PDA

View Full Version : Towing in California

nrhareiner
05-07-2009, 05:19 AM
We plan a trip into California this summer. Here is the question, with our Yukon XL we are over 65' long. If we travel at the speed limit are the CHP going to give us problems? I have heard that the area where it can be a problem is southern CA around I-10. Is that true? We are going to be in the north, and leaving I-5 going toward Reno.

Thank you for your input

Loc
05-07-2009, 06:39 AM
Kim,

We spent two weeks in California at Christmas. We are about 66 feet towing the Tahoe. We can in on I-10 to Los Angeles, took the 101 up to San Francisco, the 99 back down to Grapevine, I-5 down to San Diego and I-8 to Yuma. We passed a lot of CHP officers, but didn't have any problems. I never passed anyone with the cruise set to 58 mph. I had one CHP officer come up beside me and sit there for a while, but did not have any issues. I talked with Kevin before the trip and he said the key is not to give them any reason to pull you over. Remember that usage of a cell phone (without a hands free device) is illegal and that could get you in trouble. I would be a little nervous with the longer Yukon XL just because the set up looks so long.

Loc

Jon Wehrenberg
05-07-2009, 08:51 AM
If I had to guess overlength coaches will be ignored unless the driver provides another excuse to get pulled over.

I have seen long stackers behind coaches and it is unlikely these drivers with 70 or 75 feet of length are being ticketed regularly unless they start doing dumb things like tailgating, speeding, lots of lane changing, etc. At that point their extra length become a bonus for the cop that decided to pull them over. The coach driver's attitude probably comes into play once that happens, and the cop can ignore the length issue, or if provoked require the toad or trailer to be unhitched. In CA, if in doubt, unhitch and have someone follow in the toad. Then at least you can push the speed limit a little.

I am towing my pickup more often now because of circumstances and at 68 feet in length I don't see any cops even giving me a second look. But I'm not driving in CA, nor am I speeding. At my speed of about 62 or 63 I stay in the slow lane and everyone goes by me.

Ray Davis
05-07-2009, 12:28 PM
I have never personally known anyone ticketed, but have heard stories. It seems the hot-spot is the I-10 between the AZ border, up to a few miles past Blythe. Evidently (as the story goes), that particular piece of road was funded locally, not federally, and tickets issued there go into local coffers.

If you are concerned either disconnect and drive through this part without a tow, or head over to I-40 or I-8 instead.

Again, I've never had a problem, and I would doubt if you travel near the towing speed limit (55 in CA), that you would not be hassled.

Ray

gmcbuffalo
05-07-2009, 03:21 PM
I would say make sure your tow lights work and stay under 55 if towing anything in CA.

I did get stopped once in CA for towing over 55, and CHP officer gave me a warning, after I told him I wasn't paying attention because I got a call an hour earlier that the doctors wanted to pull the plug on my mothers ventilator. He knew I wasn't paying attention because he said he followed me for 3 miles before driving up in front of me to get my attention. I figured I was lucky and have since never drive over 55 while in CA.
GregM

garyde
05-07-2009, 07:04 PM
My Opinion, and its only an opinion, the state is out of money. The cities are out of money, everyone is looking for revenue. It would not surprise me if CHP and other law enforcement aren't on their A game. You definately are gambling.
Any guess as to how much they are bringing in on cell phone tickets?

Ray Davis
05-07-2009, 08:23 PM
I see people all the time still talking on cellphones. Never heard of anyone ticketed. But, I'd agree with you that they are out to raise revenues.

We have a toll road near here, which used to be a invite to really speed. Now I see someone getting a ticket almost every time I travel that road.

Ray

nrhareiner
05-08-2009, 05:24 AM
I certainly agree that every state is looking for increased money. From the advice it appears that the key is staying 55 or below.

Thanks to all that replied.

phorner
05-08-2009, 11:56 AM
One state, might have ben NJ? just released a report stating that $100,000 had been collected so far in fines for the use of hand-held cell phones while driving.

Looking for income to supplement declining tax revenues?...... absolutely!!

flyu2there
05-08-2009, 04:20 PM
As the parent of a highway patrolman in California, I have been informed that the over length law is enforced however, they will only stop an measure if there has been another infraction, unless it is blatently obvious. Speeding is really what they are looking for, remember California has a 55 mph maximum speed limit on any vehicle towing anything; they tag at 60. The I-10 corridor from the AZ border to the Banning Pass has to be one of the fastest driven highways in the country and as such it is heavily patrolled. Lots of people get tagged on that highway but I would wager that when it comes to the over length thing, they only received that after receiving a speeding ticket.

