PDA

View Full Version : Chicago - McCormick Convention Center

tomklau
06-05-2009, 10:47 PM
Has anyone stayed in the marshalling yard at McCormick Place Convention Center in Chicago? We hear you can dry camp there. We're heading to a Cubs game and it sure would be nice staying downtown rather than 50 miles away!

If you've stayed there, please share the scoop with us!

Karin

Joe Cannarozzi
06-06-2009, 07:02 AM
I have been there it is where we tailgate the Bears games.

I think that would be a great place to park see the city.

I have not spent the night there and am unfamiliar with the rules but there is security it is fenced in and is a safe location.

We are talking about an asphalt lot.

When are you coming?

I-55 North comes to an end at Lake Shore Drive, go south to the first ramp. If the lot is reasonably empty there is a median with grass and trees planted, maybe 4 ft wide, about 1/2 way in. You can parallel park next to it and use it for a front yard, typically that is where we park for the football game.

michaeldterry
06-06-2009, 10:13 AM
Karin - from the McCormick Place website:

The parking rate is currently at $19. This is a flat fee regardless of the amount of time the vehicle is parked. Parking fees can be paid by cash or credit card; VISA, MasterCard and American Express are accepted. Parking lots are open throughout event hours. Overnight parking is not available.

The official McCormick Place website is here: http://www.mccormickplace.com

Here is a link to the Chicago Parking Industry Labor Management Council (PILMC) website that has dynamic maps of the parking in Chicago with specific information about each area/lot. http://www.chicagoparkingmap.com/ Maybe that will give you some ideas. You can always use the "Jeff Bayley" approach and just park somewhere like you belong there!

Joe Cannarozzi
06-06-2009, 05:00 PM
I do not know how overnight goes but I know there is a guard in the gate house and tractor trailers in there 24-7 According to the Mc Cormick website Mike put up Lot B is the one we used and all the semis use. It is not mentioned on the site other than the photo. I'm sure the big rig drivers spend the night there when nessessary. That 19 dollar rate may not be applicable I know we used to get charged 25 bucks for a football game.

If you would like to overnight there I can take a ride and ask the gate keeper/guard. I think it might be probably o/k, it would be no trouble at all.

You are welcome to stay with us next to our bus across the street. It is less than 100yrds to the train station and it will drop off right at the ball park or drive time is about equal.

We have not been to Wrigley Field since we were 10, great part, accept for the lights it hasn't changed one bit.

tomklau
06-06-2009, 09:57 PM
Thanks! I actually did a bit more research and came upon www.choosechicago.com website. That led me to information about the marshalling yard for McCormick Place along with the phone number:

"Fenced, patrolled lot open 24 hours, 7 days a week, 365 days a year except during very large trade shows. $20 per day with in/out privileges.
Call (312) 808-3138 for more information. Parking lot attendant can provide taxi information for drivers returning to the downtown area."

We were at a rally recently and someone had told us about the marshalling yard. They'd stayed there before and recommended it. Of course, we couldn't remember who the heck we were talking to about it!

I'll let you know what I find out when we call!

Karin

tomklau
06-06-2009, 10:01 PM
Joe -

Tom and I are big Cubs fans! Whenever we are up that way during baseball season we always go to Wrigley! We'll be there in September and already have our tickets :)

We'll call the marshalling yard on Monday. I'll report back on what I find out.

Karin

lewpopp
06-06-2009, 10:14 PM
Tom,

You mean to tell me you are galavanting all over the world and you are leaving the resorts alone with the little tattletale Roger? Isn't this fun. I do something ( or at least someone thought I did) for a laugh to see how long it took the tattletale to report and he broke a record.

Joe Cannarozzi
06-07-2009, 07:50 AM
Karin the directions I gave earlier will be correct and it will be lot B on that McCormick website.

What is the date of the game and what are your seat#s

aggies09
06-07-2009, 07:00 PM
Jen and I are looking for an RV parking area for about three days in July so dry camping is not really an option for us. Joe, can you or anyone else recommend a park that would have decent access to the train into the city? Help appreciated.

Joe Cannarozzi
06-07-2009, 08:36 PM
Terry your willingness to take the train in opens up many possibilities.

Commuter service into here from South Bend, In from the east, Milwaukee to the north Rockford and Aurora going West.

There is a place Paul and Janice stayed in Marengo I think, he will chime in, I believe it was about the closest, nothing to write home about. The campground will be able to tell you where the closest commuter station is. It is about an hours drive from there if you wait till 9am to head in.

If that does not work for you what way are you coming from.

