PDA

View Full Version : Early XL

Joe Cannarozzi
06-17-2009, 12:02 AM
Jim you were wondering what they looked like here is one.

hillndale
06-18-2009, 08:12 AM
About what year is that? Gotta say it looks pretty cool for a vintage bus. Was anyone doing conversions back then?

Joe Cannarozzi
06-18-2009, 08:53 AM
Good question I think the current XL configuration started in 84.

dale farley
06-18-2009, 09:38 AM
There were some individuals who were trying to convert buses at that time. In 1972, Paulette and I sang with a gospel group. We bought a 1947 Greyhound and started converting it.

After a few trips with the bus in early stages of development, we realized the magnitude of our undertaking. Sold the bus and bought a new Champion motorhome. It looked a little better but probably didn't last any longer.

Joe Cannarozzi
06-18-2009, 09:51 AM
Dale was that a senic-cruiser or a silversides.Was it air suspension back then.

poor photo anyone got a better one?

dale farley
06-18-2009, 11:18 AM
Joe, It was a silversides. I'm not sure about the suspension. I think it had a 4-71 or 6-71 engine. It was pretty much like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ab0hWYBRb6M It looked more like the 1948 Silverside in these pictures:http://www.greyhoundbusmuseum.org/buses.html#48silverside

I am glad we didn't own it very long, because we would have been in big trouble when we had the first significant mechanical failure. The motor had been rebuilt just before we bought it; and we didn't have any problems with it, but we sold it to a guy who took it in the mountains, lugged it down, and blew the engine on his first trip.

Joe Cannarozzi
06-18-2009, 12:22 PM
The Brill is very cool so is the battle of britan and the silversides...

If I had time and money I would have one, the XL would be kicked to the curb:o

dale farley
06-18-2009, 12:29 PM
The bus looked old in my last post, but for some reason Paulette and I look younger. "NICE HAIRDOS"! I am the good looking one on the far left, and it is easy to tell, I haven't changed much in the last 36 years. This was our 2nd album in 1973. Note the new 1973 24' Champion motor home on the flip side.

Ray Davis
06-18-2009, 12:50 PM
OK, I guess I'm missing something. Is the name of the group "The Master's Trio", yet I see four people in every picture? :confused:

dale farley
06-18-2009, 01:31 PM
Ray, That's the first time I've had that question in many years. Since I couldn't sing, I was bass player, manager and emcee for the group. There were only three singers.

Ray Davis
06-18-2009, 04:38 PM
Seems to me that bass player, manager and emcee should deserve recognition too!! OK, I guess "The Masters Quartet" doesn't have the same ring to it. Maybe "The Masters Four"?

dale farley
06-18-2009, 05:21 PM
I had all the recognition I needed, and I almost always had the final word. Even if that word was "Yes maam".

dalej
06-18-2009, 09:09 PM
One of the best things about this group is that we all have a "Rest of the Story" (Paul Harvey)

Always enjoy learning more about the people that make up POG.

dale farley
06-18-2009, 09:54 PM
Dalej, The rest of the story is that we made the last record in 1973, because our son was born in 1974. His arrival brought a screechig halt to our traveling every weekend. We both had full time jobs also.

He is now our Pastor and is still not crazy about us being on the road too much. He's never actually says anything about us being gone, but I know he had rather we are here working in the church.

CAPT MOGUL & Sandy
06-19-2009, 11:42 AM
Dale, OK, now you are in trouble! Ed is going to "get your goose" when he reads the thread about you and Paulette. Here he had to go to Professional Music Kamp in TN this week to learn how to play his bass and you could have taught him at all our mini's and big rallies. You could have saved us a few bucks! We know how good Paulette is singing because she always would sing with the POG Band. Just wait..... the boys(Ed and Dan) are going to see this post today when they come home from class. LURKER!!!!:p
Sandy:)

dale farley
06-19-2009, 04:20 PM
Sandy,

I quit playing the bass several years ago for a couple reasons. A couple of my fingers don't bend any more, and it is difficult to maneuver the frets with stiff fingers. Secondly, the styles of bass playing have changed significantly from years ago, so I wouldn't fit in too well with today's music. Most churches have moved from traditional to contemporary music. Paulette has had no problem making that switch with her singing, but I fell off the band wagon with the advent of contemporary music. Paulette is a much better singer than I was a bass player.

Ed is much better off getting the help he has received. I would just confuse him. Once he has the basics, he will develop his own style and continually improve over time. He seemed to be doing fine the last time I heard him.

rodburtonmusic
06-23-2009, 12:16 AM
Hey Dale...where were you guys from? As the Masters Trio, that is?

dale farley
06-23-2009, 08:59 AM
Rod,

We were from Pensacola, FL. Many weekends we were singing in FL, GA, MS, AL and as far North as Tennessee. We cut both albums in Nashville.

Jon Wehrenberg
06-23-2009, 09:24 AM
So in reality we have folks driving "entertainer's coaches" right?

I had the pleasure of joining Debbie and Jay and Sandy and Ed at an accoustics concert last night. The talent level was outstanding, and those four have assured me that when they join up with professionals like Dale and Paulette, and then Dan S. joins in we are in for a rocking good time in OKC.

I'm hoping for some fifties music from them, like Santo and Johnnies "Sleepwalk", or something by Duane Eddy.

rfoster
06-23-2009, 09:52 AM
What? What happened to Lawrence Welk?

I heard thru the grapevine he took his OTR compressor and turned it into a bubble machine.

Jon Wehrenberg
06-23-2009, 12:09 PM
Lawrence Welk did fifties music, right? I have the ultimate bubble machine.

Run the generator exhaust hose into Truk's gray water tank and turn it on. We'll get bubbles through the roof vent. Ah one and ah two......

rfoster
06-23-2009, 09:26 PM
that is funny!

truk4u
06-23-2009, 10:04 PM
Ah, excuse me supreme anal one, but I only have one tank and any attempt to make bubbles out my vent may get a little rank!:eek: Of course no one would notice if I'm parked next to the two turd boys, stink comes natural for them.:rolleyes:

Jon Wehrenberg
06-24-2009, 07:13 AM
I did not have any concerns about the smell, color or quality of the bubbles. My only concern was making them, something I believe we can easily do. I will make sure my coach is upwind from yours.

MangoMike
06-24-2009, 10:07 AM
Of course no one would notice if I'm parked next to the two turd boys, stink comes natural for them.:rolleyes:

Trukman, your comments just make the upcoming airstrikes at OSH all the more justified. The ACME bay is packed and ready to go.

mm