PDA

View Full Version : Low Water pressure

MangoMike
07-31-2006, 11:55 PM
'97 Liberty Classic

My House Water pressure has been getting worse since OSH. The pump cycles like it should and primes ok. I checked the pressure in the accumulator tank (hope that's the correct term) from the bicycle valve at the top and the pump kicks in at 35 lbs and cllcks off at 50 lbs. Seems to me that it should be a lot more pressure. Can the pump regulator be adjusted? I remember Lester talking about the accumulator tank and the bladder leaking - don't know if this is the case or not. I have Well X Trol model WX 102 accumulator.

I'm trying to keep Mrs. Mango happy.

What's the next test I should try? Else at POG II I'll be showering in the LewMobile.

Thanks

Mike

dalej
08-01-2006, 07:29 AM
Mike, shut the fresh water pump (s) off, let all the pressure off the system and then check the pressure on the tank. It should be around 7 pounds, not over 10. If you keep loosing pressure in the tank, then it's the bladder. I had this same problem so I went to the sensor pump that shurflo makes. We just love it, simplifies the system. You can throw out most all the factory pluming (not the piping) It sure simplified my water bay.

About the pressure switch, there is a main adjustment bolt (the taller one) for every rotation of the nut toward the base you get one pound of pressure increase, (square D brand).

If you want to look at the pump that we use and where we bought it, http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-pumps-water/rv-water-pump.htm

Jon Wehrenberg
08-01-2006, 08:19 AM
Mike,

Dale is right about checking the expansion tank with zero water pressure. I don't know what the air bladder pressure should be. I think Dale has a different one so check with Liberty.

But also check your filters. I am assuming you have three. The first should be a wire mesh one at your pump. You should also have two cartridge filters next to the HW tank.

I installed a pressure gauge in my system (on polished copper piping for the bling contest) so I could monitor system pressure. It is worth installing a gauge, even if temporary to make sure you have a pressure problem as opposed to a water flow problem.

It is unlikely a pressure switch setting change will cure a problem related to dirty or clogged filters.

MangoMike
08-01-2006, 09:21 AM
Guys,

Thanks for the response.

Dale, are you still using the accumulator tank w/ this new pump?

Jon,

WHere on the system did you install the pressure gauge and how many lbs should be showing at full charge?

Mike

dalej
08-01-2006, 09:54 AM
No, I took everything out and just installed the pump where the tank was mounted. Its great!

Just Plain Jeff
08-01-2006, 10:53 AM
Big surprise at my response here:

Accumulator tanks are charged at the factory and it's very rare to have a bladder leak (at least in that tank).

You likely have a factory PAR Marine pump, which is a commercial/marine version of the Shurflo, which ain't gonna handle yer H20 needs like a PAR.

I'd take out the accumulator tank, pump and related machinery and put in a Headhunter. We've had excellent results with ours, plus it has a cool control panel on the top and Lew could veneer it for you (LEDs too!). No need for the accumulator with the Headhunter (About $700 Lew Bucks retail).

With the Mangoettes, you're gonna need the water.

Jon Wehrenberg
08-01-2006, 11:29 AM
Everybody is missing the fact that Liberty requires a huge volume, relatively high pressure flow for the toilet. The actual usage per flush is not that great, but for the few seconds it takes to flush a lot of flow at high pressure is maintained.

If Mike starts engineering his plumbing system (everybody has a different one so he will get all kinds of advice) he runs the risk of having something not work properly, such as a loss of shower water pressure when someone flushes. With 3 girls and Mango Donna that is a distinct possibility.

Mike, I teed into the line where the hose bib was in the waste water bay. The only time the pressure gauge will not read accurately is when I use a hose from that fitting, but you can actually install one anythere you can tee into a water line downstream from the pump and accumulator tank. I can't read my tank bladder pressure, but it is on the label in case you need to verify the bladder is not water logged.

mike kerley
08-01-2006, 01:22 PM
Guys,

I find that a decrease in water flow means either a filter or screen is clogged or the device or faucet itself has "something" restricting the flow.

In Florida, its usually small chunks of minerals (calcium or lime) that build up in the screens or aerator ports of the faucets or shower heads. Clean them and the flow is back.

I added air to my pressure tank to take it just below my set pressure for the pump (lbs). That keeps the pump running during a shower and stops any fluctuation in temperature of the water. On our coach, it takes more pressure to get through the two water heaters than the cold water system, so as the pressure went up and down, so did the amount of hot water. Keeping the pump running by increasing bladder pressure solved that problem. I recently changed both of my PAR units with the same model I removed. $49.00 each at a marine store (I have two pumps, two separate feeds from fresh water tank, merged before the hot/cold split) and they work great. The good news is with two, if one dies or clogs up, the other keeps us in the game (with reduced flow, but as I age I'm getting use to that) until I have time to repair it.

Jerry Winchester
08-01-2006, 03:53 PM
I know Mike will need all the volume he can get to flush those anacondas away. I'm sure the Mangoettes are petite, but anyone who will send dog crap in the mail needs a power flush toilet.

MangoMike
08-01-2006, 08:32 PM
JDUB, I have no idea what you're talking about.

JPJ, You're probably right about the pump change, but I'm curious why when the water pressure was relatively decent, the fall off.

Mike, I'm going to check my screens. Hopefully it's something simple.

Jon, The pressure gauge is a good idea.

Will keep you posted.

MM

Ray Davis
08-08-2006, 06:51 PM
I had horrible flow in my coach until someone suggested the screens. I went through every faucet on the coach, and they were ALL clogged with calcium and gunk.

Replacing with $5.00 worth of new filters and everything works great. First place to check. Remove the filter, and turn on the faucet.

MangoMike
08-08-2006, 10:30 PM
Ray et al,

Although I haven't changed the individual faucet screens yet, I did replace the large Culligan filter in the water bay. Huge difference. I must've picked up some water with a lot of sediment because the filter was really clogged. Working great - thanks for all your help. Mrs. Mango is now squeeky clean.

Mike

Jerry Winchester
08-09-2006, 12:19 AM
Gee, now you have the coach equivalent of kidney stones? If you leave that coach in the Church of Love parking lot much longer, it will have some coach related STD that will require Roger or Tom to come help you with.

I've been working with Meg to help you out. And you will have mail shortly. Don't let Mrs. Mango open it. Especially if it is wet :eek: