PDA

View Full Version : NYC Campground?

adamdegraff
05-08-2009, 04:20 PM
Has anybody actually been to this place? It was brought up in a previous thread.

http://www.libertyharborrv.com/

We don't need a fancy campground, as we plan to be in the city for most of the time. But we would like to stay in a safe place where we can leave our bus all day without worrying about somebody sniffing around.

Comments?

Thanks,

Adam

Loc
05-08-2009, 04:25 PM
Adam,

When are you going to be in the city? Is this for work or play or both? I would be delighted to meet up with you.

Loc

Will Garner
05-08-2009, 05:13 PM
Adam,

Just off hand I would not think a spot on the Jersey City waterfront would be a good match for a Prevost. I have not been there for many years and I guess there is always a chance that improvements have been made to JC.:rolleyes:

Oh yeah, it is on a dead end street to boot. :eek: Of course if it is waterfront that would follow that it would have to be a dead end.

Just my 2 cents worth.

rickdesilva
05-08-2009, 09:43 PM
Adam
Liberty Harbor is Ok. Not bad considering the location and the access. Nothing great but the view is nice. We're about 15 miles north of the GWB in Mahwah, NJ. off RT 17. Its an easy run to the city. We have 30 amp and water and your welcome to stay.

adamdegraff
05-09-2009, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the input. And Rick, thanks for the offer. I need a spot that I can get in via public transportation quick and easy. It sounds like though this RV park is not exactly the Ritz, that it should provide the basic necessities... a relatively safe place, electricity to run the A/C's in case it gets hot, etc. I have a number of appointments, so yes, Loc, it's a working vacation. Lisa and the kids have their favorite spots that they intend to hit. But it's a small island. No doubt, we'll run into you. :eek: Where do you work... in case I find myself close by.

Thanks for the help.

Adam

TG Transport
06-16-2009, 08:36 PM
Fellas, we just just left Liberty Harbor Marina/RV Park and I've got to give it two thumbs up.... for NYC camping anyway. It is a no-frills facility - its really nothing more than a fenced area in the commuter parking lot for the ferry over to Manhattan. It was safe, well lit, and had 24 hour security. The ferry ran every few minutes in and out of NYC. We took our bicycles (the ones from the rack on the back of the bus - see Bicycle thread) over on it and spent the day riding through the city. Furthermore, we were kind of surprised by Jersey City as well. We ran a few errands in their downtown area and ate on their waterfront overlooking the Manhattan skyline last night before leaving this morning.

I must also say that my hat is off to Jeff Bayley for living in Manhattan in his bus for an extended period of time. Since we were only there for two nights, I made the decision to try parking outside the Today Show for our next visit....

TG Transport
06-16-2009, 08:40 PM
PS - Does anyone have advice on overnight parking in close proximity to Niagara Falls? We are heading there in the morning.

Jeff Bayley
06-18-2009, 10:02 AM
Towson- One more tip since your going to try parking in the city and specifically outside the Today show. Park on the same side of the street as the Today Show courtyard which would be the left side going down that one way street. I can't recall why, but parking on that side was always easier. I think the rearest most spot on that side is a "No Parking" and you can post it there until the cars start to move one at a time and keep inching up. Within an hour or so you should have the required 3 spots you need. What I do is put a post it note on the car in front of me that's in the space I want to move up to that simply says "Good Day- I'm in the bus right behind you. Would you be kind enough to knock on the door and let me know when your leaving ?" Usually their happy to comply. Leaving the shades up and just hanging out in the passenger seat on the lap top let's you see when to move also.

The thing is, an automobile driver would never find it practacle to sit and wait in this in this fashion. But we have a house on wheels to do many things to pass the time and wait. Once you get the spot, stay there several days.

Joe Cannarozzi
06-18-2009, 12:10 PM
For those of you who may not have met Jeff I would like to explain when he says several days he is talking 30 or 40:eek:

Jeff Bayley
06-18-2009, 09:04 PM
Adam-

Towson and Rick have good suggestions if you want to play it safe. If you want to be 200 yards (I measured it with map software) to a train from Hoboken to the city, email me and I'll send you info which is mostly uninteresting to other members. I tried to make some close up map views to post but I couldn't get them to transfer to an acceptable viewing as I liked. I can email them to you if you care.

