PDA

View Full Version : Front shocks

gmcbuffalo
06-09-2009, 12:18 PM
Well I did it, I put two extra shocks on the front of my 1991 XL and I can say no hard bangs on hitting potholes and things that would normally cause me to grit my teeth. Less up and down springy travel on road dips also. I was worth the effort for me.

GregM

rahangman
06-09-2009, 12:25 PM
How done? Did you do it or have a "shop" do it? Cost" what shock did you use?

gmcbuffalo
06-09-2009, 12:35 PM
I did it myself. The coach had the mounting support holes already and I got the 2 shocks, 4 hanger pins, nuts and washers from PrevostCar. It cost around $300 in parts. The hardest part was that I had to clean out the screw holes with a tap, because of dirt and rust over the years made it next to impossible to screw the pins in. I was able to do it by lifting the bus, then use Jon's stands to keep it up while I crawled around under the front.
GregM

gmcbuffalo
06-09-2009, 12:40 PM
This when I found out the previous owner had put on transist coach shocks, $20 cheaper, and they don't have the travel length as the right size shock. You can get right size the shocks in different grades of stiffness. This is way I have to use a jack to get the extra 1/2" in the front to put Jon's stands in place.
GregM

Joe Cannarozzi
06-09-2009, 02:16 PM
Greg we too have 4. On ours the studs for the front/fronts were different from the rear/fronts. Did you encounter this?

gmcbuffalo
06-10-2009, 12:50 AM
Joe, no I didn't, maybe because Prevost only sent me four of the same thing. I never took off the existing shocks to compare.
GregM