PDA

View Full Version : Solution #SD001

dalej
05-02-2009, 08:13 PM
I was always tired of my steer door hitting me while working in this area. Either it was blowing shut, or the wind would blow it open when I just wanted to close it temporarily without using a screwdriver.

The old system used 2 inch wide by 10 inch long nylon webbing to keep the door from opening to far. I took that off and installed a 1 1/2 inch by 10 inch stroke pneumatic cylinder to push the door open and keep it there. When the door is about 4 inches from closing it pulls itself closed.

It takes very little air pressure.

phorner
05-02-2009, 08:16 PM
Looks great Dale!

You gonna be installing these in OKC??? :D

Jon Wehrenberg
05-02-2009, 08:17 PM
Great idea.

Be very careful you do not let it close and then forget to use the cam locks to secure it.

dalej
05-02-2009, 08:24 PM
Jon,

Well, if I left my fuel cap off and my fuel door open last time out, you expect me to remember to always secure this door? :)

Maybe you didn't read that post.

JIM CHALOUPKA
05-02-2009, 08:43 PM
That's a beautiful thing, Dale!!

Where do you have the open, close switch/valve?

JIM

Loc
05-02-2009, 09:17 PM
Dale,

That is way nice. It would be nice to have that on the engine doors as well. Did you put a regulator in place to limit the air pressure?

Loc

rfoster
05-02-2009, 09:54 PM
Dale: That is a great idea. looks professional. Did Jan do that?

A gas filled prop like the bay doors would probably work too?? Downsized somewhat??

Good Job. ----and in addition Larry W needs to see your tailpipe. Can you post another photo of it?

dalej
05-02-2009, 09:58 PM
Jim,

There is constant pressure in the cylinder, so I don't use a switch. Just open the door like before.

Loc,

I used two old gas struts from the bay doors on the engine doors, they work great. I posted that a year or so ago.

Roger,

No! She was making onesies with our daughter.