PDA

View Full Version : H1 Hummers/Towing/Owning/Experience??

05-25-2009, 10:27 AM
I have a line on a really nice 2003 H1 Hummer Wagon, loaded lots of options and the right color scheme, really low miles.

I have no clue (like a lot of things) about H1 hummers as tow vehicles, reliability, have driven one, the ride was ok.

Am concerned about the towing aspect, weight, towing speeds, not much info on this beast.

Maintainance history, repair, problems, needed upgrades?? any experience with these units.

Can they if prepared really go anywhere off road??

Jon Wehrenberg
05-25-2009, 12:05 PM
We have an H2 which is a totally different vehicle so nothing I know about towing it may be valid for an H1. But to answer the question about if they go anywhere...........the simplest answer is if it will fit, it will go. The H2 will walk up a 16" high concrete wall, go over a telphone pole that is laying down, climb a hill of extreme steepness with only three wheels on the ground and other feats of agility that are far beyond what you would expect. The H1 has more capability.

It's good you are going solar to offset the huge volumes of fossil fuel you will use towing that at your reputed 80 mph, and then driving it. You may wish to consider diesel fuel futures as a hedge against rising costs brought on by supply and demand, a force you will almost single handedly be in control of.

In all seriousness, however if you do decide on it make certain you get a good braking system on it like the AF-1 or an M&G. That much weight, not properly equipped for braking will be a safety issue.

tdelorme
05-25-2009, 12:32 PM
Bruce, I think the H1 will tow the bus just fine.:rolleyes:

05-25-2009, 02:17 PM
The weight is a big concern for sure. I do not want to create a towing nightmare for the sake of having another fun vehicle. The fun gets canceled by the problems.

I have also not heard great things about the service issues on the older, pre- 2006 engines, transmissions and drive trains. Big changes in 2006. The prices are out of the park on the newer ones, more than some Prevosts. Pre 2004 is not nearly as bad.

I thought it would be fun in some remote areas to have a real off road vehicle that can handle the big stuff, maybe even tow the bus out in a pinch.

I should have started out with a more robust tow vehicle to start with.

It may be crazy to consider this as I would end up driving it around town from time to time. It might be like going to the store in the Prevost for milk.

It is all about price, towing and service for me, ride too I guess.

Loc
05-25-2009, 04:21 PM
Bruce,

The H1 would certainly be a fun toad to have and a talking point with everyone. You mentioned that you want something that can handle the bid stuff offroad. I have been offroad with an H1. It is great if you have deep mud and wide open spaces. The H1 was incredible approach and departure angles and will climb like a mountain goat. It is a pain with tight trails or big rocks. If you want off road capability get a Wrangler with lockers, a two speed transfer case and 35inch plus tires. If you want something large and in charge go for the H1.

I have towed my XL three times with the Jeep. The first two times, I got it stuck in the mud while camping at an offroad event. All it took was just a little extra pull and the bus was free. The last time, the bus broke down / caught on fire and I had to tow it a couple hundred yards off of the Interstate. With both lockers and the Jeep in Lo4WD it pulled the bus up a hill off the interstate and out of harms way.

The Jeep is not comfortable for more than 2 and has very little space which is a drawback.

Loc

JIM CHALOUPKA
05-25-2009, 04:58 PM
Bruce, there is/was a member of POG, from I believe the Gulf Coast region that has one for a toad.

JIM

Joe Cannarozzi
05-25-2009, 05:42 PM
I am waiting to here someone say yes I have one and it is a good vehicle, I am not going to hold my breath.

The one I had the unfortunate experience to get swindled into fixing on a regular basis was a total piece of crap.

From the windshields leaking to poor reliability to unbelievably hard serviceability.

They look kinda cool.

I would never own one, if someone gave me one I would trade it immediately.

rfoster
05-25-2009, 10:44 PM
Bruce: Which one is widest the H1 or the Prevost? You do realize that you are sitting beside the engine and so is your passenger. They drive and ride great but a bit of whale to buzz downtown for a gallon of milk.

I would recommend following A1's lead and go for the H2. It offers All the creature comforts and all the off roading a kid like you can stand. Some models offer air ride suspension (you can raise it 1-2") and all have differential locks.

Loc: My Mini Cooper pushed my bus - you wanna try hooking that Jeep to my mini?

05-26-2009, 07:58 AM
Hello Loc,

How well does the Jeep tow with the large tires on it? Can you run at full highway speeds or do you need to keep the bus under 65. Jon says I need to be driving over 75 to maintain the best fuel economy.

I have owned Jeeps in the past, used to have one as a toad years ago, it was fine, no issues, but never tricked it out for Off roading, just a stock Jeep.

The odd thing is that my current Toad was purchased because I did not want to be concerned about whether my Toad was right and was ready for towing.

