PDA

View Full Version : XZA1 vs XZA2 Michelin Tires

LarryB
06-10-2009, 02:24 AM
While nosing around the other day I noticed a couple of XLV Marathons with XZA2 315 tires. Seems I usually see ZXA1 mounted on XLV, that is what I have mounted on my bus. What is the a difference between the two? I have heard the 1 is getting harder to find, and the tread is the only difference and also one person said the 2 has a softer sidewall. 3 guys 3 opinions--imagine that. What is the real story?

Jon Wehrenberg
06-10-2009, 07:21 AM
To avoid opinions and get at the facts I suggest going to the source. Michelin has a good site with a lot of information. I believe they have a selector where you put in the application and it pops up the tires receommended for that use.

LarryB
06-10-2009, 01:03 PM
Jon, I used M's site and what I was able to glean from that is that XZA1 and XZA2 are very similar and used for the same purpose, highway/ heavy axle application. They are not classifying their tire as to which tire will handle or ride better. They do suggest that the 2 is energy efficient and will help in fuel mileage [I doubt that used on our rigs we would see much in the way of fuel savings, maybe longhaul high mileage trucks would however.]

So after saying all that, I guess what I am now looking for is Opinion or stated a better way, 'First Hand Knowledge'. I have the 'party line' as it were.

Thanks

Joe Cannarozzi
06-10-2009, 01:59 PM
Larry there is tons and tons of posts and threads on the topic.

If I had to give an opinion to try to sum all up I would have to say that Michelin is for sure the most expensive. The Chinese tires are way less expensive and to date none here have had any failures. Most here have the ability and prefer to spend the extra doe because it makes them feel good.

It never ceases to amaze me in this age of competition how 1 manufacturer with a product completely similar to its competitors is able to continue to further their product with a price attached that is so out of line with the rest of the industry.

Jon Wehrenberg
06-10-2009, 02:22 PM
Perception Joe.

Even the Michelin tech guy that put on the seminar wanted me to believe the Shanghai tires were going to end up shredded and only Michelins could offer the longest service.

The Chinese manufactures have not yet learned how to put up a fancy web site, how to get named as the OEM supplier to Prevost, or how to convince people that expensive does not equal better.

If I walked out in the garage tomorrow and found my four Chinese tires had exploded I would probably go out and buy more because I have long ago passed the halfway point. Half the price, but now more than half the life of a Michelin.

LarryB
06-10-2009, 03:35 PM
Joe and Jon, I agree with your comments however, Respectfully, I'm not asking for info on 'other manufactures tires', I'm after info to compare XZA1 and XZA2 Michelins.

Jon Wehrenberg
06-10-2009, 07:28 PM
Larry, There isn't a soul on this site that can help because you want someone who can quantify the exact differences, benefits and drawbacks of one versus another. As Prevost owners few have ever worn out a tire, much less measured the parameters of one versus another.

Your answer is still Michelin. I am sure they have a way to communicate with the engineering types so you can get answers specific to how you intend to use the tires. I might have luck with one, but cannot tell you how that type relates to the one not on my bus. To add to the difficulty of asking one of us, even if I ran one set followed by the other type on the next set I still could not objectively state the differences. As our tires age they seem to harden, so as I am replacing an older set with a new set, all I will be able to say is that the first set rode harsh and the new set rides like a dream. I would not likely be considering how nice the first set rode when first installed.

Further, if I lived in snow country I would be comparing tires and their handling on snow or slippery roads, yet you may be concerned with how they are on dry southwest highways.

If you really want to pursue this, see if you can find out quantitatively how using nitrogen increases tire life, cuts down heat, and makes the tires less susceptible to leakage over time.

LarryB
06-10-2009, 08:07 PM
Thanks Jon, This is not a big deal I just thought that maybe one tire rode or handled better than the other or that one was becoming harder to find. I do know that the 365 tires were very hard to get balanced compared to the 315. That problem seems to have been solved by Michelin. This info comes from Marathon. So this is the sort of info I was looking for. I have XZA1 on my coach that are 6mo. old so I won't be replacing them anytime soon---I hope. Just noticed the XZA2 tires and thought that someone was on to something.

As for the nitrogen question, I worked for 5 airlines, 1 large aircraft manufacture, and the US Navy. ALL use nitrogen in their aircraft tires so, it follows that somewhere there is a stack of data on the pros and cons for it's use.

lewpopp
06-10-2009, 09:46 PM
Jon,

Close to me there is a Double Coin dealer. Other than the size, are there any other specs one should ask for with the Chinese tires or are there only the one to pick from?

Jon Wehrenberg
06-11-2009, 07:48 AM
Lew, When Roger and I checked them out here were the criteria we used in making our decision, in the correct order:

Was a 315R 22.5 available?

How much did it cost?

Was it round?

Did it hold air?

Both of us had checked prices for every type and make of tires in our respective areas and I know I went on the internet to the extent I could and looked at the manufacturer's info on the tires we were quoted from everybody, including Double Coin. I forget the manufacturer's real name.

All I remember is that they were listed for all positions (steer and drive) and the specs such as speed and load were the equal of all others. They also had a tread design that looked very much like the Michelin.

Not real scientific, and probably a poor way to buy tires but it has worked out well. I know a POG guy that has them on his bus all around and he does have what appears to be a balance problem that he may have resolved by now. For Roger and me I think I can say we are both satisfied and the ride is good. Jim C might be able to tell if they are still doing well.

JIM CHALOUPKA
06-11-2009, 09:13 AM
My Double Coins are still doing very well.
When I need more I will continue to use them if nothing changes. (price, availability, quality).

JIM

Gary & Peggy Stevens
06-11-2009, 05:11 PM
Jim C. did you put them on all wheels, including the steer?

I think that has been everyones biggest concern? Ok to save $$$ on the back tires, but do I want to risk saving the $$$ by using Dbl Coin on the front vs. proven Michellins?

Lew, I talked with the Vice President from Double Coin, about 3 weeks or so ago, just trying to get some information about his tires, and he was very helpful and of course informative.

Shoot him an email or call him and tell him your with POG and I am sure he will be a wealth of information for you.

Aaron C. Murphy
Vice President
CMA, LLC
406 E. Huntington Drive
Suite 200
Monrovia, CA 91016
888-226-5250, 626-301-9579 (fax)
aaron.murphy@cmaintl.com
www.cmaintl.com

GDeen
06-11-2009, 11:15 PM
New tires on my bus are the XZA2's. Steve pointed out they have a little different tread pattern with blockier lugs.

JIM CHALOUPKA
06-12-2009, 12:15 AM
No Gary, I still only have the four Roger put on.

JIM

rfoster
06-12-2009, 08:11 AM
But Jimmy C. you meant to say 4. Right? Actually A1 installed those and ,did a fine job too. I fed him a Pals" Burger for his trouble. And that included delivery from Knoxville to Blountville Tenn - at least 200 miles round trip. What a guy.