PDA

View Full Version : Oh Oh...

rahangman
05-08-2009, 07:48 PM
Getting ready for our trip to Colorado, changed fuel filters, checked oil and tranny fluids by the Prevost book. noticed a lot of grease around shield for radiator fan belt pully, cleaned it up and shot some more grease into fitting and also the belt cylinder but noticed that the main "big" belt for the radiator looked a little "loose" while running engine to leak check fuel filters. I can actuall grab the gearbox assy at the pulley (of course after shutting off eng/batteries) and give it a pull/shake and the whole assy jiggles. Is this right? I don't remember doing it before. I did not have the engine running long enough to really build up any heat. With the engine running should not the belts be turning a nice smooth rythm?

truk4u
05-08-2009, 08:39 PM
The 8V's are a little more jerky and loose compared to the series 60, but they're designed to move around a little. Did you check the belt tension to see if it feels OK? You should have an adjustment arm for the belt tension and making the arm longer tightens the belt. Do you have the updated fiberglass fan? The metal fans were prone to fail.

If you had a lot of grease coming out of the pulley behind the cover, you could have a seal/bearing issue.

Darrell McCarley
05-08-2009, 08:45 PM
rahangman.......Inside the rear engine doors, on the rear panel near the oil fill, you will find a valve with a shut-off handle and a air check valve. This valve should have 50-60lbs psi. Start the engine, let the coach air pressures max out, then check the air pressure valve. The belt should be tight.

Darrell McCarley
05-08-2009, 08:53 PM
RAHANGMAN.........Use your tire gage to check the air pressure on the air chuck to the left side of the air regulator.

LA-HODAG
05-08-2009, 09:43 PM
My '90 country coach does not have an air tensioner, which is what the last two posts were talking about. If yours is like mine, air pressure (or lack) is not related to your issue. If yours is manual, you will have large turnbuckle type device to tighten the belts. They should be tight. I had to experiment a bit to figure out which way makes it tighter.

p.s.: I know I promised to scan the CC manual for you, but I keep forgetting to bring it home with me. Sorry about that. Will try to remember again this weekend.

rahangman
05-08-2009, 11:46 PM
The 8V's are a little more jerky and loose compared to the series 60, but they're designed to move around a little. Did you check the belt tension to see if it feels OK? You should have an adjustment arm for the belt tension and making the arm longer tightens the belt. Do you have the updated fiberglass fan? The metal fans were prone to fail.

If you had a lot of grease coming out of the pulley behind the cover, you could have a seal/bearing issue.

How can I check this seal/bearing issue? I will try to determine where the grease is actually coming from either the front of the pulley or behind (engine side of pulley) If it is determined that I have a bearing issue, how do I go about replacing it?

BrianE
05-09-2009, 12:13 AM
It's easy to over-grease the pulley block. When you do the pulley shaft throws grease for a long time. Would suggest letting it dry itself up and then checking the pulley for excessive heat when you shut down for lunch and at the end of the day. That pulley block is really pretty durable. My normal lube was 1/2 a pump with a grease gun every 5k miles or so.

Joe Cannarozzi
05-09-2009, 10:02 AM
Just about everyone over greases that point. A real PITA trying to keep things clean around there.

Use high temp or marine grease it is recommended for that anyway and it will stay put better.

I put 1 pump in it every trip. Still makes a mess but small.

BrianE
05-09-2009, 10:21 AM
Here's hoping you can make a mess in the near future, Joe. :)

rahangman
05-09-2009, 10:26 PM
Cleaned up the mess, as Jon says, so you can see where/what your problem is, and charged up the air system good and checked the air pressure from the schrader valve next to the belt tensioner control valve , a little over #60. Shut all down and decided , heck, got the grease gun out, and the belt tensioner cylinder rod ends looked like I could grease them, but, lucky me, broke one of the zerks. These things are tiny ! went to 3 different locations (Saturday in Arkansas ) and couldn't find any small enough. Rod ends looked ok, cycled the cylinders once and everything moved smoothly, so will hunt some replacement zerks down while in Denver. Thanx again everyone, I appreciated it.

Joe Cannarozzi
05-10-2009, 08:04 AM
Don't wast your money greasing those rod ends. They serve no purpose accept to mess things up.

Maybe I should post a picture so we are sure we are talking about the same thing???????

truk4u
05-10-2009, 08:21 AM
He has an air adjustable belt tensioner for the fan drive on an 8V? Was that an option or upgrade?

Jon Wehrenberg
05-10-2009, 12:52 PM
Buses with the 8V92 with OTR had pneumatic belt tensioners.

Without OTR the tensioners were adjustable with a jack screw arrangement.

truk4u
05-10-2009, 07:15 PM
OK, thanks Jon..

rahangman
05-11-2009, 10:52 PM
My Prevo (90 CC ) doesn't seem to ever had the OTR, it has a Drivers Air type system (currently inop due to inop compressor , Senco I think). Also, I think I have read that the Headlight arrangement went from 4 hdlts to just 2 in 1991, but mine has only 2. What now?

Sid Tuls
05-11-2009, 11:36 PM
My Prevo (90 CC ) doesn't seem to ever had the OTR, it has a Drivers Air type system (currently inop due to inop compressor , Senco I think). Also, I think I have read that the Headlight arrangement went from 4 hdlts to just 2 in 1991, but mine has only 2. What now?

Hey rahangman, it was nice to meet you this evening sorry that had to cut it short. Had to babysit the new grandbaby:rolleyes: Hope to hook up in OK in Oct. Have to go to the ranch in the morning so have a safe trip:)

rahangman
05-12-2009, 09:15 AM
Thanx for meeting us, sorry you didn't have much choice. Gee, meeting a POG is like, well, like finding a good friend is right "there" Good talking at ya and will try to make OKC in OCT for sure. Enjoy the Ranch, even if it is wet today