PDA

View Full Version : Xantrex SW Series 4000 Watt Inverter/Charger

05-21-2009, 06:16 PM
I am considering replacing my 2 Xantrex SW Series 4000 Watt Inverter/Charger 24 Volt, Model# SW4024MC2.

Have been looking around and have found that Xantrex has discontinued this model and have replaced it with a 4224 series model that appears similar but I am not certain, the remotes look different and is a different size as well. I was wondering about the wiring harness for the remote, etc.

Ha s anyone had experience with this model found a supply or have replaced it with the 4224?

Would be interested in learning more about the upgrade options.

Jon Wehrenberg
05-22-2009, 07:36 AM
Why will it be an upgrade? Are the ones you now have working? What will the new ones let you do that you cannot do right now?

05-22-2009, 08:12 AM
Good question Jon: I was almost certain that you would ask that question.

In an effort to have a little fun and at the same time improve the bus, I have decided to upgrade the Inverter charger system to a newer model that are tied to a solar solution as well as the 4DL batteries.

http://www.affordable-solar.com/Xantrex%20XW4024.120.240.60.Inverter.Charger.htm

The new inverters will tie to this Solar Controller:

http://www.affordable-solar.com/xantrex.xw.solar.charge.controller.htm

I can then take the space on my roof (7'X12') Diamond plate custom platform
and convert it to a solar array that will raise toward the sun. I am not using the observatory much as a entertainment location now and felt that as a ready to go solar platform I could add some additional (non-Generator) camping hours in remote locations.

My objective is to get at least 1KW out of the solar panels, possibly 1.2KW.

This is what I want on my roof minus the trailer. http://www.solaroversales.com/

Who knows maybe I can get a tax credit out of the install.

Jon Wehrenberg
05-22-2009, 09:29 AM
I'm all for going "green", after all I only drive 62.5 MPH so I can get the best fuel economy.:rolleyes:

However, as much as I would like to do neat things like that I have found the cost to benefit ration on all of this stuff sucks. I have looked at windmills, solar water heater for our pool and solar electric panels and the payback is so far out in terms of years it doesn't make sense except as an experiment.

In all seriousness, if you seek being green as a contribution to the ecology why do you brag about 75 or 80 MPH when you are using huge amounts of fuel compared to slower speeds? Have you considered a wind turbine that will not require a computer and complex tracking mechanism to get the most benefit? The wind turbine would have to fold down. I suspect the wind resistance of anything on the roof ups your fuel flow so just removing the deck may have a better return on investment?

Joe Cannarozzi
05-22-2009, 10:00 AM
I would like some info in practical terms for solar.

The up front cost is in the same category as the bus itself so I will not go there or mind.

You have a battery bank that is already efficient, you can easily get 10 or 12 hr boon docking without the need of heat or a/c with the auto start only running your gen for 3 or 4 hrs a day.

Then you have say 1000 watt panels that are about 24 by 24. So Bruce say you could fit 4 like this. In completely sun conditions what will the gen time be reduced to????????? 1/2 current, 1 hr, completely eliminate.

I have a friend that has 2 750 watt panels and he powers a small inverter that he leaves constant on a 19in lcd tv a dish box and a track vision and his batteries (3 wet cell) never get below 12.0 under load.

Bruce what is stopping you from adding solar with your current inverters???????

05-22-2009, 10:07 AM
Jon, I have already done the Wind Turbine thing, now on to solar panels: It is not about price or return on investment, it is rather about being off the grid, able to enjoy the great outdoors and be a little different.

Joe Cannarozzi
05-22-2009, 10:24 AM
Let me ask another way.

Most have a residential fridge, how many hours in full sun would it take how many of what size panels to run one of our fridges entirely off of the sun then getting you thru the night and to the next day, or is that even possible?

We park across the street and we have no power there so I need to run the gen for a few hrs a week to charge the batteries.

I would like a few panels to do this and if I could combine that convenience with being able to leave my inverter constant on along with my ice maker and our aux air compressor I would be a really happy camper.

I think I could do it with 2 1000 watt panels in mostly full sun but I am guessing. The u-line ice maker only uses a couple of amps when it is running and the air compressor only needs to run about 5 min once a day.

05-22-2009, 10:26 AM
I would like some info in practical terms for solar.