California is stopping vehicles with Montana plates, and you will really get their attention if you have Montana plates and California plates on the toad. Also remember there are a number of roads in California where the length is limited, Highway 1 comes to mind, that will earn a citation. Prudent to review the laws on the DMV web site.

rahangman
05-08-2009, 08:00 PM
As the parent of a highway patrolman in California, I have been informed that the over length law is enforced however, they will only stop an measure if there has been another infraction, unless it is blatently obvious. Speeding is really what they are looking for, remember California has a 55 mph maximum speed limit on any vehicle towing anything; they tag at 60. The I-10 corridor from the AZ border to the Banning Pass has to be one of the fastest driven highways in the country and as such it is heavily patrolled. Lots of people get tagged on that highway but I would wager that when it comes to the over length thing, they only received that after receiving a speeding ticket.

California is stopping vehicles with Montana plates, and you will really get their attention if you have Montana plates and California plates on the toad. Also remember there are a number of roads in California where the length is limited, Highway 1 comes to mind, that will earn a citation. Prudent to review the laws on the DMV web site.

I can understand why they might question Calif plates on one vehicle and Montana on the other, but why would they stop someone just because they have Montana plates on both vehicles? Would that not be profiling? I am aware of the ramifications of being a resident of Calif and licensing out of Montana, but if both vehicles are licensed, then what would be their reason? I suppose you could argue that there is always something they can get you to stop for and of course then they automatically ask for Lic & registration.

Jon Wehrenberg
05-08-2009, 08:50 PM
The first time we became aware CA was targetting folks whose bus tags did not match the toad tags was in 1991. A Prevost owner registered his coach in NV at the time to avoid some CA sales tax. He told us this at a FMCA convention.

His driver license, residence, and toad were all bearing the same address. He was found guilty of tax evasion and had to pay the sales tax he avoided (actually evaded is the correct word) plus a fine or penalty of $75,000.

I have no clue if they are as agressive, but almost 18 years ago they were actually seeking folks who were doing that. If a Montana LLC owns the coach that is far different however than the person owning it as an individual and using a PO Box address in Montana. Look at the semis that have a license plate on the trailer that doesn't match the state painted on the side of the truck or trailer.

BUSTER
05-19-2009, 10:37 AM
Poggers,

I am about to change my tow from a 2003 Grand Cherokee to a 2009 Mini Cooper with manual transmission.

I am ASSUMING that with the manual shift I will have no issues and just tow with it in neutral and the key with the steering wheel free. Is this a valid assumption?

I am also going to Blue Ox on the Mini. If anyone needs a tow: 2003 Grand Cherokee with all the Trailmaster stuff already on and the All Terrain tow bar, you might want to call my cell...949-300-0077. This set up has the tow bar on the tow and not the Prevost. The price will be right. I am very flexible of the timing of the tow. I could bring to OKC with all the stuff and we could transfer there.

Thanks

05-19-2009, 12:52 PM
I would simply move to Florida, no one gives sh.. how fast you drive, how long you are or how many different plates are on the vehicles.

I am amazed at how CA has become a police state or you would think so by all of these posts.

I drive 75 on Florida Turnpikes all day long, state police pass me doing 85 and never blink an eye, could care less.

I could shine them a moon and I am not certain they would care, as they have real work to do that does not include shaking down good citizens when there are plenty of problems to solve.

CA has created more problems in recent years, next plan is to turn San Quentin into a Mall or something.

I used to love CA lived there visit there but would not want to be a citizen today based on what each of you CA folks say.

parksincpp
05-19-2009, 01:20 PM
Regarding your Mini.............

I own a Mini and have read that the on board computer will drain the battery if left parked for as short as three weeks such as at the airport. It wouldn't surprise me if leaving the key on just enough to loosen the steering wheel would do the same. Just a thought.

Cyndie

hhoppe
05-19-2009, 09:25 PM
California is a great state for weather, things to do and see. Come for a visit, bring money, obey the laws, enjoy yourselves and you will go home happy.
Try it you'll like it!

lewpopp
05-19-2009, 09:33 PM
Bruce,

Everyone on the Florida turnpike goes 10 mile over the limit without getting picked up. That adds up to 80 mph. Everyone must be passing you. That is everyone but me.

garyde
05-19-2009, 10:50 PM
California is a great State. it just has become way too dysfunctional. Too many people with too many special interests. Politically, its a dieing state.
Everyone I know wants to stop the clock and barricade the borders.
The solutions are elusive.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
05-19-2009, 11:07 PM
Mike I know of two people that tow their Mini-Coopers behind their coaches, and they say they have no problems towing them?

