PDA

View Full Version : Grand Canyon Parking???

hillndale
05-26-2009, 07:38 PM
Hello everyone,
We're expecting delivery of our FeatherliteXL2 in a few weeks and are planning a trip there in early July. Since there doesn't seem to be too many campground options, we're wondering if there is a place to park a 45 footer in or around the rim for a day trip (and then we would camp outside the area at night).
Also, are there nice scenic boondocking options in that area, or nearby?

hillndale
05-26-2009, 07:38 PM
Forgot to mention that it is the South Rim we're talking about.

Steve Bennett
05-26-2009, 07:56 PM
There is usually RV parking available in the visitor parking areas. You will have about a 1/4 mile walk to the edge of the rim near the El Travar hotel. The other option is staying in Williams, and taking the train to the rim.

adamdegraff
05-26-2009, 08:00 PM
Yes, there is plenty of bus parking. You will want to go directly to parking lot E. When you enter the park (from the south) you end up having to drive by all the good stuff. All the good views, all the main areas. The road bends to the left (west) and you drive along the south rim for a while. Parking lot E is basically the end of the line. Very clearly marked as RV parking, but NO OVERNIGHT allowed. Go towards the back of the lot and you'll see the long spots. There are actual bus parking spots right there. Can't say how busy they'll be in the summer, but when we were there, we were the only ones. (It was a beautiful day.) Then you take the tram from there. There is an office at that parking location. I think it is the "back country" office, the gateway to getting off the paved paths. If that is your cup of tea, you need not get on the tram. If you prefer the tourist paths, hop the tram (it's free) and let them take you back to the main overlooks.

Have fun. Take lots of pictures.

~Adam

hillndale
05-26-2009, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the info!
We don't have a tow car so were thinking either take the train from Williams or drive up in the bus. The latter is preferred so everyone has a place to rest when they get tired.
How maneuverable is the road (64?) heading up there from Williams? And does anyone know if traffic is usually a problem during the weekdays?

Jeff Bayley
05-26-2009, 10:02 PM
(Warning... Long e-mail for those of you who don't like them so skip this one. It's probably not very interesting except for the guy going to the Grand Canyon)
We stayed in the RV park outside of the Grand Canyon national Park borderlines. It was just outside the borderline. I don't member the name of it for sure but checking my GPS software on the computer the one called Grand Canyon Camper Village sounds familiar. Their phone number is 877-638-2887. They are located 5 miles from Grand Canyon Village which is the main reception place where the buses and trolleys come and go from that people have referenced. We never talk car, so we just took a cab there and took the trolleys around or walked. I tried getting into one of the campsites inside the national Park at night and it was too small for big rigs and I got stuck and had to back out. The other places reference in this thread where buses can park, I never found. I found lots of parking at a US post office inside the national park but there was no overnight parking allowed there.

If you're up for an adventure, there is a fairly unfamiliar and definitely off the beat and path place that we went to that is called Havasupai Indian reservation. The map I've embedded here is incorrect I believe. I remember going back out the way I came in which was due South, then heading due west, then having to backtrack Northeast to get to it. There are no roads to get to the reservation. You have to park at the top of the Canyon and a dirt parking lot and either walk down, take a mule down, or there's a helicopter that comes up and down every few minutes. The helicopter is $80 per person each way. It's about an 8 to 10 mile walk down the Canyon. This is a hike that people do in other parts of the park but the reason we went to visit this place is because we heard about the beautiful very large waterfalls as part of the river. Going to try to embed some photographs found online of the waterfalls in the beauty you can see if you're willing to make the side trip there. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures myself. I didn't even get to see the waterfalls. We arrived late at night in the RV and boondocks in the parking lot. In the morning we got the lay of the land with the cost of the helicopter and figure out we would hike down (there's a very well-worn path and it's very safe) and stay at the one single hotel they have at the bottom. Arrived at the end of our hike which is a backpack and changes socks underwear, etc. Bad news. Hotel is booked. Have to make reservations way in advance. Surprise! It took us approximately 5 hours to walk down because we were pacing ourselves, inexperienced, and stopped to take photographs. Lots of big chains of mules past is coming and going with supplies for the village. There are experienced hikers he passed along the way also. One lady was on her way up with a backpack full of supplies including her tent and everything else she needed to camp for several days.

This is a very primitive trip. No rest areas or convenience stores to stop for a Coke or water so take your own or take a helicopter.

Now the really sad part. After learning that the hotel is full we figured we'd go in and see the waterfalls that we had purposely gone for and then take the helicopter backup as planned. But the waterfalls are another 2 miles past the Indian village where the helicopter lands and takes off. There is camping right near the waterfalls but no electricity just tents and old-fashioned camping. We were exhausted, but having gone that far already we were going to walk the additional 2 miles to see the view we came for. Problem was the last helicopter ride was leaving in 10 minutes. So we had three choices. Go see the waterfalls and then hike back up eight more miles at night, or sleep on the ground and take the helicopter that next morning, or skip the waterfalls thing altogether and take the last helicopter up. Disappointed as we were, we had to opt for the chopper ride which is very uneventful and not to be compared with the helicopter rides to take you through the main expansive part of the canyon.