The up front cost is in the same category as the bus itself so I will not go there or mind.

You have a battery bank that is already efficient, you can easily get 10 or 12 hr boon docking without the need of heat or a/c with the auto start only running your gen for 3 or 4 hrs a day.

Then you have say 1000 watt panels that are about 24 by 24. So Bruce say you could fit 4 like this. In completely sun conditions what will the gen time be reduced to????????? 1/2 current, 1 hr, completely eliminate.

I have a friend that has 2 750 watt panels and he powers a small inverter that he leaves constant on a 19in lcd tv a dish box and a track vision and his batteries (3 wet cell) never get below 12.0 under load.

Bruce what is stopping you from adding solar with your current inverters???????
The current 4K inverters work great, they are reasonably new, 2005 upgrades.
These units are no longer in production.

The replacements 4224 has been upgraded to be part of a solar system that will control all three power sources as part of the overall system.

My plan is to place 4-400 watt solar panels up on the existing platform, add the parts and pieces that the company offers for raising and lowering the unit to gain max solar capacity (I will probably forget to lower this unit and drive under a bridge somewhere). I am not sure exactly what 1.6KW will add to my ability to reduce the Generator hours while boondocking but I plan on figuring this out before making my move forward.

Joe, I am thinking you meant 75 Watt units for your friend as I am unable to find much above 400 watts, and these are rather pricy.

05-22-2009, 10:48 AM
Jon, I have already done the Wind Turbine thing, now on to solar panels: It is not about price or return on investment, it is rather about being off the grid, able to enjoy the great outdoors and be a little different.
Here is an interesting website for calculation:

It really speaks volumes about turning off stuff you do not need while sleeping and during the day even. We turn off our Sat receivers and sat dish, and both computers and internet sat service at night. This sort of stuff eats up the watts fast on a 24 hour period.

http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/howmuch.html

Amount of energy used:

210 W (40" LCD TV )
750 W (A/C fan only)
57 W (Refrig, Post 2001) (Pre 1986 160 W)
350 W (14, 25 Watt bulbs, not sure how this measures using 12V lights, but think it is the same, just converted power )
90 W (2 17" laptops)
90 W (2 cable boxes)

It goes on and on, but it is easy to get to 1600 watts usage in 24 hours, but it is a good start, forget the AC compressor and so on.

gmcbuffalo
05-22-2009, 04:30 PM
I have 8 75 watt panels on a fix mount on my bus, granted they are at least 10 years old, to date I am not impressed with what they can do for me. I have solar congtroller attached to the batteries at the same place the inverter cables attach to the batteries. Sometimes my inverters will tell me I am overcharging and shut down. You are never in a position to get max output from these panels so I would say half the expected output.
GregM

05-22-2009, 06:23 PM
I was told that the new solar controller that is part of the new system is the heart of the whole deal. This along with 4-400 watt panels can accomplish much. The controller mentioned in my earlier post can mange and store what it gathers, turn off switch and generate the most from all sources.
I will do more research and let all know the results.

Thanks for the real world experience.

Jeff Bayley
05-22-2009, 09:09 PM
Bruce- Put me down as a prospect for your inverters if you replace them. Mine work fine, but I've got some possible uses for them. What do you have now ?

My two cents (why to they call it "My two cents" but "A penny for your thoughts" ? Where does that extra penny go ?)..........my thought on solar is that I'd park in the shade when possible and their goes the solar. You can't make enough to run an A/C or else it would be awesome. So in fair weather where you have windows open, the idea is to keep the batteries up and not have to run the gen. Is that correct ?

One of the best uses for solar I like are the walk way lights you put along your sidewalk, driveway, etc. No trenching any wiring. Just poke em in the ground and wala.........lighting at night.

Would be neat if Prevost (or a converter) made H3's with the entire roof with built in (and accessable for service) solar panels but I guess you need the tracking system that follows the sun. I haven't followed pricing TOO closely but have the solar panels not come down in price too much after all these years ?

05-23-2009, 08:32 AM
We try and park in the open so we can get a clear view of the sky for Sat server as we must be online at all times to manage our business activities.

Solar is not cheap, put if we were thinking cheap we would not own Prevosts.

I will keep you informed on the progress.