However, the Mini is not listed in the 2008 or 2009 FMCA Towables list.

I could not find the MiniCooper on the Blue Ox 2008 Towables list either.

Just food for thought, for what its worth. :)

Gary S.

05-20-2009, 07:56 AM
Bruce,

Everyone on the Florida turnpike goes 10 mile over the limit without getting picked up. That adds up to 80 mph. Everyone must be passing you. That is everyone but me.
I find that 75 feels just about right with the Toad onboard. The bus seems to get the best milage sounds good, and the speed does not exceed the Toad speed limits by more than 15%, so it is a good middle ground. I do however find myself going 80 when passing sometimes (especially on windy country roads, just kidding) to get out of long strings of tractor trailers, which I seem to attract like flies, all great guys, but I like to be able to see ahead further than the back of some ones rig.

Joe Cannarozzi
05-20-2009, 08:37 AM
Buster I am not sure but I think the mini is one of those vehicles that can be pulled with out mods if it has a manual trans but you do need to stop run it every few hours for a few minutes.

Rodger dodger will eventually get a break between his used car sales to read this and verify it.

Has anyone ever seen one of the new VW beetles being towed 4 wheels down?

Jon Wehrenberg
05-20-2009, 09:02 AM
There are two concerns about toads.

First, will towing four down hurt anything? In some vehicles the rotating parts are not sufficiently lubricated so towing without some provision to curculate fluids is a bad thing. The problem is we don't know which ones that are not listed in the FMCA magazine will get harmed. Some are not listed because the manufacturers just don't wan't the potential liability exposure.

Second concerns relate to "key on" battery drain. That's easily solved. Just add a battery disconnect, or a wire to maintain the battery charge. Either way the battery is not affected by towing.

I have travelled with Roger when he is towing the mini. Every few hours he stops and runs the engine to circulate fluids through the transmission. I have not known his mini to have a dead battery.

phorner
05-20-2009, 09:07 AM
Joe,

I have seen a newer VW bug towed 4-down here at the resort, but only one, and I don't know what they did by way of preparation. I believe it was an auto trans car.

I would think and older, manual trans, bug would be a great choice, but they are hard to come by in good condition.

Simple to maintain.... good fuel economy and certainly light weight.

Not to mention just plain fun to drive :)

Pete
05-20-2009, 09:51 AM
I towed a new style V/W for several years, it was a stick shift diesel. Then changed to a V/W Jetta for more room (4 door) and towed it for a couple of years. The Jetta was also a stick shift diesel. They both make great tow cars, never had a minutes trouble.

Steve Bennett
05-20-2009, 09:56 AM
Mike, we towed a Mini Cooper S manual transmission for 2+ years. We had no issues with the battery or transmission. It still is not a bad idea to run the engine every once in a while in neutral to keep the input shaft seal lubed. The other thing that is nice with the mini is the S model has run flat tires, so one less thing to worry about. I believe we used a Blue Ox base plate that did require some slight modification for the S model bumper fascia. Give me a call, and I can hook you up with the guys that rigged mine in Costa Mesa.

Coloradobus
05-20-2009, 10:03 AM
ROADMASTER MAKES BASEPLATES FOR MINI

http://www.roadmasterinc.com/vehicle_guide/index.php

rfoster
05-20-2009, 12:12 PM
I got an email from Buster and answered him back via email so I don't want anybody thinking I was ignoring him.

I got my first want to from Steve Bennett on towing the Mini while in Santa Fe and have been through 5 since both S and Coupe. Nothing newer than 06 models and as I told Buster I stop about every 200 or 300 miles and let it run for five minutes and take off again. The present Mini has been towed in excess of 20,000 miles with no problem. The base plates came from Blue Ox and require removing the front facia to install.

I do not know about the 09 models - no experience with towing anything newer than the 06. No battery drain problem. And as mentioned in my message to Buster, the best part is you don't even know the mini is in tow.