I was unaware of the opportunity to overnight at McCormick lot until that was posted here. That is the ticket if you could get by with water.

tomklau
06-08-2009, 09:58 PM
Jen and I are looking for an RV parking area for about three days in July so dry camping is not really an option for us. Joe, can you or anyone else recommend a park that would have decent access to the train into the city? Help appreciated.
We've stayed at the KOA in Marengo...Train about 15 mins away and an hour's train ride in. They have a FEW spaces to accomodate a 45 footer, it's tight though.

jasperjr
06-09-2009, 08:51 AM
Tony,

What days will you be in Chicago? My wife and I will be traveling in and out, but if we are in, you could stay at our house (full hookup) easy access to the Fox River Grove train station (1 hr train ride)

Just an option for you.

aggies09
06-11-2009, 10:56 AM
I believe that we are planning on being in the area for 3/4 nights beginning July 18th. Obviously, it would be more convenient to be closer in, but as I have found out through investigation and this post, that is not an option in Chicago. I sincerely appreciate your offer. Let me know if these dates would be something that may work for you and I can open that possibility up as an option as I plan.

Thanks.

Joe Cannarozzi
06-16-2009, 04:12 PM
We currently have some visitors and in attempt to make their stay more enjoyable I called around to see what the charge would be to have their holding tank pumped out so the do not have to drag over to the local flying-J.

100 gal 195 bucks. Is that a bunch of crap or what.

phorner
06-16-2009, 04:22 PM
So, Joe, you're sayin' it's $1.95/gallon ???

That's some EXPENSIVE crap!!

GDeen
06-16-2009, 04:24 PM
So, Joe, you're sayin' it's $1.95/gallon ???

That's some EXPENSIVE crap!!

And people run my industry down for selling crap that has been buried and subject to a perfect mix of heat and pressure for a few million years for a about the same price.

Joe Cannarozzi
06-16-2009, 06:53 PM
Is it time to revive the thread we discussed that antiquated system Wenabago used to use that injected the holding tank through a spray tip into the exhaust and burned it.

If there were something out there like that now that could be installed for reasonable cost I would be on it like flies on crap. (I think it is now safe to define Sawdust as a bad influence)

Better yet it would be hooked up to the gen exhaust too.

sawdust_128
06-16-2009, 07:11 PM
Joe: that's a crappy thing to do!!

Jon Wehrenberg
06-16-2009, 07:26 PM
So instead of covering the countryside with a liquid waste, Winnebago opted instead to convert it to dust and then apply it to the countryside.

If you could recover it would it be known as instant crap? Just add water and mix?

Why not just pump it up onto a flat surface on the roof, like an oversized baking tin, and let solar energy evaporate the moisture. Then we can bag the remains and sell it as fertilizer.

This group is definitely going to Hell.

phorner
06-16-2009, 07:48 PM
I think you guys are on to something here..... after all, that waste is more than 99% water.

So, if all ya got do is somehow vaporize that water..... the remaining crap should be easy to deal with. :eek:

phorner
06-16-2009, 07:54 PM
After all.... they're now selling Worm Poop fertilizer.

So, maybe there's a way here to pay for some of that fuel....

Maybe the "H3-45" variety would be marketed differently than say the "XL" variety....

All kinds of possibilities....:rolleyes:

JIM CHALOUPKA
06-16-2009, 10:07 PM
Milwaukee has been doing it for more years than I can remember.

Their product, Milorganite.

http://www.planetnatural.com/site/milorganite.html

JIM

hobobimmer
06-17-2009, 07:53 AM
First, the Bicycle Thread and now, the Chicago Camping Thread. Is every Thread going down the toilet?:) So glad I checked in to POG WORLD to start my day off right. I've read that laughing is like "internal jogging", it is very good for you. I think it is safe to say that we must be a very healthy group. Yikes. I'm even rationalizing your c---

MangoMike
06-23-2009, 10:56 AM
Joe -

We'll call the marshalling yard on Monday. I'll report back on what I find out.

Karin

Tom,

Was there any response on your call about using the marshalling yard at McCormick?

Thanks

Mike

jelmore
06-23-2009, 01:42 PM
We stayed there last week. Not a problem. Easy to get to. $22. Plenty of space. They can call you a cab at the entry gate and you'll get picked up at your bus. Or, for faster service, walk about 1/4 mile up to 31st and hail one driving by. If you have a toad connected, no extra charge.

rodburtonmusic
06-24-2009, 12:09 PM
We currently have some visitors and in attempt to make their stay more enjoyable I called around to see what the charge would be to have their holding tank pumped out so the do not have to drag over to the local flying-J.

100 gal 195 bucks. Is that a bunch of crap or what.

That is a load of golden crap... :)

Hey Joe...sorry I missed you last week. We were in Florida..will be calling you in a bit about some other things.

On a related note though..I've been using the Cabellas there at the 41 exit. They've got a nice place to pull up there and dump...no charge, easy in and out..and a place to park if you need.

Just some crap I thought I'd share. :)