was bad and it's wrapped around the top of the coach
(f) it's halfway out and stuck so I can't move the coach...

GDeen
07-06-2009, 04:15 PM
Obviously not ideal, but why not tie back to the roof? Will require getting on the ladder but probably keep your blood pressure down in cross winds.

Jerry Winchester
07-06-2009, 04:51 PM
Gordon,

That is exactly what we did and have done. Big ass plastic zip tie, slip it thru the slot where the windows meet at the top and wrap it around the awning.

Then everytime you want to use that awning, you have to pull the ladder out and cut the tie loose. While it is better than having the flipping awning wrapped around the top of the coach, it is a major PITA when you want to casually use the awning during a short stop.

GDeen
07-06-2009, 05:04 PM
I hear you Jerry. Probably means less awning use in the long run. Seems like they would have solved it, although I guess with all the Girards on the XLIIs they decided to drop you guys in the grease.

Jerry Winchester
07-06-2009, 08:02 PM
We got dipped alright but I don't think it was in the grease.

http://hiphop.popcrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/diddydog.jpg

After we got dipped in it, P-Diddy stepped in it.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
07-07-2009, 12:32 AM
Spongebob,

Don't worry, your awning problems will be here before you know it. I can see the post now;

JDUB, your just jealous. And besides you didn't offer me any big ass Zip ties for emergency use when we were at the Pianafiddle concert. :p

Gary S.

GDeen
07-07-2009, 11:13 AM
I need some of those P-Diddy's silver specials to wear on the rig....

Jerry Winchester
07-07-2009, 03:41 PM
JDUB, your just jealous. And besides you didn't offer me any big ass Zip ties for emergency use when we were at the Pianafiddle concert.

Well since you have the technically superior awning, you would have to take a sawzall to it so you could use a zip tie. But knowing your mechanical prowess, whacking a hole in the side of your buss shouldn't be a problem for you. I'll pass one your way at the next opportunity.

lonesome george
01-26-2010, 08:13 PM
Last fall I was washing the bus and noticed that the awning lock lever was rolled down in the lock position but I had missed the catch altogether the lock lever was on top of the catch. This could have been a bad deal, some real Zip Dee excitement.

Made this simple bracket to lock the arms to the top slide anchor. In my case the arms look like they touch the body so the bracket was arranged to hold the arms away from the body by about a 1/2", turned out that is a little much but the things work OK and I don't believe the arms can get out with the brackets installed.

pic 1 longer bolt installed in the top slide anchor.
pic 2 brackets
pic 3 brackets installed with threaded knob.

Put a set on the front and rear arms.

Darrell and Linda
01-27-2010, 12:04 AM
Awesome, I like it. Saves on the hassle with zip ties. Where did you get the threaded knob and did you fabricate the brackets yourself?

Jon Wehrenberg
01-27-2010, 07:24 AM
I was proud of my velcro awning retainers until I saw George's handiwork.

pwf252
01-27-2010, 08:14 AM
George,
Any desire or thought to offering your brackets for sale to others in need? I would certainly be willing to pay handsomely for some. I would think it would be possible to sell them through ads in select RV Magazines. Possibly even sell the design to Zip-Dee themselves.

grantracy
01-27-2010, 08:17 AM
I would gladly pay also...been using the velcro approach which I don't think is really going to make a difference if it starts to unfurl.

Jon Wehrenberg
01-27-2010, 08:23 AM
Because I have had an awning unfurl due to a failure of the lock I now have two locks, the little hook and eye center latch and two velcro straps on the arms.

I have not had a problem with that system of securing the awning...so far.

But George's design looks a whole lot better than faded velcro.

phorner
01-27-2010, 08:25 AM
Nice job, George. Looks great!

rickdesilva
01-27-2010, 09:11 AM
OK Lonesome man, now that you've opened up the door and we know you have the capability to make 'em, lets come up with a price and take orders.

michaeldterry
01-27-2010, 09:19 AM
Made this simple bracket to lock the arms to the top slide anchor. In my case the arms look like they touch the body so the bracket was arranged to hold the arms away from the body by about a 1/2", turned out that is a little much but the things work OK and I don't believe the arms can get out with the brackets installed.