If anyone needs a mini I have one for sale. Set up with Blue ox base plates, silver with black roof 2003. 38000 miles 5 speed. Goes fast with or without the bus.

flyu2there
05-20-2009, 05:48 PM
Mike, we towed a Mini Cooper S manual transmission for 2+ years. We had no issues with the battery or transmission. It still is not a bad idea to run the engine every once in a while in neutral to keep the input shaft seal lubed. The other thing that is nice with the mini is the S model has run flat tires, so one less thing to worry about. I believe we used a Blue Ox base plate that did require some slight modification for the S model bumper fascia. Give me a call, and I can hook you up with the guys that rigged mine in Costa Mesa.

I have an 08 Mini S with a paddle shift automatic that I tow on a small dolly....yeah, I know dolly's suck, however the little ones are not bad. It keeps the nose of the Mini up and I have had no "blast" damage from the bus. Anyway, it has those run flats...and I respectfully disagree with Steve. Damn things are nearly 400 each; they just have stiffer sidewalls and if there is an issue with them, like they lose their pressure, you must replace the tire. Can't tell if you have a tire issue unless you have a camera pointed at the dash in the Mini that will illuminate a tire symbol if the pressure falls below (I love this one) a pre-determied value.

I hit a massive pot hole in California (Thanks Arnold) that dispatched both front tires......tire light went on. You are good for 50 miles only with the run flats before you begin running on the rims, or so the manufacturer claims (Dunlop).

Final analysis, Mini's are great, fun to drive, really fun, economical and light weight. They tow well and a dolly, a small one, is really not an issue, plus you can drive for a year without starting the engine..............on a dolly!

John

rfoster
05-20-2009, 08:42 PM
Forgot to mention that I have a dolly for sale too if anybody needs one - low miles.

lewpopp
05-20-2009, 09:45 PM
Paul, I have strong doubts that that VW bug was automatic. In all of my 30 years of motorhoming I got tired of the answer when I'd see if the VW was auto or stick. They were always stick. I'm positive that you cannot tow one that is automatic and to make towable cost too much.

mikedee
05-21-2009, 12:56 AM
I live in Modesto CA and have seen more CHP giving expensive tickets in the last 3 months than ever before. I use to tell people that you had to buy a speeding ticket in my area they just did not pass them out, can't use that sorry line anymore.

We have a Montana LLC bus and a CA Hummer and have been quizzed at the bug station on I-15 several times. Nothing has ever happened. My guess like the other posts "you need to give them a reason".

The roads suck, schools are third world, taxes would make the Mafia blush, crime is rising, unemployment is over 11%, tax base is dropping and I purchased a condo in Vegas. The state will be run by Washington before this time next year, Vegas Baby here we come.

Really hate to leave, California was the envy of the world for many years.

truk4u
05-21-2009, 09:32 AM
Mike - And then there's Nancy!:o

jello_jeep
05-24-2009, 11:06 AM
Mike - And then there's Nancy!:o

Thanks Truk, you had to go and bring her up... And I was having a peaceful Sunday.

In regards to tickets and the CHP at the moment, a trucker buddy of mine told me he was going through the scales around 1130 PM the other night. Apparently a whopping 500 lbs over on an axel so the waved him in for a full inspection.

He wasn't worried as he keeps his stuff ship shape. The officer asked for his log book, and queried him as to his activity the past seven days, and he told him he had been off work the last week, just coming back on, and it was his first run (all within CA)

He cited him for a log violation, as he should have had seven blank pages, reflecting he was off... Apparently this logbook violation is attached to your CA numbers for a few years and messes with your insurance etc.

My buddy said he thought it was chicken s**t, but technically correct, so he agreed.

The officer then told him he was going to cite him a second time for a logbook violation, as he didn't have a log sheet for the current day. Calculated because it was now 12:15 AM (because he had been delayed in the inspection for 45 minutes). His reply to this was, "you have got to be kidding me". Officer friendly asked him what day it was, and did he have a log sheet going, yes or no.

So he got a second ticket.

Now I have been on both sides of the ticket game and being as I wasn't present I would officially withhold comment... But if that is what happened, I would be the first to say that it is outside the spirit of the law, even if it is within the letter of the law. (Chicken S**t with cluster).

The CHP is largely funded via those revenues and registration in particular, so earlier comments by others linking the two could be correct.

There you have it... The rest of the story.....

Speaking of which RIP Paul Harvey, what a class act he was.. I miss listening to him, a common sense American!

I will shut up now.

dmark1
06-19-2009, 12:42 PM
My family is planning to drive to CA this summer and tour the state from south to north. Wondering if anyone here has tried going up HWY 1 - PCH - with a Prevost and a toad? :confused: (I tow a PT Cruiser behind her). Is there a limitation on doing this and if so what would be a good option going south to north so as to get by San Simeon for a tour?

