PDA

View Full Version : SMI Air Force One Reviews?

GDeen
05-14-2009, 02:10 PM
Read the long thread about Bruce's problem with the install from the Rally last year. Sounds like an ordeal but they stood behind their product in the end.

Any updates from users? Anyone else having problems? Good product?

M&G does not make a system for our Toad which is a GX470 so I am looking at alternatives.

Thanks

05-14-2009, 02:33 PM
The important take away from my experience is just that, SMI did stand behind the system, did take the time to upgrade it to a standard that is robust enough to meet the stresses our buses can apply to all equipment especially add on stuff.

Their latest version is an all in one unit that if installed by a qualified installer and very carefully secured to the chassis, all lines tightened and soap tested should meet your needs.

I would contact Brent at SMI and discuss your install configuration and location, as he has installers around the US. Just remind Brent to make certain that whoever installs knows exactly where to place the unit, the lines so as not to interfere with the drivetrain, suspension, and that all connections are carefully secured.

kenrobertson
05-14-2009, 03:11 PM
Gordon

We recomend and install Air Force One systems. Our guys think it is the best unit on the market and our customers are finding it to be trouble free. It can be a little labor intensive to install, but the final product is worth it. If you have any technical questions, feel free to call and talk to Rick or Ben.

Jerry Winchester
05-14-2009, 03:40 PM
Gordon,

We had the same initial problems with the unit, but it was really where it was mounted that presented the challange. We were able to relocate it and it has worked very well since and the redesign that removed the close nipple between the valve and tank and replaced it with a hose is way better.

The key is proper installation.

phorner
05-14-2009, 03:57 PM
I feel the same.

Eliminating the close nipple resolved an equipment problem. The primary concern at this point is competent installation.

Once properly installed, I'm confident that you'll be as happy with this product as I am with mine.

GDeen
05-14-2009, 04:13 PM
Sounds like a good system after some teething pains in the Prevost - thanks.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
05-14-2009, 04:19 PM
Gordon, I will second everybody's post above. The key is to get a QUALIFIED Installation. Make sure who ever is putting it on, has done the isntall for a bus, and your toad. Call SMI and find out where to go, in your area for installation.

We have it on our XLII and installed on the H3 Hummer. Works great, and NO issues so far with the SMI part of the installation.

Again, make sure the installer knows what they are doing, and that this is NOT their first installation.

Gary S.

GDeen
05-14-2009, 04:28 PM
Gordon, I will second everybody's post above. The key is to get a QUALIFIED Installation. Make sure who ever is putting it on, has done the isntall for a bus, and your toad. Call SMI and find out where to go, in your area for installation.

We have it on our XLII and installed on the H3 Hummer. Works great, and NO issues so far with the SMI part of the installation.

Again, make sure the installer knows what they are doing, and that this is NOT their first installation.

Gary S.

Gary, was yours done in the Houston area?

GDeen
05-14-2009, 04:30 PM
Gordon

We recomend and install Air Force One systems. Our guys think it is the best unit on the market and our customers are finding it to be trouble free. It can be a little labor intensive to install, but the final product is worth it. If you have any technical questions, feel free to call and talk to Rick or Ben.

Thanks Ken, is the Tuga discount in effect if I drive all the way to Tampa??:D

kenrobertson
05-14-2009, 05:29 PM
Gordon

As you know.........The Tuga discount normally only applies to in stock, pre-owned Newells, but I can make an exception! If we install your brake system while you are taking delivery of your new coach, I think I can probably get you the Tuga Deal.

tdelorme
05-14-2009, 06:10 PM
Gordon, listen to me. BUS FIRST, then all that other stuff. Quit sending me all those links and go buy a bus. Or, do you want me to run by Marathon tomorrow and pick something out for you??
Oh, and Gordon, Jennifer is right, "your in bus rut."

GDeen
05-14-2009, 07:40 PM
I know, I know - just trying to help you spend your money.:p

Since Ken has offered the vaunted Tuga discount on the SMI with a new coach, I should just go down there and buy a new Parliament from him.:)

Jon Wehrenberg
05-14-2009, 08:08 PM
I know Ken and he is a nice guy that deals hard but fair. What everyone is missing is he will throw in a new Parliament if you by an Air Force One.

