PDA

View Full Version : Want To See A Naked Bus?

tdelorme
05-28-2009, 02:35 PM
It's no secret that I dinged the bus awhile back. Fortunately the company doing the repair found damage that I had missed and included it in the estimate to the insurer so we should get everything taken care of. The guy talked me into repainting the whole bus, so I'm going to kick in the difference for a complete new paint job. The original colors were Imron and we are going back with the same colors in a different design. The DuPont rep was there this morning matching the old Imron numbers with the new numbers and says we won't know the difference. Our insurance is with National Interstate through Explorer. Great to work with. When I heard how high the estimate was, I offered to take the coach to another facility but they said that was not necessary. The head adjuster had spoken with the shop and gone over each item and he was good with the dollars so the work started last week.
In the first picture, the guy on the ground is sanding a new SS panel in the area that will get paint. They had polished the whole panel before the install and it was a strange feeling watching a polished panel be sanded.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i174/tdelorme1/n2.jpg

Here you can see different colors of the origional primer. There were two coats of primer over the whole bus. Grey primer first and then a yellow looking coat.
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i174/tdelorme1/n.jpg

There were just a couple of tiny dings on the rear cap that they used an epoxy filler on.
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i174/tdelorme1/n3.jpg

The one missing panel is coming from Canada but should be here next week. Painting a bus is a huge job. I'm going over to Dallas once a week to keep an eye on the progress and push things along without being a pain. I just really miss not having my camper parked at home and ready to roll and we're still about three weeks away and thats if all the parts come in on time.

Loc
05-28-2009, 02:40 PM
Ted,

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt with painting the bus. It took two months start to finish. What days are you in Dallas. I will be there tomorrow at Prevost to pickup my bus from its slide out roof repair.

Loc

tdelorme
05-28-2009, 03:14 PM
Loc i ran over there early this morning. Next week the guy is going to have a pattern for us to look at on Wed. He says the DuPont guy will shoot the new colors for approval as well.
Sorry we missed meeting up for lunch. I've got a coupon for a free Big Mac that I'll Fed-X to you instead. You back in Houston yet? I don't have your NYC address.

GDeen
05-28-2009, 03:27 PM
I don't know Ted...looking pretty salty as is, kind of a Tex-Mex look - I say drive her now!:cool:

tdelorme
05-28-2009, 05:56 PM
More of a Desert Storm Camo, Gordon.
Several years back, we had an old Foretravel that I was going to do a Mossy Oak camo wrap on. It really would have made a great hunting/fishing coach but I sold it to an fellow who wanted it more than I did.

dalej
05-28-2009, 06:17 PM
Ted,

Thanks for the photos!

Keep us posted on the process, it looks bad in a good way.

Darrell McCarley
05-28-2009, 10:29 PM
TED............Where in Dallas are you having your paint work done? Always searching for a place for good paint work at a reasonable price.

hobobimmer
05-28-2009, 10:33 PM
Been there, done that, got the t-shirt with painting the bus. It took two months start to finish.
Loc

Loc:

We are very appreciative of your having had your former bus painted so nicely. We enjoy its beauty nearly daily.

Eric Faires
Huntsville, TN

tdelorme
05-29-2009, 07:11 AM
TED............Where in Dallas are you having your paint work done? Always searching for a place for good paint work at a reasonable price.

Darrell, the bus is at Cole Enterprises in Dallas. They do mostly big truck frame and body work. Recommended by Paul Davis at Mr. Olivers RV. So far, so good, but like I said, I am going over at least once a week to keep an eye on the work. The guys actually doing the work like having something different to work on and have really done a nice job on the prep work.

Joe Cannarozzi
05-29-2009, 11:21 AM
Ted I did not know you dinged your camper.

The panels that are above the wheels are pretty up and out of the way.

What happened Gomer, how about some damage pictures. The cat is out of the bag anyway.

dreamchasers
05-29-2009, 08:40 PM
Whew, Joe I thought you would never ask! OK, Ted where are the before pictures?

Hector

tdelorme
05-29-2009, 11:31 PM
The damage pictures are on my office computer but here is what happened. When we get home from a trip, I park the bus up close to the front door for easy unloading. It's a tight fit between a large oak tree and a stone column, but I have pulled in the same way at least a hundred times. I have no idea what distracted me, but when I was going through the narrow area I was to close to the stone column which is on the curb side of the coach. The first hit was the rear awing arm which was torn out of the stainless panel at the bottom and broke loose from the roller up top. The awning arm then rolled back along the side of the bus being held up by the column. The damage didn't look to bad at night, but the next morning I was in shock when I realized how bad it really was.
I have driven different motorhomes over half a million miles in the last 25 years and this is the first time I have filed an insurance claim for something I did. We have lost a couple of awnings over the years but I never dinged a coach bad enough to file a claim. It's just a real sick feeling when it happens but I'm over it. It's a bus, it can be fixed and it ain't the end of the world.

Joe Cannarozzi
05-29-2009, 11:42 PM
Don't you feel better you got that off your chest.

If you only had another inch:rolleyes:

I bet you won't do that again:o

Someone should come up with something like the back-up alarms that are currently available on some cars, modify them to work on the sides of our buses down low, have it manually operated with a switch, modern high tech curb feelers.

I saw where prevo now has factory tire monitoring systems for motor home shells.

Keep us up on the progress. I went 6 months without ours at home, suck it up, get ahold of yourself, we will help you thru it.

rfoster
05-30-2009, 08:12 AM
I sure am glad someone invented paint.

