PDA

View Full Version : Tool question

hillndale
06-10-2009, 09:36 PM
Hi everyone,
After weeks of much anticipation, we finally got delivery of our new Featherlite over the weekend. All i can say is its one of those rare instances where something has exceeded expectations. We're all just amazed at the ride quality and handling of Prevost. Hard to believe something so big could drive so nice.
Anyway, we're working on outfitting it with everything we need for our upcoming cross country trip and of course want to make sure we're prepared for the inevitable mechanical problem.
What kind of tools would you all recommend for the box? And since we've never owned a Canadian built vehicle, are most of the nuts and bolts metric or standard?

PS: will post pics of the new rig soon.

rfoster
06-10-2009, 10:32 PM
Congrats on the new bus, I can see you grinning from here.

May I suggest a good tire gauge is probably the number one tool if I had to pick one, and an inventory of all engine/generator/alternator/a/c belts. Both metric and SAE wrenches have been required on the coaches I have owned, plus someone always wants to borrow one.

I am sure there are others who have worthwhile recomendations.

May you have as much fun and pleasure from your new coach as we have had with ours.

hillndale
06-10-2009, 11:50 PM
Congrats on the new bus, I can see you grinning from here.

May I suggest a good tire gauge is probably the number one tool if I had to pick one, and an inventory of all engine/generator/alternator/a/c belts. Both metric and SAE wrenches have been required on the coaches I have owned, plus someone always wants to borrow one.

I am sure there are others who have worthwhile recomendations.

May you have as much fun and pleasure from your new coach as we have had with ours.

Thanks. Yeah, we're definitely pretty excited. A couple more weeks and we hit the road on our maiden trip to the GrandCanyon and tour of the west. Still learning all of the many systems and procedures.
I hadn't thought about the spare belts but that definitely makes a lot of sense. Finding an accurate 100+psi tire gauge is not easy but i think i found a good digital one made in germany. It didn't come yet but should any day and then i'll see if it is as accurate as they claim.

Joe Cannarozzi
06-11-2009, 01:06 AM
You should have a full blown top box set from Craftsman or snap-on or such, get a slide out tray..........for starters

congratulations on the bus

mike kerley
06-11-2009, 07:15 AM
Congratulations on the new bus. Tough to sleep those first few nights.

I'd include a good MultiMeter (volt-ohm-amp-temperature) with leads and sensors in that tool box. There are a few wires, fuses and gadgets in that bus! I also carry and use often a hand held laser thermometer for checking tire/wheel temps on the bus and the toad.

Enjoy the moment!

Mike and Karen

Jon Wehrenberg
06-11-2009, 08:10 AM
A good set of basic tools is a necessity, with smaller hand tools such as a screwdriver set with a good selection of tips being high on the list. I rarely use my sockets or wrenches when travelling, but often need a screw driver for simple things like tightening a cabinet hinge .

I would suggest you come to OKC and wander around to everyone's coach and see what we all carry. Almost every one of us has tools and spare parts we know we need based on our personal on the road experiences.

A lot of what you carry also depends on how much you are willing to do yourself. If you don't intend to replace a fuel pump on your generator for example because you don't want to get into those kind of repairs then why bother carrying the tools or spare parts?

The bus may be Canadian made, but most of the fasteners are SAE with the metric stuff being on certain items such as the generator.

hillndale
06-11-2009, 09:29 AM
Thanks everyone. Learning new things each day about this thing and you all have been a huge help.
Laser thermometer sounds like another great idea which i never thought of. What is the limit to the tire/wheel temperature where we should start worrying?

mike kerley
06-11-2009, 10:07 AM
Wheel and tire temps have a lot of variables. I do a walk around at each "pit" stop and look for any tire or wheel that is hotter than any other on the bus or toad. If a brake is hung or a tire is underinflated, it will be hotter than the rest and you'll catch it. Just takes a second to aim the laser at the tire, then the wheel and on to the next one.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
06-11-2009, 05:01 PM
One of my favorite tools to have, but thankfully have not used yet?

Coach Net

RV Technical and Road Side Assistance

https://www.coach-net.com/rvowners/Default.aspx

But I too have a few necessities, like screw drivers, hammers, Volt/Ohm Meter with Laser Thermometer.

Gary S.

phorner
06-11-2009, 06:25 PM
My advice is:

1. Check the POG roster for members that have more than say...a couple thousand posts or so and memorize this list.

2. Try to always park next to them..... best alternative, have their cell phone number.

3. Chances are, you'll never need any tools of your own :D

JIM CHALOUPKA
06-17-2009, 08:45 AM
Not sure on this one. http://www.fingerhut.com/ProductGroup.aspx?offergroupxid=46037

What do you guys with years and miles of travel under your belt think about this tool?

Would it be worth carrying all the time even if you only needed it once?

Joe Cannarozzi
06-17-2009, 09:02 AM
Jim I have experianced that most campground owners take it very personal when you start trimming trees.

Jon Wehrenberg
06-17-2009, 09:03 AM
We have been in a lot of campgrounds, some really crappy and poorly maintained, but as near as I can recall I only had to have the campground people cut branches out of the way once. If your real intent is to do landscaping when you get parked, or to cut down trees in the campground for firewood, then by all means go ahead and buy it.

garyde
06-17-2009, 10:18 PM
Hey Jim. Before you climb that tree....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RovFWYFgXvc&feature=related

flyu2there
06-17-2009, 10:43 PM
Wow....Do you all realize that Fingerhut Industries was the maker of those lovely clear plastic car seat covers that were oh so popular some 30 years ago? For a few bucks more they would send the ones with the gold stars embossed upon them that were guaranteed to photograph on your naugahyde or velour.

Jim, I have one of those things only its gas (Poulan) and works great for trimming your own trees PROVIDED you are wearing a football helmut. Don't think, as Joe mentioned, that many folks (owners, rangers and the like) would find it amusing for one to drag one out and commence to re arranging the surroundings........

John