There is a small installation charge, however.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
05-14-2009, 10:58 PM
Gary, was yours done in the Houston area?

No Gordon, SMI did not have any authorized installer / dealers in the Houston area. I know I couldn't believe it either. I had to drive North to Denton, TX, which is past Dallas. It was a long 3 days for the install, and let me just say, I hope you can find someone better to do your install. :(

Trust Me.

Call SMI and ask for their largest dealer / installer and in your area. You will be glad you had it worked on close to home.

Gary S.

mikedee
05-15-2009, 12:21 AM
I have had mine for over two years, not problem one. Brent installed my unit himself at an FMCA rally. It works great.

GDeen
07-08-2009, 11:32 PM
Just thought I would follow up with my experience with the SMI installation.

After talking with Brent at SMI, and talking with a few different service folks around the state, I decided to have the Air Force One installed at Motor Homes of Texas in Nacogdoches TX.

Made a Monday appointment and stayed over in their lot on a Sunday night on my way up to AR. After a holdup waiting on UPS with parts, they did an excellent job with the installation. Derrick is the service manager at the dealership and the installer was Isaac.

Isaac was very methodical and tidy with his work. The quote (and actual price) was 5 hrs but he spent more like 7.5 hours on the install. Although I was there a while, I appreciated his fine work.

The system works well and I would recommend Derrick and MOT highly. They treated me very well and stayed until 6 to finish up so I could get on the road.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
07-09-2009, 09:27 AM
Gordon, glad your install at M of T went well. It is a long install process, but when done correctly, you shouldn't have any problems from now on.

I should have chosen M of T for my install, but they were a little farther out of the way at the time. My Mistake, and yes I have made a FEW ! :)

Gary S.

Sid Tuls
07-09-2009, 01:16 PM
How much is this system complete? I did go to their web site but there were no prices & no dealer's in Calif.

GDeen
07-09-2009, 10:26 PM
Sid - about $1050 plus installation, which I paid 5 hours for at $100/hr.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
07-10-2009, 12:22 AM
How much is this system complete? I did go to their web site but there were no prices & no dealer's in Calif.

Sid, just call SMI in the morning and ask them about their most reputable dealer / installer either in Visalia, CA. or around the Amarillo, TX area, where ever you are at this time.

I believe I paid about the same amount, $ 1100.

Ask to speak to either Pete Schuck the owner or Brent. (800) 893-3763

Gary S.

BrianE
07-10-2009, 01:18 AM
Sid, If you're in the market for an under-the-hood brake system you might consider the M&G system also: http://www.mgbrakingsystems.com/. It is a very simple setup and works well. We have had them on 3 vehicles and have never had an issue. Due to the location of the actuator which is mounted between the master cylinder and booster, there are a few cars that it won't fit into.

There are several installers located in central Kalifornia, however suggest you phone Leon Meadows the owner of M&G who will gladly answer any questions not covered on the website and recommend his most experienced dealers.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
07-10-2009, 10:20 AM
Sid, your signature line does not show what you are towing?

If it is a Hummer vehicle, the SMI is the only unit that will work. I would have gone with M & G, but they do not work on the Hummer toad I have.

Gary S.

Sid Tuls
07-10-2009, 12:12 PM
Thanks Gary & Brain, I tow a 2007 Tahoe

Will Garner
07-10-2009, 12:27 PM
I am relieved to see these positive results for the SMI AF1. I was really stressing out after the initial problems showed up after Sevierville TN as I was responsible for SMI being there. I asked them to come since M&G told me their unit would not "fit" under the hood of my Hemi Powered Dodge Ram Pick Up Truck. SMI came to my rescue and I did not have any problems with their install. Pete also had me drop by his Evansville Indiana shop for a check when returning East from the 2008 US Men's Open in San Diego. The only problem I had was making a u-turn :eek: through a small, and old, urban two pump gas station opposite his Shop.

phorner
07-10-2009, 02:13 PM
Both the product, and product support, from SMI is first rate.

My only caution would be regarding the installation. Make SURE that the installer has experience with PREVOST busses, as there have been serious installation issues.