PDA

View Full Version : Storage Pics

GDeen
06-21-2009, 10:40 PM
Storage unit came out very nice. 1550 sf with plenty of room to work on the bus. Have been adding work table, tools, etc. since I took the pics. Spent most of the day in there yesterday working on a couple of small items and continuing to learn systems.

Joe Cannarozzi
06-21-2009, 11:40 PM
50 amp service that's good.

Now you can accumulate lots more crap:eek:

tool box, compressor, bench, welder etc. etc. table saw radial arm saw lots of room.

First you get the bus then you talk her into tool-time, that's how it goes. You are following a well traveled path.

tdelorme
06-22-2009, 06:26 AM
Very nice, Gordon. Is there any way to circulate air through your part of the building? It was 95 degrees up here Saturday so I know you guys must have been hot as well. How the heck did you spend most of the day in there with no AC ?
Be on the lookout for an orphan 50amp cord (or make one) that you can keep in your storage building. It's nice to pull in, jump out and hook up without getting the bus's power cord out. Also makes leaving a snap.

JIM CHALOUPKA
06-22-2009, 06:49 AM
Looks real nice Gordon, now the real fun begins!

JIM

Jon Wehrenberg
06-22-2009, 08:14 AM
I don't know if this needs to be a consideration in TX, but on occasion in the spring the bus and the interior of the building are cold soaked. (Cold being a relative term). The outdoor temperatures will rise faster than the inside temperatures such as on a warm humid day which follows a cold period.

When that happens the bus, especially heavy items such as the wheels and the engine block, and sometimes the skin at the frame trusses has condensation all over it. Moving air or venting the storage building cures this problem. Dampness is the enemy.

GDeen
06-22-2009, 10:22 AM
Ted and Jon,

I have placed a large shop fan on the floor in the rear portion of the unit. Obviously, that truly only helps when the door is open since there is no ventilation in the building. I have already spoken with the landlord's broker about installing some vents. He is finishing out the other 3 doors similarly with the goal of attracting more high end storage. Apparently a helicopter is coming into one of the units. Ventilation would certainly help attract tenants.

Good idea on the cord Ted. Would be nice just to keep one laying off to the side for bus barn only. It was plenty warm in there so I was doing some sweating. :cool: Not too bad though. Even with the SMX settings at 85, I am burning some electricity keeping the coach from getting hot. Its all good though.

My gearhead son was in there poking around while I was working. Should have known what he was up to - he and his brothers gave me a nice lighted work table and rolling tool cart for Father's Day.:)

Thanks Jim and Joe. Already repaired a leaking steer stemco and preparing to install smartire system. Needed lots of tools to do all this! MM's cool bus tools page has set me back a few bucks also.

Ray Davis
06-22-2009, 10:59 AM
Looking good Gordon! Makes me want to move where my storage options are more plentiful!

garyde
06-22-2009, 10:55 PM
Hi Gordon. Maybe the owner might consider some roof gravity fans to pull some heat out along with some low louvers on the doors. If you have access to a telephone line, you might consider a monitered Smoke/Heat and Security Alarm system.

JIM CHALOUPKA
06-23-2009, 05:10 AM
Gordon, here's the tool you need if your doing all that wheel and tire work.

http://www.toolbarn.com/product/makita/TW1000/

JIM

Jon Wehrenberg
06-23-2009, 08:16 AM
I just love how Jim spends other people's money.

Gordon, if you are a gearhead and want to work on the bus yourself being a ble to remove and remount your wheels is one of the things you will have to do. In the absence of a good air supply and at least 1/2 inch air hose for a 1" air impact wrench you will need an alternative. But.....if your wheels are installed by the typical tire shop employee the 738 foot pounds of torque will not get the job done. Some of the shops that mount wheels drive the lug nuts on with excessive force.

For the price you may actually be able to buy a 1" air impact wrench and an air compressor with a 60 or 80 gallon tank. For the same price you could buy an X-12. http://times12.com/wrench.htm

GDeen
06-23-2009, 10:33 AM
Thanks fellas - I am going to work my way into the self service bus maintenance program. For the time being, I am liking the modifications and normal repair stuff. Changing tires may be a whole different matter!:)

We do have a decent air compressor and some impact wrenches. My gearhead son is always rebuilding rock climbing and mud trucks and likes tools. Problem will come with keeping him out of my bus tools.

I am telling you, there is little end in sight to the "stuff" one potentially "needs" for this bus business. I love it!

GDeen
06-23-2009, 10:36 AM
Hi Gordon. Maybe the owner might consider some roof gravity fans to pull some heat out along with some low louvers on the doors. If you have access to a telephone line, you might consider a monitered Smoke/Heat and Security Alarm system.

Good stuff Gary, thanks. Hope to meet the owner out there this weekend to discuss a couple of mods and will throw this in. We definitely need to beef up the security aspects of the place.

Jon Wehrenberg
06-23-2009, 12:13 PM
Gordon, you are so busy thinking bus you are missing the big picture.

There is enough room in the shed for the rock climbing truck. There's also room for all your son's tools. Build the tool rack right next to the bus.

Then you not only have the tools you need close at hand, you have a gearhead son to work on the bus under your supervision.

Wheels will come off for a wide variety of reasons. Changing, brake pads, axle seals, air bags, to polish them, and so you can get at and polish the slack adjusters.

JIM CHALOUPKA
06-23-2009, 01:04 PM
Gordon, when you mentioned mechanics terms like Stemco, sweat and Gear Head, I knew you were really into it. I had to tell you about the impact wrench because after you use the x12 you will have no trouble with over tight lug nuts and that wrench spins them off very nicely. You can carry it in the bus too.

JIM

GDeen
06-23-2009, 03:34 PM
Jon I would never win that battle. He is constantly buying, trading, and selling stuff. Right now he has two jet skis he is re-building to trade for some type of trailer. He has trucks stashed at 3 of his friends places. If I gave him the green light on the bus barn, I would be buried in a week!:eek:

This is the same kid who when hired to clear weeds from a very long fenceline as an 11 year old, installed a performance kit designed for a motorized scooter on my gas powered Echo weed whacker. Have to keep a close eye on him. He will be great help with the bus though.