MangoMike
05-30-2009, 10:03 AM
Mel,

At least we now know who's the front runner for this years annual Wide Turn Award. aka Whiskey Dent Award.

Jon Wehrenberg
05-30-2009, 01:46 PM
I have to agree with Mike on the award. I had a few guys in mind, but right now Mel is well ahead of the pack as we head down the home stretch.

Having said that, the current owners of the award (who we will simply refer to as Crash and Bang) should take lessons from Mel. Here is a POG member we can all be proud of. He hurt his pride and joy, but unlike Crash and Bang he not only posted pictures, he told the story. Crash and Bang were secretive and actually thought they could hide their misdeeds. Mel needs to receive the award with honors. He is a true hero.

Jerry Winchester
05-30-2009, 06:28 PM
I hate to tell you but there are about 4 guys in the running for this deal. We may have to give multiple awards including the new Anal Dent Award - w/ Corvette Cluster.

garyde
05-31-2009, 12:44 AM
I have to back up to the back of our property passing a large Oak, the Trunk being about 6-10 inches from the passenger side. Its always close. additionally, backing up off the street, my front end touches the ground. I
raise the whole Coach up 6 inches front and back and then lift the tag which raises the front up 2 inches. I've scrapped several times.
Its not easy keeping the Coach dent and scratch free.

Jon Wehrenberg
05-31-2009, 05:51 PM
I hate to tell you but there are about 4 guys in the running for this deal. We may have to give multiple awards including the new Anal Dent Award - w/ Corvette Cluster.

Ancient history there Crash (or is it Bang?)

If you need to go that far back we can just regive you two the same award.

tdelorme
05-31-2009, 08:02 PM
Winning such a distinguished award would be the highlight of the year, no doubt. And, I will furnish my own trophy :)

Jerry Winchester
05-31-2009, 09:45 PM
Mel Torme,

Not to worry, we have your award.

A-1,

Ancient history? I didn't think that car was barely a year old and I know for a fact you dented it AFTER I dinged my coach, so I don't think the "Oh $hit" statute of limitations has run its course.

Jon Wehrenberg
06-02-2009, 07:26 AM
Crash (or is it Bang) don't look now but we have moved on. The deal with the car was brought up, its over, and the fact it happened before you got your award and was duly noted at that time makes it ancient history.

The fact that you attempted to hide your coach ding, and it only became public after the car got a jack stuck up through the fender is irrelevant. Both occurred prior to the award, both were noted (you and Bang having won top honors) makes it history. Or are you going to protest the Bling contest too?

What kind of damage to your coach are you trying to hide this year? Seems like you are trying to create a diversion.

dreamchasers
06-07-2009, 06:36 PM
Ted,

Any pictures of progess on your bus's paint job?

Hector

tdelorme
06-07-2009, 10:33 PM
Ted,

Any pictures of progess on your bus's paint job?

Hector

Later this week, Hector. I missed going over last week so that makes it mandatory to run over in the next few days. I'll post a picture or two when we get home.

tdelorme
06-16-2009, 03:58 PM
Here you go, Hector. I missed a couple of weeks of going over to check on the bus, but made a run this morning. Looking good so far. They sanded all the old paint off and have now applied two coats of primer and one coat of the color that will outline the new stripes. Repainting a bus is a huge job. Mich more involved that I ever imagined and I don't completely understand the steps involved. I can assure you that the guys that do this on a daily basis are very talented folks. This shop does mostly big truck repair and they have enjoyed something different. I dropped off two big tubs of Mother's polish and a couple of dozen towels and hired the son of one of the painters to polish the awning covers while they are off the coach. Still about two weeks out and I'm nervous as a whore in church. Crude way to put it and I apologize, but that's how I'm feeling.
The blue stripes are masking tape and the front top will be the reverse of the lower front.
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i174/tdelorme1/primer1.jpg
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i174/tdelorme1/primer2.jpg

GDeen
06-16-2009, 04:16 PM
Not going to show us the mural on the rear cap eh??

Joe Cannarozzi
06-16-2009, 04:19 PM
Looks good Ted I see both a little of the old and a little of the new.

You have both the current swoosh stripes and have retained the straight boarder between the paint and the polished.

tdelorme
06-16-2009, 11:09 PM
That's funny, Gordon. You know darn well my feelings on murals. Do you know how hard it was for me to ask you if you were keeping the one on your new coach. It was absolutely none of my business but man, I just had to know.
Thanks, Joe. I worked for days trying to get the design just right. I spent hours and hours changing things around to get the right mix. Everything I came up with stunk to high heaven so I got real creative and copied another bus. I ain't telling where it came from but if anyone can tell me which bus I copied I'll sent you a dozen micro fibers.

GDeen
06-17-2009, 11:20 AM
That's funny, Gordon. You know darn well my feelings on murals. Do you know how hard it was for me to ask you if you were keeping the one on your new coach. It was absolutely none of my business but man, I just had to know.
Thanks, Joe. I worked for days trying to get the design just right. I spent hours and hours changing things around to get the right mix. Everything I came up with stunk to high heaven so I got real creative and copied another bus. I ain't telling where it came from but if anyone can tell me which bus I copied I'll sent you a dozen micro fibers.

Ted,

It is the paint design from Britney Spears' bus isn't it? I will email you my shipping address.

(98 Liberty that Marathon was selling??)