As an aside, last year we took the bus on a 3700 mile western tour with a Mini Cooper in tow (manual trannie) and had no problems whatsover...

Any California peeps here that could give me a good route from LA to San Fran with this set up please let me know!

Thanks again

Mark

gmcbuffalo
06-19-2009, 01:30 PM
Mark
I went to Sam Simeon with my bus and at the time it was a 35 footer. I would say don't go pass San Simeon with you bus, I did and on many curves the center of the bus was crossing the center line even though my wheels were in the right lane. You will be going very slow and traffic will build up behind you and there is no where to pull over. At least that is how it was 8 years ago. After San Sineon turn south and take one of the bigger roads north. 101 north of SF is great tour, beside I-5 in CA is a poorly maintained HWY. Californian's jump in here if I am off base.
GregM

Jon Wehrenberg
06-19-2009, 01:56 PM
Many moons ago we went from San Francisco up through the Redwoods on 101. I have no knowledge of taking the Pacific Coast highway from SF up, but I can say 101 was a ride we enjoyed.

In parts traffic was slow on curvy roads through the Redwoods, but we were enjoying seeing things we New Yorkers (at the time) never see in our travels in the east.

Steve Bennett
06-19-2009, 01:57 PM
We have been up & down the full length of Hwy 1 in our 40' XL towing a Land Rover. It is possable, but there are some very tight spots particularly North of Fort Bragg. I would recommend against it, especially North bound as you are up against the rocks, and there are many blind turns where you will have to encroach into the other lane. If you really want to do it, I would recommend the section from Morro Bay up to San Francisco. It is not to bad, but you will need to take it easy. Hwy 101 gives you similar spectacular views up in Oregon, it is tight just North of Gold Beach but much wider than Hwy 1.

Steve Bennett
06-19-2009, 02:04 PM
A good alternative would be Hwy 1 from Morrow Bay North to San Simeon, than back track to Hwy 46 just South of Cambria. It is a beautiful drive East on 46 over to Hwy 101 North. If your bus is a 45' you are not to be on Hwy 1 North of San Simeon. There are some great campgrounds along Hwy 101, if you would like please give me a call, and I can tell you the places we have stayed along that route. (800) 460-7989

flyu2there
06-19-2009, 04:33 PM
We have been up & down the full length of Hwy 1 in our 40' XL towing a Land Rover. It is possable, but there are some very tight spots particularly North of Fort Bragg. I would recommend against it, especially North bound as you are up against the rocks, and there are many blind turns where you will have to encroach into the other lane. If you really want to do it, I would recommend the section from Morro Bay up to San Francisco. It is not to bad, but you will need to take it easy. Hwy 101 gives you similar spectacular views up in Oregon, it is tight just North of Gold Beach but much wider than Hwy 1.

Steve,

My experience is that the 1 North of Jenner thru Ft. Bragg is only for those with nerves of steel, even with a 40' coach............like North of Cambria, I do believe that 45's are not permitted although it is easy to get sucked in if one is not paying close attention. A whole new appreciation of hair pen curves is gained on this route, not to mention narrow two lane roads that are perched along cliffs sans guard rails, steep climbs and even steeper decents. The road gets better past Timber Cove however by that time ones nerves are already shattered! Its tough in a sports car, much tougher in a bus..........

Tailwinds,

John

GDeen
06-19-2009, 04:47 PM
We enjoyed a night stay in Big Sur this spring on a car trip. Could you get in there from the north with a bus reasonably? Any decent place to stay once there?

flyu2there
06-19-2009, 05:11 PM
We enjoyed a night stay in Big Sur this spring on a car trip. Could you get in there from the north with a bus reasonably? Any decent place to stay once there?

45, no, its on the no no list for that length. There is a decent place in Monterey, believe it is associated with a Motel, then drive in.....course there is always the Elks club as well.

John

Steve Bennett
06-19-2009, 05:52 PM
There are a couple of parks in Monterey, and one park where we have stayed in Carmel that can take 45' coaches. You can get to Big Sur from the North, (technicaly you are not to be on Hwy 1 with an over 40' coach) but there are not any campgrounds, and very limited parking for a large coach. The better option would be to stay in Carmel, and take the toad.

Petervs
06-19-2009, 06:48 PM
Well, we drove the length of Hwy 1 from Pismo Beach to Carmel in our 45 towing a car, nobody bothered us, and realistically, there were only about 5 hairpin turns that required me to use the opposite lane.

