PDA

View Full Version : URGENT-Satellite system question

HarborBus
06-11-2009, 06:23 PM
I'm new, but here I am asking a question already. I'm currently at Marathon Texas. I have a KVH model L3 in motion satellite system that was installed new in 11/05. Unfortunately it has been damaged (I'm not pointing fingers but it was working when I got here to pick up the bus and now it doesn't). I would like to know what everyone is using. IE: tilt up like a Moto-sat, stationary dome, or in motion dome. They are going to replace it tomorrow so I need info PDQ. Thanks all.

phorner
06-11-2009, 06:32 PM
We have a KVH in-motion dome, model R6 I believe. We're very happy with it and use it for Directv with a DVR receiver.

Good luck!

jelmore
06-11-2009, 08:07 PM
And we use an R5 in-motion from a couple of years ago. It's not current, but works well with DishNetwork HD service. Needs a serious upgrade ore replacement to work with DirectTV HD. We just switched to Dish from Direct to get the HD.

Ray Davis
06-11-2009, 08:11 PM
I have KVH in-motion, however, I'm not sure of the model at the moment. I'd have to check documents in bus. It's working fine with standard DirectTV. I do not have HD service.

Jon Wehrenberg
06-11-2009, 08:37 PM
I'm new, but here I am asking a question already. I'm currently at Marathon Texas. I have a KVH model L3 in motion satellite system that was installed new in 11/05. Unfortunately it has been damaged (I'm not pointing fingers but it was working when I got here to pick up the bus and now it doesn't). I would like to know what everyone is using. IE: tilt up like a Moto-sat, stationary dome, or in motion dome. They are going to replace it tomorrow so I need info PDQ. Thanks all.

E squared.......We had problems with a KVH and when we tried to get it serviced it was frustrating to put it mildly. It was strongly recommended we get a TracStar because the entertainer coaches were being fitted with them because of their reliability.

I can say that with the exception of a bad cable connector that the TracStar techs helped me isolate the performance has been superb. It load extremely fast and we now listen to XM radio over it while going down the road. It loads and locks and has been very reliable.

I will not ever go back to a KVH.

aggies09
06-11-2009, 08:54 PM
On Jon's recommendation about a year ago, we had a new TracStar system put in and it works great. We have never had an issue with it. We use DirecTV service. Good Luck.

jelmore
06-11-2009, 09:31 PM
Jon, sorry about your trouble with KVH. Maybe that was an older model? Our KVH R5 supports HD through DishNetwork on multiple receivers. It has to be programmed by an installer to the satellites you are subscribed to, but once done, it's pretty much flawless on finding and tracking satellites. I've found KVH support to be excellent, but I haven't had to have anything repaired.

HarborBus
06-11-2009, 10:07 PM
Boy, you guys are great I rally appreciate the quick responses. FYI I am with direct TV and have been for years. I do notice that KVH systems do not support many HD channels as the KVH systems work on the Ku-band and DTV is in the process of changing to the Ka-band so there only approx 15 HD channels available. You can read more at: http://www.kvh.com/hdtv/hdtv_directv.asp. I still haven't made up my mind so keep the comments coming and thanks again.

garyde
06-11-2009, 10:36 PM
I have KVH and its a 2001 I believe with two recievers for front and back tv with RCA recievers and Direct tv. the only problem I've had was with a bad satelite reciever. I replaced it for abou $190.00 and everything works fine.
http://www.kvh.com/LandMobile/

Trendycat
06-11-2009, 10:42 PM
As a DirecTV subscriber since 1995, I found only one setup that would support the full HD DirecTV lineup currently, a fold down dish from Winegard called the Trav'ler. I believe Motosat has a similar setup, but my research indicated that most people had found the Winegard product to be more reliable.

I had the setup put in at the beginning of May and it has worked flawlessly so far. One button puts the system in motion and it usually seeks and locks on to all three satellites in about 2-3 min. Signal strength has been far better than the stationary setup at my house ever was. Stowing for travel is also a single button push and takes less than a couple of minutes.

The only drawback is that it can only be used while you are parked, but that was not a factor for us.

Bruce

Jon Wehrenberg
06-12-2009, 07:14 AM
Jim,

I wore myself out tryinng to get my KVH to work properly. The techs put their computer on it and diagnosed it as the receiver. It wasn't that. So now I have two receivers. Then they came up with another diagnosis. That was also wrong.

When I got back to my house I manually set it to point at the satellite and it received a picture like it should. I explained to the techs how it would not lock and therefore had to be in their system. After far too many conversations with the techs I gave up.

The TracStar compared to the KVH (when it was working) is fast. The soonest I can get a signal when we hit the road is at the bottom of my driveway. I turn everything on when I get to the bottom of the driveway and in less than a minute, maybe around 30 seconds it is locked and working. We never turn it off when we are in the bus and unless the signal is blocked by trees or bridges it is always working. With the old one even when it worked it would lose the signal sometimes and for a while we listened to it whine and spin and move trying to find the signal again.

I'm sure newer versions of KVH work just fine otherwise they would be out of business, but I just got tired of dealing with them.

Kevin Erion
06-12-2009, 09:40 AM
I had a KVH 5 on my old bus that was installed in 06 and my 2nd bus now has a Tracstar and I like it much better. It locks on faster and I have had no problems.

nrhareiner
06-12-2009, 03:28 PM
When I purchased this bus it had the (for then new) KVH. To say that it was a problem is a gross understatement. Finally I just gave up and installed Tracstar. It works as promised, and is reliable.

HarborBus
06-12-2009, 07:04 PM
Thanks again for all your help. I have decided to get the TracStar as it seems to be getting the best reviews and no negative feedback at all. Everyone, on this as well as other forums, that has had one has like it. So now all I have to do is find one competitively priced, any ideas?

Jon Wehrenberg
06-12-2009, 07:35 PM
Occasionally TracStar gets returns and they go all over them and resell them as reconditioned units. Two POG members were able to negotiate a better than retail price.

You might want to contact them directly.

If you already have a coax cable going from your current receiver to the roof you have all the wiring you need in place. The entire TracStar operates via that cable including its power (24VDC) and all the signals and commmands.

It is easily installed with only four hold down bolts. You will just need a few shorter lengths of cable for the boxes that go near your receiver.

Or you can spend a lot of money driving the bus somewhere and spend even more getting someone to put it on in about 20 minutes.