PDA

View Full Version : oil and 8v92's

gmcbuffalo
06-09-2009, 03:30 AM
Just did a quick run from Portland,OR to SLC, UT and back. Oil level at my first fill up was just about low. So with a 8v92 I started looking for 40WT Rotellea or Delos 100. No luck, every truck stop only had multi-grade oils. Findily I just put in some 30wt Delos 100. But it sure opened my eyes to the fact that I need to start carrying my own oil, truck stops no longer carry oil for our older DD's.
GregM

dalej
06-09-2009, 07:31 AM
Greg,

My normal procedure is to fill the oil reservoir and then have two gallons in the bay.

It seem when I get up to 5000 miles it starts to burn more. (or drip more) :)

truk4u
06-09-2009, 08:08 AM
Mine uses oil also once I get close to the 5000 mile mark. I have been getting mine at NAPA.

Jon Wehrenberg
06-09-2009, 08:37 AM
If you do your own oil changes it is cheapest and most economical to just order a drum of the correct 40 weight oil.

Be aware that not all 40 weight oils meet the Detroit Diesel spec. I think JDUB once posted or discussed at a seminar that he found some popular brands that did not.

LA-HODAG
06-09-2009, 11:00 PM
I have been able to get 40 weight Rottella T at WalMart. They don't always have it, but when they do I grab a couple of gallons. p.s.: I learned the hard way that if I fill to the full line on the dipstick, I get oil sprayed all over the back of my bus and my toad. Do other 8-vs act this way?

gmcbuffalo
06-10-2009, 12:21 AM
I have heard this but I was definitely on the low mark this trip and noticed the most spray I have every had. WalMart in SLC didn't have the oil I needed either.
GregM

rahangman
06-10-2009, 12:21 AM
With my diminutive experience, I never let the oil get much more than 3/4 of the way on the dipstick full mark. On RR locomotives, we generally believed that the dipstick denotes an "Operating Range" and as long as you are safely within that zone, then that is ok. Of course, this also demands that I religiously check my oil, which also gives me a reason to glance around the engine compartment more often. Now for a question, does anybody have a reasonably accurate process to gauge how much oil is running from the aux oil tank down to the engine? I just take into consideration the ambient tempurature, gauge the viscosity of the oil, count to ten, then wait a few minutes (depending on temperature) to re check the oil. :)

Joe Cannarozzi
06-10-2009, 08:07 AM
Mark and calibrate the site tube as you fill it next time.

I just accidently delieted a (long) PM to you, please just call me 708 862 5274

Darrell McCarley
06-11-2009, 08:17 PM
GREG.........Did you travel I-84? How did you fare on the mountain climb east of Pendleton. I have a 8V92 so I wonder about engine temps, gears and speed on a long, steep climb. I have never seen a climb like this one. I was not in my bus, using my Jeep instead. The truckers were down to 10mph. What were your engine temps and speed?

gmcbuffalo
06-11-2009, 08:29 PM
Darrell
Yes, Imake that run at least twice a year. I run in cruise control set at 65 MPH. I manual drop a gear lower as the RPM drop to 1700, this generally kicks the RPM back up to 2000+. I keep doing this as I need to for each gear. Even with the cruise control set to 65 MPH I am ussually going about 35 MPH and with coolant temp 195 deg. Turbo boost was 25 and the Pyrometer 900L and 1000R.
GregM