Better only do it when traffic is light. I think we saw maybe 15 oncoming cars in a 2 hour period. It was a weekday in February or March I think.

Sometimes you just have to do stuff to prove you can!

flyu2there
06-20-2009, 12:28 AM
Well, we drove the length of Hwy 1 from Pismo Beach to Carmel in our 45 towing a car, nobody bothered us, and realistically, there were only about 5 hairpin turns that required me to use the opposite lane.

Better only do it when traffic is light. I think we saw maybe 15 oncoming cars in a 2 hour period. It was a weekday in February or March I think.

Sometimes you just have to do stuff to prove you can!

Your very lucky that the Highway Patrol was not one of those 15 cars, not only is that road sporting, it is also quite illegal for a 45.......

John

Petervs
06-20-2009, 02:31 AM
I am pretty sure the sign said the road was not recommended for large vehicles, or some such wording. It was a yellow cautionary sign, and I did not take it as an absolute hard law. Is California going to give tickets to out of stater visitors and wreck the tourism business there? I doubt it. I think the Highway patrol has bigger fish to fry.

Now, had i made an accident, it might well be different.

flyu2there
06-20-2009, 06:47 AM
I am pretty sure the sign said the road was not recommended for large vehicles, or some such wording. It was a yellow cautionary sign, and I did not take it as an absolute hard law. Is California going to give tickets to out of stater visitors and wreck the tourism business there? I doubt it. I think the Highway patrol has bigger fish to fry.

Now, had i made an accident, it might well be different.

Peter,

The short answer to your question, YES, ABSOLUTELY or SI, if you prefer!

Here's Your Sign..........4939

You may find these two links helpful to your pocketbook next time you pass thru California.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/trucks/bus-mh/45-motorhomes.htm

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/trucks/bus-mh/45-bus-map.htm

Someone on another thread was mentioning Olema in the Redwoods, looks like that one too is not available for 45's.

John

Petervs
06-20-2009, 11:14 AM
OK so begins my life of crime then.

I also drove all over California before they passed all those laws in 2001 and 45 foot motorhomes were completely against the law back then.

I would drive the route again even knowing what you have told me here.

And I stand by my comment that the Highway patrol will not start killing the tourism business, and that they have better things to do. Plus, I bet most of them can't tell at a glance it the coach is 40 or 45 feet. They would have to have pulled you over for something else first.

flyu2there
06-20-2009, 01:36 PM
Peter,

Please do not take my remarks as a personal affront however, my advice is sage! First, the California Highway Patrol does not care how many times you will be stopping at Denny's, how much money you plan on spending at Disneyland or if you will ever have the opportunity to see the Redwoods; their mandate is to enforce the laws of the State, with particular emphasis on the vehicle code and motor vehicle safety. You mentioned that you only got into the opposite lane of traffic five times, that should have been your clue. Also remember that driving on these roads is considered a moving violation that can impact your insurance rates, drivers license renewal not to mention the fine itself, far greater than being stopped for overlength on I-10. Hope that it is a cruiser that stops you because California also has a large fleet of DOT Highway Patrolmen that motivate around in utility vans and trucks, equipped with all of the lights, sirens, and black and white paint....they can and will make your life miserable if prevoked.

I will close out on this one with a quote..

"Ignorantia juris non excusat or Ignorantia legis neminem excusat (Latin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin) for "ignorance (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignorance) of the law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law) does not excuse" or "ignorance (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignorance) of the law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law) excuses no one") is a legal principle holding that a person who is unaware of a law may not escape liability (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liability) for violating that law merely because he or she was unaware of its content."

hhoppe
06-20-2009, 04:05 PM
I'm amazed at the number of non California resident POG members spouting off on what's good or bad conduct to use when visiting our state. On the above question, it's one of safety first. You are not allowed to cross the double yellow line morraly or by law. Antics like that will get you and others killed. There are many roads in California that cannot be brought up to freeway status. The mountainous terrain dictates what degree these roads can be advanced to. Come here and enjoy yourselves. View the beauty, obey the law and we'll pay the taxes. We will do the same for you when we are guests of your states. Thanks for your considerations.

phorner
06-20-2009, 09:19 PM
Harry,

Well said. If I'm ever in the neighborhood, you can bet I'll be paying close attention to the local regs.

Once upon a time, in a career far, far away, I was the traffic engineer for our city, and was a member of our State Safety Council.

