PDA

View Full Version : Seies 60 overheating

Steve Cooper
05-26-2009, 03:43 PM
Before I take my 97 into the shop I thought I'd put this out there for comments. I was leaving the other day and after about thirty minutes, the engine started to get hot. Since we were in stop and go traffic I wasn't overly concerned, but then the temp never went back down and climbed to max of 224 degrees. I stopped to check and found the belt to the fan had shredded and was wrapped around the inside of the fan pulley. I had another belt so I made the change, fully expecting the temp to drop. No such luck. Even with a new belt the temperature still would rise to unacceptable levels which leads me to the following question;
Where would you look first? Thermostat, High temp sensor ( the DDEC allerted so I don't think that's it). Fan clutch? Water pump ( dry on the ground, no weeping)? The oil is black as pitch so I don't suspect head gasket.
With the new belt the fan did not engage like I would have expected.
I'll be taking in it this week but I would like to have some idea before limping over to the shop.
Thanks for the input.

JIM CHALOUPKA
05-26-2009, 04:28 PM
Steve, if you could add a signature with your coach conversion with year and length, that would make trying to help you easier.

The link is to some recent posts that sound limilar to your situation.

http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/showthread.php?t=3496&highlight=fan+belt+bellows

JIM

Steve Cooper
05-26-2009, 04:54 PM
I'm pretty good about airing up with the auxilliary before starting so I don't think I threw a belt. The belt that shredded was put on back in March and it had been a spare in the tool box for I don't know how long. It could have been old, could have come off when starting, I'm not sure I'll ever know. We'll check the alignment of that drive.
That still doesn't address the core issue, I don't think, of not cooling down after the new belt was installed. I may not have mentioned that the engine did not overheat right away. I had been running for thirty minutes so it had come to temp and was operating normally.
I'll need to change my signature.
Coach is a 97 Royale 40 ft.

JIM CHALOUPKA
05-26-2009, 05:37 PM
I was thinking that the replacement belt wasn't getting tight enough and the slipping wasn't letting the fan run fast enough to cool.

Also check if the new/old belt is in fact the correct one (length).

JIM

JIM CHALOUPKA
05-26-2009, 05:41 PM
By the way Steve, which belt was it, the one off the crankshaft to the gear box, or the one from the gear box to the fan blade?

JIM

Steve Cooper
05-26-2009, 06:02 PM
Gear box to the fan blade. I'm going to check the alignment. I wonder what the proper belt tension is? The replacment belt is the same that came off. I've replaced them before but if I made an error some time ago I'm just repeating it. I'm using a NAPA Fleetrunner 100510 HD belt.
I appreciate the help.

Joe Cannarozzi
05-26-2009, 06:03 PM
If you have OTR A/C turn it on and that should get that fan engaged same as if the temp climbs too high.

The clutch fan is electrically operated and should be able to be engaged manually. If it doesn't it's the clutch or possibly the hub bearing if it does engage and ruin another belt.

Steve Cooper
05-26-2009, 06:14 PM
Keep em comin', keep em comin'. No OTR air.
Man, you gotta love this forum!

JIM CHALOUPKA
05-26-2009, 07:39 PM
You could lock up the fan and see if it still over heats.
http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/showthread.php?t=964&highlight=fan+clutch

sorry I don't know how to do this any differently Steve. Look up the link and scroll down to #4 and read it. That's the important one if you don't know how to lock up the fan.

JIM

truk4u
05-26-2009, 08:06 PM
Your tension is adjusted by the air valve above the engine doors. The bellows for both belts are controlled by that valve. Use an air gauge and if I remember, it's about 50 lbs.

Since you don't have OTR, turning on the dash A/C will put the fan in high speed.

lonesome george
05-26-2009, 08:09 PM
Way to go Jim! That should narrow the gap on this one for Steve. My gut says fan clutch. Temp rise and belt failure on the fan clutch belt, no real fan engagement at high temp. hummm.

Steve Cooper
05-26-2009, 09:09 PM
I may have found the problem. Just went out with a flashlight to look for the bolts to lock the fan clutch. While looking around with the light I saw what I'm thinking is the control wire headed to the clutch has been partially torn through, not completely parted. I'm betting that if I repair that wire, I'll be back in business.
Opinions?

garyde
05-26-2009, 09:49 PM
It may be the control wire, or the wire was broken when the belt shredded.

Steve Cooper
05-26-2009, 09:55 PM
It may be the control wire, or the wire was broken when the belt shredded.

That's what I'm thinking.