PDA

View Full Version : Never thought I would wear a dress!

ken&ellen
05-04-2009, 03:34 PM
Come to Savannah and enjoy the show.

dalej
05-04-2009, 03:39 PM
Ken,

Come on, you have to tell more then that! What's going on?

ken&ellen
05-04-2009, 04:20 PM
I joined the Savannah Pipe & Drum and in the picture Ellen & I are about to participate in the second largest St. Patricks parade in the country. Okay we already did it,but in the picture we were getting ready. I have played the drums for over 50 years and they needed drummers. Ellen is the photog & banner carrier. Scottish games this weekend.

rmboies
05-04-2009, 07:32 PM
Very Cool Ken and Ellen! We have missed hearing from you two! I see the Semper Fi guys are in the background so you had good company. So, tell us, what is really under those kilts???

Debi and Bob-00 when you knew him--LOL

Will Garner
05-04-2009, 07:43 PM
Ken,

The uniform of the band behind you looks like it is the Virginia Tech Marching Band, The "Highty Tighties", don't ask me where that came from but that is the name they are known by. There previously was a marching band competition in the U S Presidential Inaugural Parades. VT won so many times they quit having the competition. If those uniforms are the band from VT then you got to see some very precise drill formations as part of the parade.

lewpopp
05-04-2009, 09:30 PM
JDUB wanted me to ask this cuz he's too shy.

What does a Scotsman wear under his Kilt?

jonnie
05-04-2009, 10:15 PM
Will,

I believe you are looking at the uniforms of the United States Marine Corps Drum and Bugle Corps. I doubt if the drilling will be more precise.

John

ken&ellen
05-05-2009, 07:23 AM
The men behind me are the real Marines. Although their duty station is to be a member of that band, they are, according to the Sgt.Major, combat ready.
Most of the members have been to Iraq & Afghanistan to perform for the troops. It was an honor to meet and talk to these young people serving so proudly as Marines do. Ken & Ellen

MangoMike
05-05-2009, 08:22 AM
Ken,

Glad to hear from you.

Good to see you're not dead.

Keep in touch. We miss you.

Mango

michaeldterry
05-05-2009, 09:14 AM
Will,

I believe you are looking at the uniforms of the United States Marine Corps Drum and Bugle Corps. I doubt if the drilling will be more precise.

John

John - not the USMC Drum & Bugle Corps (the uniform color, the Sousaphones, the trombone, and the upright baritone horn give it away). The "Commandant's Own" Marine Drum & Bugle Corps march all bell front valved brass instruments including over the shoulder contrabass horns (not wrap-around Sousaphones). This picture shows one of the traditional Marine bands.

For reference, here is a picture of the real USMC Drum & Bugle Corps at one of their more than 300 annual appearances.

http://drumcorps.mbw.usmc.mil/images/20080308/IMG_0209.jpg

jonnie
05-05-2009, 01:09 PM
Michael,

Thanks for the update and clarification. Obviously you know your Sousaphones. These are Marines who happen to be excellent musicians. There concerts are excellent and highly recommended.

michaeldterry
05-05-2009, 01:59 PM
Michael,

Thanks for the update and clarification. Obviously you know your Sousaphones. These are Marines who happen to be excellent musicians. There concerts are excellent and highly recommended.

John - you're right about the excellence of the Marine musicians, regardless of which musical unit they belong to! Having been involved in the drum and bugle corps activity for almost 40 years, I'm probably a little 'anal' about the differences between a drum corps and a band. Many people don't know the difference (nor do they care). It doesn't matter to anyone, except us old drum corps guys! :rolleyes:

BUSTER
05-05-2009, 06:37 PM
If they have Red jackets...they are professional musicians who are in the Marines from DC...Blue jackets are professional marines who play an instrument and are from different duty stations.....to the best of my recollection from my tour in the Marines

michaeldterry
05-05-2009, 09:17 PM
If they have Red jackets...they are professional musicians who are in the Marines from DC...Blue jackets are professional marines who play an instrument and are from different duty stations.....to the best of my recollection from my tour in the Marines

I can't answer to the jacket color specifically, but can confirm that the members of the USMC Drum & Bugle Corps are professional musicians and professional marines, whose duty station is the Marine Barracks, at 8th and I in Washington D.C. Every member is a graduate of Marine Corps recruit training and is trained in basic infantry skills. Prior to enlisting, each Marine must pass a demanding audition for service in the Drum and Bugle Corps. These Marines are selected so that following Recruit Training and Marine Combat Training, they proceed directly to "The Commandant's Own" without requiring further training.

The Drum and Bugle Corps travels more than 50,000 miles annually, performing in excess of 400 events across the nation and abroad. Throughout the summer months the unit performs in Sunset Parades at the U.S. Marine Corps War Memorial (Iwo Jima Monument) near Arlington, Virginia, every Tuesday evening. These "Parades" are not street parades but are dramatic military ceremonies which are a symbol of the professionalism, discipline, and Esprit de Corps of the United States Marines. If you are ever in WDC on a summer Tuesday evening, do yourself a favor and attend the Sunset Parade. It is an unforgettable experience that will leave you in awe of the beauty and precision on display during this emotional ceremony.

lewpopp
05-05-2009, 09:26 PM
Mike,

Is this a statement to say that the soldier in the U S Army is not a professional?

rmboies
05-06-2009, 09:46 AM
John - you're right about the excellence of the Marine musicians, regardless of which musical unit they belong to! Having been involved in the drum and bugle corps activity for almost 40 years, I'm probably a little 'anal' about the differences between a drum corps and a band. Many people don't know the difference (nor do they care). It doesn't matter to anyone, except us old drum corps guys! :rolleyes:

Michael, reading about this brought tears to my eyes. My father was in the Marine Corps Band, not the drum and bugle corp, around 1948 or so. My brother has all the pics and will ask him to send me a couple. Dad was always so proud to be a member of this distinquished group and the auditions and training were not a cake walk from what I understand. Baritone and Trombone were the instruments he played. I wasn't born until after he was out of the Marine Corps so never had the chance to watch him perform. In later years he was in the Shriners marching band and I did get to see him in that. He died at the young age of 52 but not without leaving alot of lasting memories for all of us!

Debi

michaeldterry
05-06-2009, 12:01 PM
Mike,

Is this a statement to say that the soldier in the U S Army is not a professional?

Lew - absolutely not! In my eyes, every single man and woman who served, or is serving, in any branch of the United States military is a professional of the highest caliber! I owe my freedom to every soldier, sailor, airman, or marine tasked with protecting and defending it and I thank God for them every day!

michaeldterry
05-06-2009, 02:39 PM
Michael, reading about this brought tears to my eyes. My father was in the Marine Corps Band, not the drum and bugle corp, around 1948 or so. My brother has all the pics and will ask him to send me a couple. Dad was always so proud to be a member of this distinquished group and the auditions and training were not a cake walk from what I understand. Baritone and Trombone were the instruments he played. I wasn't born until after he was out of the Marine Corps so never had the chance to watch him perform. In later years he was in the Shriners marching band and I did get to see him in that. He died at the young age of 52 but not without leaving alot of lasting memories for all of us!

Debi

Debi - how very proud you must be of your father - and rightly so! It's true that Marine Corps musicians go through the exact same training for battleground readiness as any other Marine. In addition, they must pass an audition and selection process that insures that only the very best Marine musicians earn acceptance.