PDA

View Full Version : Point Reyes, North San Franciso?

LA-HODAG
06-04-2009, 10:28 PM
Does anybody have a suggestion for a place to stay around Point Reyes, north of San Francisco? I found a place called Olema RV Resort in the town of Olema near there. Has anybody been there? We want to be able to get into the city without driving too far, and we also want to be able to get to the redwood groves. Olema seems to be in the right location.

Any feedback or suggestions would be appreciated!

Ray Davis
06-05-2009, 12:25 AM
Brian,

I stayed there a couple of times, probably 12-14 years ago, and in a much smaller vehicle.

I remember the place was nice, right near the ocean. A bit of a windy road to get there.

Unfortunately, I don't remember the actual camping spots. There was a lot of grass I remember, but I'm sorry at can't remember more. There was an Elks Club group camping there the two weekends I was there, and they had some fairly large rigs.

Ray

Steve Bennett
06-05-2009, 10:32 AM
We stayed there last year. The spots are plenty large, but we had an issue with poor power. It probably was an isolated problem, but we needed to plug into the sight next door. Like Ray said, the roads into that area are small and twisty.

LA-HODAG
06-08-2009, 03:06 PM
Thank you, both. I think we will check it out in August.

p.s. for you Californians: Emma Wood State Beach was gorgeous this weekend. Saw lots of dolphins and few sea lions. No whales this time.

Parking the bus right on the beach just over an hour from home is the ultimate summer weekend getaway for us.

Ray Davis
06-08-2009, 03:15 PM
Brian,

Thanks for the note regarding the beach. I'm looking for somewhere near that a group of us could get together the weekend of 7/10. A couple of questions:

1. Can this place easily handle a few 45 foot rigs?
2. I assume it's boondock?
3. Do you happen to know how the cell coverage is there? If I come early, I have to work, and need reliable ATT 3G coverage. (Don't have the big old satellite dish anymore!)

4. Would you be interested in joining that weekend?

Ray

LA-HODAG
06-09-2009, 11:17 PM
I already replied to Ray by email, but for others who are interested, Emma Wood State Beach campground is just north of Ventura off highway 101. It is totally primative. Not even a picnic table. But you park just a few feet from the surf. Cell service is fine. There are a number of spots long enough for a 45 footer. Reservations are through ReserveAmerica. The RA site lists the length of each campsite. The "campground" consists entirely of a wide shoulder of old Highway 1 and some WWII gun sites. It is between a freeway, railroad track and the ocean. Not everyone's cup of tea. The surf drowns out the traffic noise, but you will hear the trains. My signature photo is from Emma Wood.

Kenneth Brewer
06-10-2009, 12:33 PM
Would anyone know if there are parks like this on the coast in either Washington state or Oregon that they recommend? Exactly what we are looking for to include on our trip. Thanks.

gmcbuffalo
06-10-2009, 04:47 PM
The problem with Oregon State Parks are the trees. Even if the site is large the trees overhang. They get pruned but over time that leaves a real thick stick to hit. Sunset Beach is the only one that I have faith of finding open space. I have not been to all of them so Sattelite imagery should be checked before stopping.
GregM