Put a set on the front and rear arms.

How do I place an order for a set of these? ;)

JIM CHALOUPKA
01-27-2010, 10:00 AM
I have a suspicion they are in BETA Testing;)

michaeldterry
01-27-2010, 12:22 PM
I have a suspicion they are in BETA Testing;)

Well, I "beta" get a set! :D

GDeen
01-27-2010, 12:48 PM
first time I tried to open the big patio awning on our maiden voyage at Buckhorn, I forgot to remove the velcro strap on the forward brace. Did a thorough job of birdnesting the awning front to rear. :eek::mad:

lonesome george
01-27-2010, 12:58 PM
The brackets were made by a fab shop we use, sent them a cad file of the design and they cut the parts with a laser and formed them from 304 stainless steel. Made the knobs here, did'nt want to wait for shippment from a fastener house.

Easy enough to make more for whomever wants them. First things first, I need to trial fit some on other rigs, the location of the bolt that goes thru the arm and the anchor on the slide may not be consistant. The one on my front arm fits better than the one on the rear, so this must be investigated.
The thing may need a redesign to be one size fits all, a set is out for trial on a different coach we'll see how that goes.

It should be noted this lock has NOT been tested and I don't plan on getting a UL rating on it. However the brackets did pass the "give it a tug test".

We'll figure out a cost for a set of brackets after we get the design sorted out.

rickdesilva
01-27-2010, 03:07 PM
Lonesome man..........they better be right, we don't need disclaimers. Remember I have pull with Subaru;)

lonesome george
01-27-2010, 05:31 PM
Would some of you guys take pictures of your awning arms at the top of the slide anchor and email them to me, please. I'm havin' an idea here, a one size fits all bracket that is one piece and I need to get a feel for the location of the bolt that is in the arm (the one the prototype bracket goes around). My email address conveyors@tds.net
Thanks in advance.

Alek&Lucia
01-27-2010, 06:57 PM
It should be noted this lock has NOT been tested and I don't plan on getting a UL rating on it. However the brackets did pass the "give it a tug test".

George,

If you get POG rating it will be better then UL :D

Alek

lonesome george
02-04-2010, 06:44 PM
Here is the latest version of the Zip Dee awning arm lock bracket.
One piece construction and more clearance for the bolt in the awning arm.
pic 1 new bracket.
pic 2 new bracket on my coach
pic 3 & 4 first bracket design on Jim C's coach. (seperate post)
The bolt thru the awning arm on Jim's bus is in a different place than it is on mine and if that is the case for most of the awnings the bracket can be symmetric with no slot for the bolt (better looking piece), front and rear will be the same part, cheaper to make and no thinking required by the awning operator, at least as far as the lock goes.
Jim's is the only arm picture I have of a different coach, I would really like to see some other awning arms especially a XLII, so far it looks like two designs, one for my type and one for Jim's type.

lonesome george
02-04-2010, 06:50 PM
Here is the two piece bracket on Jim C's bus.

Jon Wehrenberg
02-04-2010, 07:20 PM
Almost all XLII coaches are going to have the power awnings and they use a different arm configuration. I think the Zip Dee model you are designing for will be on XL and H3 coaches up to a certain age, probably somewhere around 98 or 99.

If you need a fab shop to make the sheet metal Wendi might be able to do them out of stainless at www.jamestownadvanced.com.

Ray Davis
02-04-2010, 08:24 PM
Unfortunately my XL2 has manual ZipDee, but these locks will not work cause it's all glass where you're mounting into the coach.

I did purchase two locks from Marathon, which are expected to be glued to the window. I have yet to mount these, as I'm not sure which kind of glue to use. I really need to do that soon, before I have a runaway awning as JDUB did once in the West Texas area.

garyde
02-04-2010, 11:15 PM
Unfortunately my XL2 has manual ZipDee, but these locks will not work cause it's all glass where you're mounting into the coach.

I did purchase two locks from Marathon, which are expected to be glued to the window. I have yet to mount these, as I'm not sure which kind of glue to use. I really need to do that soon, before I have a runaway awning as JDUB did once in the West Texas area.

