PDA

View Full Version : Replacing three belts, Question

HarborBus
06-21-2009, 09:55 AM
Little help please. I'm going to replace the three belts that run the AC compressor and the fan pump. A friend of mine told me Gates makes a one piece belt that has the 3 "V's" on it. Is this true, and if so does anyone know the part number, where to buy, etc.

Thanks All

JIM CHALOUPKA
06-21-2009, 10:24 AM
Elliott, the number I have as posted by Jim Keller is:

3/A74 Power Band, #90923074.

JIM

Pete
06-21-2009, 12:09 PM
Jim, before changing belts, please check my post of 4/21/09. My post got walked on and I don't think it was seen. Search for FAN CLUTCH. This is very important! I don't want the same thing to happen to you.

Kenneth Brewer
06-21-2009, 05:34 PM
Jim, before changing belts, please check my post of 4/21/09. My post got walked on and I don't think it was seen. Search for FAN CLUTCH. This is very important! I don't want the same thing to happen to you.

Can't find it, please repeat that post.

Pete
06-21-2009, 06:38 PM
Ken, if the belts are too long they will allow the fan assembly to strike the radiator, and the results are not pretty. The fins from the clutch assembly (the round aluminum part) came off and went into the radiator in about 4 or 5 places. I tried to copy the earlier post I made on this subject, but was not successful. You can go to the search function and enter fan clutch, then scroll down to the post. Sorry I can't be more specific on the procedure.

adamdegraff
06-21-2009, 08:43 PM
I asked somebody at Marathon about this. He said that the 3 separate belts were better. His reasoning: if a rock or some debris gets in, it can escape. My reason: The three belts probably break easier than one, big massive belt. When my AC compressor locked up, the three belts all snapped. I viewed this as a good thing. They were a piece of cake to change, and the engine, main pulleys, etc were all fine. I don't see any reason to switch to one big belt, though at the beginning I thought maybe I should. Glad I didn't.

~Adam

JIM CHALOUPKA
06-21-2009, 08:43 PM
Ken, this is it.

http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/showthread.php?t=3421

JIM

Joe Cannarozzi
06-21-2009, 11:50 PM
Adam your tour is finished right? Where is the bus now?