PDA

View Full Version : Loose Belts Series 60

Richard Barnes
05-13-2009, 04:21 PM
I can't find an air leak but the belts on my coach continue to get loose after the coach sits for two days. I found the air tensioner but there was no leak there. Any advice?

dale farley
05-13-2009, 05:13 PM
Richard,

I don't think that should be a big problem. If your auxillary air is being used, has a small leak, or your aux compressor is turned off, the belts will loosen. I think this happens to most of us after a few days.

If the loose belts are a problem (come off on starting the engine), just make sure you run the aux compressor before starting the engine and the belts will tighten. I usually don't worry about mine being tight even after a couple weeks, and they have never come off.

Loc
05-13-2009, 06:08 PM
Richard,

If you have soaped the small donut air bag and found no leaks, it is a leak somewhere else in your auxillary air system. I had the problem of spinning off one of the three belts after the bus sat for a few days with the aux air compressor off. I found a signficant leak in the air leveling system in the bay below the driver's seat and fixed that. The aux air level still goes down after a couple of days. I need to do more work on the system, but finding the time is the challenge. I will go see Hector this summer and all will be fine. As Dale says just run the aux compressor prior to start up and everything should be okay.

Loc

Richard Barnes
05-13-2009, 06:25 PM
Thanks guys, I'm glad to know its not a big problem. I'll use the aux compressor tonight to see if that works.

Jon Wehrenberg
05-13-2009, 07:37 PM
Richard, Richard, Richard.................

A leak in the aux air system is a HUGE problem. It will drive you absolutely nuts.

If your belts are loose, and they do not come off when you start the engine then loose belts are obvously no big deal. If you do throw a belt when the engine starts you can solve it as Dale describes and now the aux air leak is a bit of a big deal. Not a huge problem, but it is a PITA to try to remember to start the compressor before you start the bus.

Do you need aux air when you are parked? That's up to you and how you use the coach. If you do not need the pocket doors to slide (Elegant lady), or you do not need the bed to lift, or you do not use the air lock, or air horns, or care if the generator air bags have air, or if it doesn't matter if the driver's seat has air or if you do not need to operate the dump valves, then aux air, while parked is not important. Leave the aux compressor off and don't worry about it.

But if for some reason you want to maintain pressure in the aux air system, the leak down rate gets shorter and shorter and eventually you go nuts listening to the aux compressor cycle on and off. Age of the coach does this.

Finding the leaks is a challenge to express it as politely as possible. Even if you find where the leaks are, correcting the problem is sometimes a lot of effort. How big a deal leaks in the aux air are is dependent upon how you use the coach and what you need the air for.

Has anyone told you about the leans yet?

tdelorme
05-13-2009, 08:32 PM
Wow, Jon, talk about me being harsh. You dump the whole load of truth on a guy in one post. Richard, don't jump, leaks can be found and fixed and it's fun. The fun part is a lie, but leaks can be repaired.

Joe Cannarozzi
05-13-2009, 08:57 PM
I unhooked my limit switch for the aux air compressor because I was getting bubbles from the diaphragm.

Now it still works but entirely controlled by the switch on the control panel and I have stumbled onto something I like.:o

Now I can better control when it runs and also what pressure it goes up to. Used to run between 70 & 75. Now I can turn it on when no one is around run it up to 100 and only have to do that every other day.

All our coaches are unique I know. All I need aux air for on ours is the door lock/step slide.

truk4u
05-13-2009, 11:17 PM
Richard,

If anyone tells you they don't have any aux air leaks and you have shaked their hand, count your fingers!:D

rfoster
05-14-2009, 12:42 AM
You still can enjoy your bus even with air leaks. It is an ongoing task and I believe never ending task to maintain a leak free bus.

I had worked and worked on the bus that I had for 3 plus years, then when almost perfect in holding air I traded it off. But I never let that keep me from using and enjoying it.

JIM CHALOUPKA
05-14-2009, 07:23 AM
Roger, I am continuing in your pursuit of tracking down air leaks on the Bling Mobile.
Five port Norgren soon to go in.

JIM

Jon Wehrenberg
05-14-2009, 07:32 AM
Richard.....these folks are really sugar coating this. They make it sound as though aux system leaks are fun and no big deal. That's true if you are content to only turn on the aux compressor when you want to dump the tank, or lift the bed. And by the way, that is not a bad thing.

But if you are like a lot of us aux system leaks become an obsession.

I have been chasing leaks for the last few weeks and I actually know where two are. When I turn off those two devices (floor slide and regulated air to pocket doors) my total system will only lose 11 PSI in 12 hours. But zeroing in on the leaks as everyone knows, and repairing them are two different things.

Think of bus ownership as a hobby that you enjoy while traveling and then get to enjoy even more while repairing.