Hi Ray. Haveyou spoken with Marathon down in Beaumont. They should have a recomendation. Or ask Scott over at Prevost in Mira Loma.

gmcbuffalo
02-05-2010, 12:08 AM
Thise clips look like they are attached to the bolt that fastens the top portion of the bar that the awning slides up on, to the bus. How do you remove them without the slider bar coming off?

Ray does your bus have this bar that you use to raise the awning up?

GregM

Ray Davis
02-05-2010, 01:45 PM
Greg,

Yes, there is that bar on the curbside awning. I will admit, I purchased my locks more for the driver side awning.

On an XL, generally the lock for the awning is put somewhere near the front to middle of the awning, bolted between windows.

On an XL2, the windows go all the way to the roof line, so there is no place to put the catch until you get to the very back of the awning, beyond the windows. Unfortunately, there is nothing securing the front of the drivers side awning, other than the catch 15 feel towards the rear.

A good wind will open the awning in some cases.

Ray

ps: Gary, yeah, I'll give Roger a call at Marathon and see what they suggest.

Alek&Lucia
02-05-2010, 02:08 PM
Ray,

I would check with ZeeDee first:

http://www.zipdeeinc.com/

1-800-338-2378

Alek

LarryB
02-05-2010, 02:27 PM
Ray, I would check with Zip DEE. At a Rally a few years ago I spoke with a company rep for Zip DEE about placement of the travel locks. He said then, that it should be place near the rear of the awning as that is the "Low Pressure" area on the awning tube while driving down the road. It would seem to me that would vary from coach to coach do to body design but, that was his advice.

Ray Davis
02-05-2010, 04:51 PM
That seems counter intuitive, as it's the front of the awning which will pull out from the coach, and tear the latch right out of the metal.

lonesome george
02-05-2010, 05:43 PM
orginal posted by gmcbuffalo
Thise clips look like they are attached to the bolt that fastens the top portion of the bar that the awning slides up on, to the bus. How do you remove them without the slider bar coming off?

Greg, take a look at post 41 of this thread, the first thing I did was replace the top bolt with a longer one and add a jam nut, then the clip, then the knob.

gmcbuffalo
02-05-2010, 11:53 PM
George I see that, thanks
GregM

LarryB
02-06-2010, 12:18 AM
I agree Ray, but that is what the Rep said, twice as a matter of fact after I said "HUH?"

Ray Davis
02-06-2010, 02:52 PM
I will certainly believe the back end is the low-wind side. But personally, I want the high-wind side (the front) to stay put! I'm not worried about the latch, I'm worried about the awning heading down the pavement!!! They seem worried about the catch.

lonesome george
08-22-2010, 04:05 PM
Here's the skinny on the latest Zip Dee awning arm lock design.
Some of you had shown interest in these things awhile back and I apologize for taking so long to get this posted.
The first and second pictures are the latest design on Jim Chaloupka's bus (dark gray paint). I think this design will fit most XL's with manual Zip Dee awnings. Type 1.
Third picture is the design that fits my bus (blue paint). Type 2.
Fourth is a look at the two types of locks.
If any of you's guy's want to try the locks I have one set that fit my bus (type 2) and nine set's that fit Jim's bus (type 1) in hand now.
Here is how the cost worked out based on 20 parts. Cut and form clip about $17 each, vibratory burring about $2 each, bolt, nut and some UHMW plastic strips I add in an attempt to keep the stainless steel clip from gouging up the aluminum arms about $1, so $20 each and you will need two.
I have AutoCAD files of both designs if any of you want them.