You can get a glimpse of the waterfalls and Nicholas Cage movie called “Next” but the photographs I've attached here are probably more beautiful than the quick glimpse you get of the waterfalls in the movie.

Also, one last thing. Get the correct directions & that was shown on the map that I've embedded is incorrect. If you're driving at night be very careful as you get within the last few miles of the parking lot because there are mules running loose on a country road with no lights and they don't seem to be bothered or spooked by the lights of a vehicle.

Jeff Bayley
05-26-2009, 10:07 PM
Having trouble getting all the pictures in one posting.

Jerry Winchester
05-26-2009, 10:14 PM
If you stay at the Railside in Williams, they will haul you to the train and back. The park is right beside the tracks, so you get to see all the trains and associated gear get positioned in the morning.

LA-HODAG
05-26-2009, 10:51 PM
We did Grand Canyon during spring break just last month. We stayed both in Williams (to hook up with friends passing through) and at Trailer Village in the park. The trouble with staying in Williams is the train schedule. It takes nearly two hours on the train each way, so the schedule leaves you with only about three hours at the park. In my view that is not nearly enough time. I'm glad we did the train once as my young son got a kick out of it (they put on a little show during the trip), but I strongly recommend that you try to spend a night in the park so that you will have a at least a full day there. Once in the park the shuttles will take you anywhere, so no need for a toad. The road from Williams to the park is totally fine and will take you about 1/3 the time of the train ride. Trailer Village is an adequate place to sleep and will fit your rig. (Much quieter than the town of Williams, which has freight trains racing through with horns blaring several times every night.) It snowed every night while we were there, but I understand it gets pretty hot in summer. You might appreciate being able to plug in to run your A/C. Trailer Village has hookups. p.s.: They tend to have a lot of cancellations at Trailer Village because it is so easy to reserve, so keep checking back if your preferred dates are not available. Have a great time!

hillndale
05-27-2009, 09:24 AM
Having trouble getting all the pictures in one posting.

Wow! Definitely going to put this indian reservation on the list (and start training for that marathon of a hike.) Do you know how the temperature at the camp area is in July?

hillndale
05-27-2009, 09:26 AM
We did Grand Canyon during spring break just last month. We stayed both in Williams (to hook up with friends passing through) and at Trailer Village in the park. The trouble with staying in Williams is the train schedule. It takes nearly two hours on the train each way, so the schedule leaves you with only about three hours at the park. In my view that is not nearly enough time. I'm glad we did the train once as my young son got a kick out of it (they put on a little show during the trip), but I strongly recommend that you try to spend a night in the park so that you will have a at least a full day there. Once in the park the shuttles will take you anywhere, so no need for a toad. The road from Williams to the park is totally fine and will take you about 1/3 the time of the train ride. Trailer Village is an adequate place to sleep and will fit your rig. (Much quieter than the town of Williams, which has freight trains racing through with horns blaring several times every night.) It snowed every night while we were there, but I understand it gets pretty hot in summer. You might appreciate being able to plug in to run your A/C. Trailer Village has hookups. p.s.: They tend to have a lot of cancellations at Trailer Village because it is so easy to reserve, so keep checking back if your preferred dates are not available. Have a great time!

Thanks for the tips. Has anyone stayed at the KOA in Williams? That looks like it might be a better place for the kids, plus it might be quieter since it is not right on the railway.

GDeen
05-27-2009, 12:45 PM
If you have a couple of extra days, try Rancho Sedona down in Sedona after you visit the Grand Canyon. We did that on our rental coach trip a couple of years ago - beautiful spot on a creek under the trees.

Sedona is in red rock country and is beautiful in its own right.

Steve Cooper
05-27-2009, 03:05 PM
Thanks for the tips. Has anyone stayed at the KOA in Williams? That looks like it might be a better place for the kids, plus it might be quieter since it is not right on the railway.

I went there once a number of years ago and the nicest thing I can say is that they were "indifferent" to me being there. Didn't have 50 amp service in spite of them telling me they did. I had a bad feeling when I pulled in and it only got worse when I had to deal with the people. I'm sure they are gone by now.

To be absolutely clear, this was a KOA about 5 or 6 miles north of I-40 on the road to the Canyon.

LA-HODAG
06-01-2009, 01:45 PM
We drove past that KOA on the way from Williams to the canyon and my son said something to the effect of "I'm glad we didn't stay there." I have to concur. It did not look promising.

Jeff Bayley
06-02-2009, 07:20 PM
hillndale-

No clue on the temperture question you asked but I'd recommend a back pack and freeze the bottled water so you have cold water all the way down.

For info on the lodge and camping:

Traveler Description: Inhabiting the Havasu Canyon for nearly 1,000 years, the Indian tribe operates a lodge and campground near Havasu Falls.
Familiar with Havasupai Indian Reservation?

Attraction type: Reservation
Activities: Camping
Address: P.O. Box 10 Supai, AZ 86435
Tel: 520-448-2731