PDA

View Full Version : FMCA National Rally in Bowling Green, Ohio

rahangman
06-12-2009, 12:51 AM
As newbies to this whole experience, my wife and I are going to take in the FMCA National Rally this July in Bowling Green, Ohio. Partly to take in something of this magnitude, partly to take advantage of the various vendors who may be able to help us out with our various endeavors with the coach. With that said, I am reaching out for some suggestions, such as, should we sign up for their elec hook up (30 amp only)(?). Any other suggestions would be taken into consideration. As an addendum, B.G. happens to be my home town. No one in my family or circle of friends there have any sort of facility that I would consider to be prudent to use. The weather in July there could be very hot, or, something else, who knows. We will most likely stay with the bus, but of course we would have the option of staying with family. Just sort of trying to feel our way through this one. We surely intend to be at OKC regardless of our experience in Ohio. :D

Jon Wehrenberg
06-12-2009, 07:39 AM
Except for the fuel you will use there is no downside to running your generator all the hours your parking space will allow. This is a good opportunity to blow the cobwebs out of it. Load it up and make it work.

This is also an opportunity to learn how to conserve water. When we run from campground to campground that is not an issue, but like energy management when we are plugged into shore power we have to conserve water (and holding tank space) when not hooked up.

By working your systems while you are at a place where just about all the suppliers are displaying their wares you may come up with good questions to ask of them as you continue to learn the coach.

phorner
06-12-2009, 08:34 AM
When we attend an FMCA rally, I always book a spot in the "full generator" area. That way I can run the generator as much as I want.

I prefer to run the generator rather than be confined to 30 amp power.

Have fun and get to know the "dry camping" capabilities of your bus. You'll find that with just a little planning, you can live quite comfortably for several days without services.

hhoppe
06-12-2009, 03:49 PM
We have attended one of their rallies in Oregon and enjoyed it. From other peoples experiance in parts of the country where summer rains are a factor your main concern with your bus is what type of ground you will be parked on. It's no fun to watch your bus drug through the mud by a tractor to get you out on solid ground at the end of the rally. We chose to get furnished power and wound up with a hughe diesel generator runny just outside our bedroom window. Jons remarks are probably your best choice ( I hate it when he's always right ). Make a list of the vendors you would like to have visit your coach for repairs or updates and see them first and set up a first come first serve basis appointments. Most are free visits and range from Awnings, exhaust fans, towing equipment and other services available. It will be interesting to hear a fresh reort on how the industry is surviving the sudden down turn, please let us know. You will enjoy the entertainment offered.

garyde
06-13-2009, 01:17 AM
Hi Ra,
Everytime I have attended FMCA Rallys I have paid for the 30 amp hook up. Its quiet and there is no smell of diesel. Its not that bad. If you need to run your A/C you can run one or two depending on other loads you turn off.
In the morning and in the evening, no generators running. during the day, your away from the Coach most of the time.
FMCA has many Seminars and Events , Tours , etc. , so its important to get the schedule early and develop a plan for what is high on your list. There is too many thingsgoing on so its important to give yourself leisure time as well.
Also, bring a bike or scooter because there is a lot of walking.