LarryB
08-22-2010, 07:56 PM
George, I would like a set but unsure as to the one required, type 1 or 2. Could you explain or show more of the arms that determine the difference ?

lonesome george
08-22-2010, 10:41 PM
Larry the difference is the type 1 just goes around the awning arm and fastens to the top slide anchor, type 2 has a slot for a bolt that passes thru the awning arm near the top slide anchor.
Here is a picture with some orange tape on the bolt head that the type 2 lock must clear.
Second picture is with the lock removed and a white rod pointing to that bolt.
Third and fourth picture are Jim's (type 1) and the bolt is below the lock about 3" no need for the slot,
it is not very easy to see the difference in these pictures.
Hope this helps.

gmcbuffalo
08-23-2010, 12:53 AM
George is the clip eon Jim's Coach holding the arm with the sliding rod like on your Coach?
GregM

lonesome george
08-23-2010, 09:27 AM
Yes Greg both are held in place by the thru bolt in the top slide anchor mount. We replaced the orignal thru bolt with a longer one, add a jam nut and use the additional thread length to attach the clip.
Here is a shot of the anchor with the longer bolt installed.

GSwaim
09-07-2010, 04:29 PM
While we are in the Zip Dee awning gear, anyone replaced a front arm on a automatic Zip Dee. Mine has lost it's power cable continuity inside the arm so the awning won't move unless I run a jumper from wires coming out the side of the bus to the motor connection. Zip Dee wants $300 for a replacement arm or take mine in and rebuild for $170. The arm on there isn't that old and I'm wondering if anyonw has dissassembled the power awning arms and replaced the power harness. I haven't taken one of these off, looks quite simple but how does a person hold the awning in place while the arm is off. Any tips on how to get this fixed before going to the POG rally in Kerrville is much appreciated. I like using my awning but jumpering the power cable is a pain just to have a patio awning.

Gary

Jon Wehrenberg
09-07-2010, 05:24 PM
Gary, I may be wrong but my guiding principle has been if someone else can do it, I should be able. I may not be as fast, or as good, but given enough time I have been able to figure out most stuff and then do the repair or modification.

What you need to do is figure out how your awning works (our manual types are under spring tension so we need to exercise a little caution) and then set out to disassemble it down to the level you need to make the repair. If they can do it for what they quoted my guess is the job may be a 1 or 2 hour job, so it can't be that tough.

If you can access a parts list and exploded view drawing that puts you way ahead of the game. If not talk to some service shops or converters. Someone has tackled the job.

rahangman
09-07-2010, 05:44 PM
Can't talk about your powered awning, but I recently had my manual awning (19') apart to add new support "eye hook" and Zip Dee techs said use a step ladder to support the long arm while doing this job. My stepladder wasn't going to do the job, so I just took 2 ea 2x6's figured about 6' off ground and notched out the end. Other end at angle on the ground with a person to steady while I did the rewinding. Wife did a good job, my part worked well. So, hope you can do the dirty without any problem. Quite simple just be careful . Their techs will talk you through it.

While we are in the Zip Dee awning gear, anyone replaced a front arm on a automatic Zip Dee. Mine has lost it's power cable continuity inside the arm so the awning won't move unless I run a jumper from wires coming out the side of the bus to the motor connection. Zip Dee wants $300 for a replacement arm or take mine in and rebuild for $170. The arm on there isn't that old and I'm wondering if anyonw has dissassembled the power awning arms and replaced the power harness. I haven't taken one of these off, looks quite simple but how does a person hold the awning in place while the arm is off. Any tips on how to get this fixed before going to the POG rally in Kerrville is much appreciated. I like using my awning but jumpering the power cable is a pain just to have a patio awning.

Gary

LarryB
09-07-2010, 10:57 PM
George, will you have a few awning arm lock with you at POG 9?

garyde
09-07-2010, 11:11 PM
Hi Gary. I have an extra front arm with the wiring and the air hoses. I had to replace everything two years ago when I lost my awning in Nevada. The awning is spring wound 14 rotations I believe so its under a lot of tension.

GSwaim
09-08-2010, 07:54 AM
Gary,

Do you think the front arm can be changed in the field or is it best to leave it to an experienced zip dee technician? I'm told the auto awning are under tension as well and wonder if it would be a can of works out at the POG to do this.

garyde
09-08-2010, 10:33 PM
I remember the guys putting it together, they had the arm off and used a small arm to turn the spring 14 revolutions and then slipped on the front arm. But there is a point where you have to hold the
end of the canopy and keep the spring from spinning to change arms.
Its a two man job on ladders, and one guy on the ground. You just have to go slow.