Traffic warning signs are there for a purpose...... 'cause without them somebody's butt is probably on the line. It usually pays to pay attention to them. :eek:

And, technically (and legally), there's a difference between a warning sign and a regulatory sign..... but that's another story for another time.

Personally, I find it's much easier to stay out of trouble than to get out of trouble. :)

Sid Tuls
06-20-2009, 09:56 PM
Just for what it's worth make sure plates on your tow car are the same as are on the bus. (Same State) They are still looking for the Montana LLC deal. They have people in RV parks looking for them and then turn ya in to the CHP:mad:

Neal&Carla
06-20-2009, 11:28 PM
We just returned from the Napa Valley and Monterey/Carmel. We stayed at the Monterey County Fair. It is basically a parking lot but is a very clean, shaded, safe atmosphere. The gates were locked after 6 with a gate code. You are near an airport so did hear planes periodically from 6am-10pm. Easy access to Carmel, Pebble Beach and the attractions in Monterey. Stokes Restaurant in Monterey was outstanding!

In Napa we stayed at the Napa County Expo Center. It was a quiet, nice area with paved sites and grass patios. It looked like the best of the sites we saw in the Napa/Sonoma area. The Napa Wine Train was a fun excursion with great food. We traveled from Napa south to Monterey on parts of 101 as well as 15 miles on Highway 1. We did not have any problems on our trip.

We did keep the speed under 60 as it is posted 55 for towing. We followed the recommendations in the Rand McNally Motor Carriers Atlas.

To all you Californians--we loved your state! The drive was beautiful!

Carla and Neal

garyde
06-21-2009, 12:26 AM
I probably spent half my early 20's traveling Hwy 1 back and forth to Big Sur from Santa Barbara. Great beautiful sceneary , one of a kind , cold cold rivers, and amazing sunrises and sunsets over the mountains and oceans. A different world.
The flip side of all of that is some terrible car accidents, road closures due to landslides and construction, and lots of CHP. \
One last side note, there is camping but not for large RV's and very few places to pull off and fewer areas to turn around.
From the Monterey side, you can travel probably to Big Sur with fairly good roads but from Big Sur to say San Simeon it is trouble.

GDeen
06-21-2009, 09:57 AM
Our youngest son just finished his fresh year at Cal Poly SLO so we have toured the area in a car. Spectacular scenery for sure. Can't wait to take the bus out there.

First time we drove 1 from Morro to Carmel, it was a complete whiteout fog bank on the ocean side of the road and clear blue skies on the east side. Unreal - never saw much of anything.

06-21-2009, 10:22 AM
We lived in SLO for a few years, had two large projects, one in LA and the other in SF. decided to live half way between, really enjoyed SLO great spot, close to the water, the hills, walking the beach in Morro Bay, quiet and very easy to slip into SLO time. Thursday evenings is the street festival, lots of fun, ribs are the best. We will be staying here this trip, will be looking for a place to hang out for a week or two. Carmel the same, we really enjoy the atmosphere, walking the beach etc. Carmel had one of the best Japanese restaurants we have ever eaton at.

Ray Davis
06-22-2009, 11:45 AM
John, thanks for those links. Interesting reading. I've had a friend who has denied that you need a CA Class B license to drive a 45 foot motorhome. Your links spell it out very clearly. (that's for CA residents)

Ray

GDeen
06-22-2009, 02:04 PM
We lived in SLO for a few years, had two large projects, one in LA and the other in SF. decided to live half way between, really enjoyed SLO great spot, close to the water, the hills, walking the beach in Morro Bay, quiet and very easy to slip into SLO time. Thursday evenings is the street festival, lots of fun, ribs are the best. We will be staying here this trip, will be looking for a place to hang out for a week or two. Carmel the same, we really enjoy the atmosphere, walking the beach etc. Carmel had one of the best Japanese restaurants we have ever eaton at.

