PDA

View Full Version : Campground Needed

CAPT MOGUL & Sandy
05-02-2009, 06:33 PM
We are headed to the Outer Banks of N.Carolina this week to see my daughter flying in from Hawaii & our son-in-law who is home for a 2 week R&R from Iraq.They will be staying in a town called Corolla,NC in a Beautiful home. Does anyone know of a site that is close by there? We will be towing and can use the toad, but don't want to be too far from the family. Any suggestions from someone that knows the area?
Sandy

Jon Wehrenberg
05-02-2009, 07:34 PM
Can't help you on the capground Sandy but be sure to thank that son-in-law for what he is doing for us.

Ray Davis
05-02-2009, 08:11 PM
Not sure if this helps as I'm not familiar at all with the area. Seems to be two campgrounds in Kitty Hawk, which I believe is listed as "Outer Banks".

One was reviewed in rvparkreviews.com, the other is a KOA, but had no review. Worth checking, I guess.

http://www.capehatteraskoa.com/where/nc/33166/facilities/

and http://kittyhawkrv.com/default.aspx

Ray

phorner
05-02-2009, 08:11 PM
A few years ago, we stayed at a campground in Coinjock, NC, which is north of Kill Devil Hills. The road in/out isn't real wide, but I managed without any white knuckles. Virtually no traffic. We were there for the opening of the Wright Bros. museum.

The campground was OK.... no great shakes but there are sites that will accomodate a bus.

The real plus was the great restaurant at the marina in Coinjock....:D

Ray Davis
05-02-2009, 08:23 PM
One last thing, here's what appears to be a very nice one ...

http://www.northrivercampground.com/

although it's only 60 miles away, it seems that it's quite a long drive in that area, well in excess of one hour. There actually in an ODR just over the border in VA, however again, travel is really a bear to get to Corolla. Although it's probably on 30 air miles, it's like a 3 hour drive!

Good luck.

Ray

CAPT MOGUL & Sandy
05-02-2009, 10:06 PM
Here I go again with this post. If it shows up twice.... I don't know what happen to my reply.

Thank you all for this info. I will check out a few of the sites mentioned tomorrow and let all know what we find.
Sandy

ken&ellen
05-04-2009, 01:10 PM
Great spot and perfect for the Prevost; however it is South of the area your family will be staying by about 45 mins to an hour depending on traffic.

Ken & Ellen

Will Garner
05-04-2009, 01:53 PM
Hey Sawdust, didn't you winter over on the Carolina Coast? How about chippig in with campground advice. I've been past the one at Nags Head, nearer to Duck. From the web aerials it does not look to be "bus friendly."

sawdust_128
05-04-2009, 04:15 PM
Hey Sawdust, didn't you winter over on the Carolina Coast? How about chippig in with campground advice. I've been past the one at Nags Head, nearer to Duck. From the web aerials it does not look to be "bus friendly."

I'm right here Will!!

That's a nice area you all are heading up to. However, it is pretty well developed. Most of the RV camping is south of Manteo (hwy 64) on the banks, between Manteo and Hatteras Island. Ferry across to Ocracoke and you have some real nice boondocking sites.

There is a place up in Corolla named either "Jim and Kay's" or "Joe and Kay's". I contacted them back in early Jan. They do a first come, first serve annual rental thing. However, being that this is still pre-season, you might want to give them a call. (I'll try to find a contact number for you, but someone in Corolla may know a little more about it.

When I was up at Corolla Light, Duck, etc. in Feb., I remarked that there was no camping to be had.

When I was there, I did some checking with some of the charters in the area. If you are there and they aren't busy, many will provide you some hookup capacity at the docks.
------------

Here it is. It's Joe and Kay's and I believe that they are the closest thing. I can't rate as I never used them.

Joe & Kay's Campground
1193 Colington Road
Kill Devil Hills, NC 27948 (Map) (http://www.ncbeaches.com/OuterBanks/KillDevilHills/VacationRentalsAndLodging/CampingRvParks/JoeKaysCampground/#)
252-441-5468

Joe and Kay's Campground is located on Colington Road. Reservations are not accepted; sites are secured on a first come basis. They offer seventy full hook up sites rented on a yearly basis. There are an additional fifteen tent sites available from April through November.

-----------------------------------

One other little tidbit. Although there aren't many left up in the area your headed to, there are a few older independent beach hotels. Many of those had a few RV sites on their grounds for beachcombers and fishermen.

CAPT MOGUL & Sandy
05-04-2009, 09:47 PM
:) Thank you all again for all the input. I have tried(By e-mail) to contact KittyHawk RV park and no response from them in 3 days now. I will call them tomorrow!! The Joe & Kay Camp ariel view doesn't look too bad. Will call them tomorrow, also. Have to find out if they rent by the day. I see that Sawdust said they rent on an annual basis:confused:
We have had to be in Detroit longer than expected(and wanted to)! We are leaving on Wed from here come whatever.Of course I will be driving the Toad and towing a 1925 Model T on a trailer. Ed gets to ride and drive the Bus.:cool: I will drive anything just to get out of here!! You can have Detroit:(
Thank you Jon for your kind remarks regarding our troops. I truly will tell my son-in-law what you told me to tell him. He certainly will appreciate it.
Will give a complete report on the Northern area campgrounds in the Outer Banks when we get home.
Sandy

truk4u
05-05-2009, 09:08 AM
Sandy,

Come through Atlanta and drop off the Model T, I'll keep it for you!:p

CAPT MOGUL & Sandy
05-05-2009, 11:10 AM
:oI just learned this morning that I must have been in LA-LA Land the other day. Ed said this am that HE is towing the Model T behind the Bus. I am going to be solo in the Toyota.TRUK, I will tell him that you want him to bring this Model T to your house!!! We already have a 1913 Model T that is just sitting in our garage in Key West. It was restored completely, AGAIN, after Hurricane Wilma decided to put a little water under our house. Just having another Model T around is not good:confused: No, he is going to have the 1925 restored and sell it. Anyone interested with alot of cash???? I guess this is enough on this thread. Someone is going to kick me out being "Off the Subject of Campgrounds":)
Sandy