PDA

View Full Version : Skyline Drive Virginia?

sawdust_128
06-24-2009, 12:22 PM
What can ou clue me into on this route? Is it passible with a coach, tunnels? too tight on the turns? AM I better off touring this in the toad and camping at spots along it's route? Any info greatly appreciated.

MangoMike
06-24-2009, 03:27 PM
SW,

I've been along part of this route staying at Big Meadows Park (State Park) along Skyline Drive.

http://www.virginiawind.com/virginia_travel/big_meadows.asp

Nice campground, a little tight, but if you have any skills, no problem.

Have not been along the entire course of Skyline Dr. so I can't comment on the conditions down the road.

Mike

sawdust_128
06-24-2009, 04:19 PM
Thanks Mike. There is a single tunnel with a 12'8" clearance, located just south of the 211 and north of Skyline. Did you navigate that portion?

MangoMike
06-24-2009, 04:41 PM
SD,

This is the route I took from Alexandria, Va. No problems.

Mike

Ray Davis
06-24-2009, 06:28 PM
There is a single tunnel with a 12'8" clearance

Have you measured your coach? I'm sitting right at about 13' with dome and other antennas. I would be very skeptical of driving through a 12'8 tunnel?

rfoster
06-24-2009, 06:37 PM
Ray: You need to re phrase that: You would be very stuck in a 12'8" tunnel. and so would Sawdust--- instead of sawdust there would be a lot of crap. Ed has an "H" - that stands for higher.

Ray Davis
06-24-2009, 07:13 PM
Good point! I didn't think about the fact he had the H coach! :eek:

sawdust_128
06-24-2009, 09:42 PM
That bus will go along Skyline Drive like 50lbs of crap will fit into a 25-lbs sack. Ain't gonna happen.

Time for Plan B.

MangoMike
06-24-2009, 11:15 PM
SD,

Just to clarify our jaunt to Big Meadows from Alexandria, did not include a trip thru a tunnel.

Mike

sawdust_128
06-25-2009, 12:20 AM
Thanks Mike. I spoke with a person at the information desk at the visitor's center at the intersection of the 33. They told me there was a 12'8" tunnel just south of the 211 (where you got on and went south).

I'll put more stock in your experience over her memory. So I guess that would put the tunnel north of the 211. Mabey it's time for google earth.

I think I'll just stay off of it completely as I am traversing the entire Drive, site seeing in the valley, and jumping off to Gettysburg(?) at the north end.

So, let's get down to the important stuff like has anyone found any memorable eaterias in those areas? No trip under the flag of the POG DECAL is up to snuff without a few good over-stuffings.

Ray Davis
06-25-2009, 02:14 PM
I don't know if this is in the area, but a warning. You may want to stay away from Walnut Hills RV Park in Staunton VA.

Although the park is really nice, as well as the management, they are dead wrong about this being safe for our coaches. If I had seen where they wanted me to drive before I checked in and actually drove to my slot, I would have turned around and gone elsewhere. I am really lucky I didn't qualify myself for the busted coach award.

It's a nice place, but do not bring a 45 foot bus there.

Ray

PS: actually they did seem to have an overflow area out front which would have been just fine. But do not drive to the backside of their lake.

sawdust_128
06-25-2009, 04:04 PM
Ray: Thanks for the heads up on that one. We were actually looking at the Saunton area. We've called several camp grounds up there (up and down the drive). The most notable discourse went like:

When questioned "Can you accomodate a 45-foot motorcoach?"

The camp attendant, without hesitation replied "Ain't no such thing." :eek:

God's honest truth.

Ray Davis
06-25-2009, 06:19 PM
When questioned "Can you accomodate a 45-foot motorcoach?"

The camp attendant, without hesitation replied "Ain't no such thing.:eek:"

Well, then obviously there's no problem then, I guess! :D

Pete
06-25-2009, 07:01 PM
And all this time I thought I had a 45 ft. motor coach.

CAPT MOGUL & Sandy
06-26-2009, 01:18 AM
I don't know if this is in the area, but a warning. You may want to stay away from Walnut Hills RV Park in Staunton VA.

Although the park is really nice, as well as the management, they are dead wrong about this being safe for our coaches. If I had seen where they wanted me to drive before I checked in and actually drove to my slot, I would have turned around and gone elsewhere. I am really lucky I didn't qualify myself for the busted coach award.

It's a nice place, but do not bring a 45 foot bus there.

Ray

PS: actually they did seem to have an overflow area out front which would have been just fine. But do not drive to the backside of their lake.

Ray, Ed and I stayed there last year sometime and we would not have stayed either if we had known you have to drive up the hills on dirt and pull in to sites that you have pine trees hanging all over you.:eek: Should have stayed at the front lot at the beginning where there was cement and "right-minded" people.:rolleyes:

Sandy

phorner
06-26-2009, 08:58 AM
We stayed at Walnut Hills RV Park, in Staunton VA, in 2006 but at that time we had a 42' Beaver. As you say, nice park but very tight back by the lake.

As I recall, they only had a hand full of sites that would have accommodated even that coach.

Ray Davis
06-27-2009, 11:06 AM
Unfortunately, that dirt road also had tight turns with 18 inch high bolders lining the edge of the road. It is amazing I didn't tear up any of my side panels.

Definitely the front area would have been a much better choice.

Bad thing, when I spoke to the person in the office, they didn't quite understand that there would be a problem for larger rigs. Makes for bad info when calling to ask if you would be fit, because their answer is always "yes".

Ray