PDA

View Full Version : Santa Barbara Wildfires

Loc
05-06-2009, 07:49 AM
Gary,

I saw on the news this morning about the wildfires close to Santa Barbara. Are you guys okay? They said they were about 1 mile from the fires last year. We will say a prayer.

Loc

flyu2there
05-06-2009, 09:07 PM
Just came thru Santa Babara today...it's ablaze and the wind appears to be not helping. I certainly hope Gary is O.K. looks to me that they (the fire's ) are well South of him.

Off shore winds, perhaps steady 30 with gust to 60 knots..not good. The borate aircraft we holding overhead due to the turbulence, I presume.

I am 30 miles North and everything is fine up North...today..............

John

garyde
05-06-2009, 10:30 PM
This Fire, the 3rd this year, is about a mile south/east from me. This morning, it was calm , and everyone was hopeful. At 3:30 PM the winds came up and a Firestorm consumed about 30 to 50 homes in about 2 hours. There is no prediction when they will get it under control. About 100 additional fire engines and 400 men are coming in from all over California. The fear is the winds will push the fire further into dense neighborhoods lower in Santa Barbara. My home is in the clear as the wind is pushing the other way from me. Lets see, a recession, swine flu, 3 major fires this year, is someone trying to tell me something?

sawdust_128
05-06-2009, 10:38 PM
Gary:

Here in NC yesterday:

Lets see, a recession, swine flu, 6 tornadoes in or around Raleigh yesterday, tornadoe warnings tonight, more tornadoes tomorrow is someone trying to tell me something?

Yep!!! Bus TRIP!!!

You and yours are in my thoughts and prayers. Be safe.

ON EDIT-----------------------------

I saw the reports on the news this morning and said a prayer for you, your family and community. If you think I can help at all, let me know. I will certainly give it the old college try.

Loc
05-07-2009, 06:26 AM
Good luck Gary.

garyde
05-08-2009, 02:28 AM
:(We got kicked out tonight, a mandatory evacuation. Lets hope the homestead is there in the morning. The smoke was so thick , I coudn't see my neighbors house across the street. Ash falling like snow flakes. The sound of planes and helicopters overhead, wop wop wop!

sawdust_128
05-08-2009, 11:29 AM
We're hoping for the best for you and yours.

GDeen
05-08-2009, 12:09 PM
:(We got kicked out tonight, a mandatory evacuation. Lets hope the homestead is there in the morning. The smoke was so thick , I coudn't see my neighbors house across the street. Ash falling like snow flakes. The sound of planes and helicopters overhead, wop wop wop!
:eek:

Gary, best of luck - hope you come out ok.

jello_jeep
05-09-2009, 09:34 AM
Gary, hows the situation now?

We have fingers, toes, and other things crossed for you guys!

garyde
05-09-2009, 09:02 PM
Hello everyone. Thank you to everyone who called and have been concerned.
We dodged another one. Some neighbors were not as lucky. My neighborhood is under mandatory evacuation but I'm here. No problems since Friday, but I have a good view of all the fires. Its an amazing site. Some flames over 150 feet in height!The fires have moved up into rugged canyon and mountain terrain away from the town. Its only 30 percent contained.
Lots of Helicopters, fixed wing bombers, and a DC 10 jet.
Hopefully they will open our area back up tomorrow.:D

truk4u
05-10-2009, 08:26 AM
Great news Gary, we were all worried about you and the family...;)

chtree
05-10-2009, 08:42 AM
Gary,

Glad to hear everyone is safe! Does the state ever cut the underbrush anymore as preventative maintenance for fires?I know in Fla they sometimes do that in certain areas.

sawdust_128
05-10-2009, 12:56 PM
Thank goodness.

garyde
05-11-2009, 11:36 PM
Gary,

Glad to hear everyone is safe! Does the state ever cut the underbrush anymore as preventative maintenance for fires?I know in Fla they sometimes do that in certain areas.

Well, we live in the foothills. Los Padres Natl. Forest is at our back. Unfortunately, there is no easy way to cut or burn the Mountains, Canyons, Creeks, and so on. The County does require owners keep brush and such 50 to 100 feet away from structures. But the burning Ash is what causes most of the fires on houses.

Sid Tuls
05-11-2009, 11:40 PM
Hi Gary, glad to hear that you &family are safe!! Look forward to eating some more beef ribs in OK POG :D