PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Air Bag as Jack?

Yankee802
05-23-2009, 03:01 AM
Ok, I thought of an idea while contemplating changing my wife's car's wheels, how about some kind of air bag for a jack? I figured someone else would have thought of that so I looked online and found some. $800 is where they start!

So here is my question, couldn't someone (me for example) buy an airbag like the ones our coaches use, and rig a valve to it and use it for an air jack?

Geoff

dalej
05-23-2009, 06:55 AM
Geoff,

I like the way you think!
http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/showthread.php?t=1916

garyde
05-23-2009, 09:39 PM
The only problem with that is Trusting an Air bag. I wouldn't without an additional support.

Jon Wehrenberg
05-24-2009, 08:16 AM
I think an airbag as a jack is a great idea as long as the same safety rules are followed when working on the bus. I raise my bus using the airbags, but then the support stands go under it to prevent it from coming down if an airbag should fail.

For changing tires on a car, but not getting under the car I see the airbag as a great way to get the wheel off the ground.

lonesome george
05-25-2009, 11:49 PM
Air springs (air bags, air mounts, isolators) are not designed to be inflated without travel restriction, a mechanical limit of some sort, shut off valve or regulator, do not just hook one of these things to 150 psi and let'er rip, it can get ugly in a hurry.