PDA

View Full Version : The 2.8 Metre Bridge

Just Plain Jeff
07-29-2006, 07:45 AM
Hitman Frank and I decided the loop over the Great Lakes was the best return from OSH.

What we didn't know was that there was a 2.8 'metre' wide bridge in Sherbrooke, Quebec. The load limit signs were obscured and we didn't have the metric conversion tables at hand.

With Hitman at the wheel, we opted for the straight approach to the bridge, about 60 feet long, and Hitman cleared the first steel bridge support by a solid 3/8th of an inch. The bridge crew came out to watch, with the supervisior wildly waving his arms at us. Not speaking French, we didn't try to engage in dialogue.

Behind us was a semi-tractor, waiting to see what we were going to do.

As we cleared the final strut, with a strong 1/4 inch clearance at the mirror, Hitman got us on solid ground, only to hear a very loud CRACKING sound at the bridge with many people running around and the semi-tractor halted at the bridge approach.

Hitman said, "My hands are clammy." I began to breathe and we laughed, figuring that if they covered the load limit sign and it wasn't in English anyway, the got what they got.

Anyway, no damage to the bus and we are in another country now.

Nice save, Hitman!

lewpopp
07-29-2006, 09:02 PM
JPJ....This site is a contest of acronams, abreviations, and othe strange thingies.

The common man would like to interpret what you mean, i.e., with out receiving psychiatric lessons.

Are all of supposed to know who Hitman Frank is. Wouldn't it be nice to be clued in on another of your follies and know just who you are talking about.

Go ahead, my shorts are not in a twist.

MangoMike
07-30-2006, 03:28 AM
Lew,

If you've been keeping up w/ your post reading you would know that Hitman Frank was the fourth dude from the left.

MM

http://mangomike.smugmug.com/photos/83561497-M.jpg

lewpopp
07-30-2006, 09:23 PM
Thanks Mango. He's one of the guys who couldn't afford a better shirt.