Saturn readied the Toad for towing (other than SMI) it just isn't a very fun vehicle to drive and is not exciting at all, but has been absolutely trouble free.

Just bored and want something that is more in keeping with the bus, little more room and fun to own and drive.

JIM CHALOUPKA
05-26-2009, 08:24 AM
The more capable your vehicle gets the further and"harder" you will "offroad". In your endeavors you will always be chasing the weakest link, weather it be you or in the makeup of the vehicle. You will ultimately get stuck somewhere, hopefully you or others will not be hurt. The more remote and alone you are adds to the excitement, but also adds to the danger.
How would you repair such a vehicle in the remote areas of Maine or Montana, Idaho, if only on a simple logging road, with no one around for miles and miles?
It is best to participate in this type of event, and or racing in an organized function with other participants and safety personnel on hand.
Simple is better.
IMHO the H 1 Hummer is too complicated and special for your intent.

JIM

05-26-2009, 08:57 AM
Part of my reasoning is based on last years trip. We found several out of the way lakes and streams for kayaking that were recommended to us by locals who were either trying to help or get rid of us for good. Way off road miles down logging roads, great places in each case, but the Saturn was operating beyond its pay grade in each case. made it each time, but had a few detours around the big stuff getting there and back.

Would like to be able to just go with some degree of comfort knowing that the vehicle was up to the task, even if we were not.

There are always compromises in all cases, too much vehicle too little, great off road poor tow vehicle, too heavy,

1948 Willys Jeep easy to tow, easy to tip over easy to repair.

I might just add some bigger, wider run flats and wheels to the saturn, and drive it into the ground.

Joe Cannarozzi
05-26-2009, 09:54 AM
If you thought my previous post was nothing more than opinion and still want this H-1 and you are serious about maintenance and reliability or lack there of please talk to some who have had the opportunity to work on these tanks on a regular basis.

You will look away.

In your defence I could not think of a better stewart for the Marathon you currently have than you.The way and extent that you have gone through it has been totally complete. If anyone had the ability to overcome the maintenance and design nightmare of the H-1 it's you and I suspect it would be the same there too.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
05-26-2009, 12:17 PM
Bruce, I have the smaller size H3 Hummer and love it. All though in retrospect sometimes I wish I had the bigger H2, just for the additional room inside. Tows great, and no issues after I got it all set up.

Jon, do you have the M & G brake on your H2? I called them and they told me their braking system wouldn't work. The only brake set up at least for the H3 was the SMI Air Force One, which I had put on.

Works great, at least I think it does. :)

Gary S.

05-26-2009, 01:41 PM
Joe, I missed your post, sorry, this is important stuff, this is the reason I posted in the first place. wanted just this type of first hand experience. I was wondering if the whole package was a pieced together street version of a military Cluster (you know what) that becomes a nightmare to operate.

I do however really like the look and the size, feels like it fits better with our buses, but i really do not want to be chasing problems a long way from home.

I guess I should be thinking about something that is more mainstream, then of course why do we own buses instead of plastic motorhomes?

05-26-2009, 01:44 PM
Bruce, I have the smaller size H3 Hummer and love it. All though in retrospect sometimes I wish I had the bigger H2, just for the additional room inside. Tows great, and no issues after I got it all set up.

Jon, do you have the M & G brake on your H2? I called them and they told me their braking system wouldn't work. The only brake set up at least for the H3 was the SMI Air Force One, which I had put on.

Works great, at least I think it does. :)

Gary S.
Thanks Gary, Not sure if the H-3 (much better looking than my vehicle, bigger tires and all)offers much more room and a huge improvement in the off road side of things, will test drive one when I head to the H-Store this week, under a bit of self induced time pressure to get going, but will make the ride.

You mentioned the SMI brake. I think about the same thing, i cannot see my little light bar in my backup camera, hope it works?

Gary & Peggy Stevens
05-26-2009, 02:11 PM
Bruce, I can see the brake light SMI installed, through my rear camera but in the day lite it is sometimes hard to tell if if is on, but easy to tell at night.

You can't have the light installed in the toad, cause everytime you put on the brake, it lights up, even if you are just driving the toad. You don't want the bright blue light lighting up inside the toad everytime you apply the brakes?

Good luck on the Hummer Test drive. They should be making real good deals on them now !

Gary S.

lewpopp
05-26-2009, 10:06 PM
Looks like we have another case of Small Man Syndrome. The smaller the man, the bigger size tools he wants.

Jerry Winchester
05-26-2009, 10:23 PM
Lew,

Are the meds low is did happy hour end too soon?

rfoster
05-26-2009, 10:48 PM
"Is" is a Texas word for or. Or is that an Arkansas word? No the guy from Arkansas wanted to know what the definition of is is. It must be an Oklahoma term.