The spot I know in Hoboken is on Frank Sinatra Park. There is a nice coffee shop 50 yards away in the morning with snacks. There is a high end restaurant 200 yards away with fine dinning. There is water front parking on the Hudson and there is a great view of the NYC skyline. The parking tickets are only $40 per day but you have a 50% chance of not even getting one. I'll send you the details and address and instructions on what to do in private if you want instead of boring all the members that are glued to RV parks with the un-eventful details. Quite frankly, I'm tired of giving 9 months worth of NYC experience to people that are fraidy cats and think it's a suicide mission. I don't know about many things mechanically, but one thing I DO know about is the lay of the land of NYC. But if anyone wants to know from now on, they can email me direct as I've grown tired of giving solid advice on NYC to people that have their umbilical chord tied to RV parks. I'm not an RV park guy. I'm in it for the adventure, the view (not a view of an RV out my window but a view of the NYC skyline or Times Square) and other things. Much more interesting to me. But if the stress of the worry bothers you, it's not worth it to sacrifice a good nights sleep. I sleep fine as long as my onboard generator isn't running. You see, I have my own demons........different than others.

Most of the members here are older and wiser and I. I just am too young and haven't learned to be that way yet. I also haven't had any experience to force me to be that way yet. Maybe they are to come, but until then I will enjoy and have fun. I like to "go for it" and mostly I wind up having a great time.

Email if you want the maps, address and skinny on NYC, the parking across the river I described within 200 yards of the bus statino to NY, water front parking and walking distance to gourmet coffee, good breakfast and fine dinner. I forgot to mention your parked right in front of a ultra high end GYM that you can pay a daily rate for and there is also a day spa that joins the Gym for anyone that cares. This is how I came to find the "spot". I had the Day Spa as a customer.

Everyone else, go to the fenced in yard or the very generous offer of Rick which is in close proximity and play it safe. To each his own. I like the adventure. Oh, I can tell you how to pick up fresh water at the river front spot at Frank Sinatra Park if you want.

More later if interested.

All the best.

Joe Cannarozzi
06-19-2009, 12:14 AM
Jeff don't be so humble.

Our interest in your boon docking escapades is quite the contrary to your perception. That is great stuff. If I ever make NY I will definitely check out that park.

This is all phenomenal info and keep it coming. I know you have posted it before but it was a long time ago and now we are more.

Jeff Bayley
06-19-2009, 09:20 AM
Ok Joe, you one of the few that seems to enjoy it. I have more stories I could tell, but mostly unbelievable to the average reader. Guess I should start keeping a diary or book on the crazy things.

Ray Davis
06-19-2009, 02:18 PM
Jeff,

Even if I would never attempt what you've done, I still enjoy reading about your adventures!

michaeldterry
06-19-2009, 02:46 PM
Ok Joe, you one of the few that seems to enjoy it. I have more stories I could tell, but mostly unbelievable to the average reader. Guess I should start keeping a diary or book on the crazy things.

Count me among the people who loves your stories and "how to's" on adventurous bussing! Please keep the stories and helpful hints coming - or if you decide to not post them publicly - take this as my official request to get anything/everything you're willing to share via PM or e-mail.

We fully intend to try many of your suggested parking spots and exploration ideas when we can make it to the NYC area. :D

Jeff Bayley
06-19-2009, 05:02 PM
Okay guys. I guess you restored my faith in the storytelling. I've been told my e-mails are way too long and guess what? They are not going to get any shorter because I got the software called Dragon Naturally Speaking which is a speech to text program and works great. As time has gone along, the accuracy of the program has greatly increased.the amount of time it takes to train it to recognize your voice used to be one hour when it came out over 10 years ago. Now it only takes five or 10 minutes. I'm a fast touch typists, but a tendon running across the front of my forearm kept swelling and getting worse from all the typing for work and more sore, so this is solving my pain.

Any of you that write extensive e-mails for your business or pleasure might like it. I strongly recommend it. $200. Comes with the mic. I got mine brand new in the box off C. List for $100.

JIM CHALOUPKA
06-19-2009, 08:25 PM
Please keep the tales flowing, Jeff. They are very interesting and give me (one who will never go to NYC again) an inside view of what I am missing.

JIM

michaeldterry
06-22-2009, 11:31 AM
They are not going to get any shorter because I got the software called Dragon Naturally Speaking which is a speech to text program and works great.

Jeff - I was given Dragon Naturally Speaking after my disabling accident in 2004. It is an incredible tool! I don't bother with it for shorter tasks, but it is a life saver for composing "epistles"! :p

adamdegraff
06-22-2009, 03:00 PM
So, that's why you guys are so wordy!

Just kidding. I LOVE these adventurous posts! In fact, I think I'll be giving it a try next time.