SLO is a great place! We really like that area a lot. Great town to walk everywhere, access to the coast, great weather... this past March we climbed up the famous peak on the west side of town and had a great view.

flyu2there
06-22-2009, 05:01 PM
As long as folks are talking about San Luis Obispo thought that I would mention that 12 miles South on the 101 is Pismo Beach which is probably the best place to stay while in the area. I would probably advise Pismo Coast Village which is quite nice although during the high season (now) they tend to be a bit proud of the place. Morro Bay, to the West of SLO, is charming but tends to be cold and foggy and the RV facilities are well populated with x school busses, macrame curtains, unkept beards and people smoking funny smelling cigarettes...not that any of that is all bad :D

Eateries...... First of all, this area is famous for clams...don't bother, they were fished out years ago and everything either comes in frozen from Washington State or in cans from Taiwan. Try McLintocks in AG (Arroyo Grande), full menu, there are other McLintoks are very good but they are on the tourista route and not only offer higher prices but poorer menus and service...you will not be disappointed. Then there is Jocko's Steak House in Nipomo, about 10 miles South of PB....if your into huge steaks with baked potatoes slathered up with all of the fixins, this is your place. PB is loaded with restaurants as well, Moe's Barbacue is one of my personal favorites and an easy walk from Pismo Coast. Breakfast, hands down either Margies (just off the 101) on the road to Morro Bay) or the Spirit of San Luis at, yes believe it, the SLO airport.

Must See....Sunset from the second floor bar at the Sea Venture Resort in PB. Don't be surprised in here, I have run into Ernest Borgnine, Jethro Bodine (Max Baer), Sally Field and several others...popular spot and a great Tapa Grill. Bubblegum wall in SLO, kind of disgusting but worth the look. The Morros, volcanic cones believe there are five in toto, the largest being in Morro Bay. Avila Beach, half way between PB and SLO with a cutsie little overpriced "public" campground...however the views are to die for! Avoid the temptation to eat at the restaurant on the pier, rather try Fat Cats just prior.

No, I don't work for the chamber of commerce and I apoligize if this was too verbose however I do speak from experience as I have lived the last 11 years in the area. My past life included growing grapes in Napa Valley and I can proffer advice on that one as well but that will be b request only.

John

JIM CHALOUPKA
06-22-2009, 08:22 PM
John, please tell us about growing grapes in the Napa Valley;)

:) JIM

garyde
06-22-2009, 10:39 PM
Hi John. I spent one summer at Cal Poly in SLO in '69. and I enjoyed the small town feeling. My daughter recently spent several years at Cal Poly as well and came away with a great appreciation for Country Music.
There is also the Madonna Inn in SLO which is kind of unique and famous as a stop off for lunch or dinner. Very different.

GDeen
06-22-2009, 10:53 PM
As long as folks are talking about San Luis Obispo thought that I would mention that 12 miles South on the 101 is Pismo Beach which is probably the best place to stay while in the area. I would probably advise Pismo Coast Village which is quite nice although during the high season (now) they tend to be a bit proud of the place. Morro Bay, to the West of SLO, is charming but tends to be cold and foggy and the RV facilities are well populated with x school busses, macrame curtains, unkept beards and people smoking funny smelling cigarettes...not that any of that is all bad :D

Eateries...... First of all, this area is famous for clams...don't bother, they were fished out years ago and everything either comes in frozen from Washington State or in cans from Taiwan. Try McLintocks in AG (Arroyo Grande), full menu, there are other McLintoks are very good but they are on the tourista route and not only offer higher prices but poorer menus and service...you will not be disappointed. Then there is Jocko's Steak House in Nipomo, about 10 miles South of PB....if your into huge steaks with baked potatoes slathered up with all of the fixins, this is your place. PB is loaded with restaurants as well, Moe's Barbacue is one of my personal favorites and an easy walk from Pismo Coast. Breakfast, hands down either Margies (just off the 101) on the road to Morro Bay) or the Spirit of San Luis at, yes believe it, the SLO airport.

Must See....Sunset from the second floor bar at the Sea Venture Resort in PB. Don't be surprised in here, I have run into Ernest Borgnine, Jethro Bodine (Max Baer), Sally Field and several others...popular spot and a great Tapa Grill. Bubblegum wall in SLO, kind of disgusting but worth the look. The Morros, volcanic cones believe there are five in toto, the largest being in Morro Bay. Avila Beach, half way between PB and SLO with a cutsie little overpriced "public" campground...however the views are to die for! Avoid the temptation to eat at the restaurant on the pier, rather try Fat Cats just prior.

No, I don't work for the chamber of commerce and I apoligize if this was too verbose however I do speak from experience as I have lived the last 11 years in the area. My past life included growing grapes in Napa Valley and I can proffer advice on that one as well but that will be b request only.

John

Have eaten at McClintocks and Moe's in PB. Big Sky in SLO is very good for a "California" lunch and Taco Temple in Morro Bay is my favorite so far in the area. Mexican / seafood fusion with huge portions. Building is some type of old fast food joint in a parking lot, but not to be missed.

Will check out the park you are talking about in PB John - thanks for the reference.