PDA

View Full Version : Oval Exhaust Tips for Gen. & Webasto

LarryB
05-01-2009, 10:03 PM
I give up ! Its Official the search mode and I can't work together.

Awhile back someone posted a pix of the Tips on their Gen. and Webasto.
I can't find it. Would someone plz post the pix and source for the tips.

Thanks much.

JIM CHALOUPKA
05-01-2009, 10:42 PM
Larry, I couldn't find the post either, but here is a site with several nice tips to chose from.
Hope it is what you want.

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/category_10001_10002_10255_-1_10245

JIM

LarryB
05-01-2009, 10:53 PM
Thanks Jim, I'll explore the site.

rfoster
05-01-2009, 11:05 PM
Is this the photo you are looking for?
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g31/parkwayautoofbristol/CIMG0774.jpg

JIM CHALOUPKA
05-02-2009, 12:02 AM
Larry, you don't have to buy oval tips to have them look that way.

If you cut a round pipe at an angle the opening will be oval.

You could find the correct dia. round tips and mount them and then with an abrasive cutoff wheel on a right angled grinder carefully cut them off at your desired angle and perfectly inline. Smooth up the rough edges and your done!

Harbor Freight Tool has cheap grinders.
Use a face shield and be careful.

JIM

LarryB
05-02-2009, 01:02 AM
That is the pix. Where did you get the tips?

LarryB
05-02-2009, 01:03 AM
Jim, thanks but I think the ones in the pix are flat oval----at least to my eye.

Jon Wehrenberg
05-02-2009, 06:52 AM
I have elliptical tips on my Webasto and generator that I got at the local muffler shop. I needed them because the lower profile from round keeps them from being flattened as I transition to go up my driveway.

LarryB
05-02-2009, 10:11 AM
Jon, I like the look of Rodger's, are yours like his, and are they weld on or clamp on? My muffler shop is not to helpful so I'm having to do the leg work myself.

Jon Wehrenberg
05-02-2009, 10:26 AM
Mine are clamped on, and are true ellipses as compared to a flattened configuration with rounded ends.

They do not look like Jim's (Roger's) because those are not tips per se, but round tubes cut at an angle to give the oval appearance.

Mine have the edge rounded as opposed to a raw edge of stainless with a radius of the rounded end about 1/8". I not only changed tips, I re-routed both exhausts to get them out the side instead of the back where they were getting beat up by my upsloping driveway.

Jon Wehrenberg
05-02-2009, 10:57 AM
This is a reasonably accurate picture of the tips on my bus. I paid about $30 for them and they are stainless steel

http://www.stylintrucks.com/parts.aspx?category%7ccat_-28%7c162=Exhaust+Tips&partfamilyid=5460

LarryB
05-02-2009, 12:50 PM
Thanks Jon. My two pipes are routed just fwd of the eng. exhaust out the left side. I just need to 'pretty' them up some. How is that for sentence structure?
Someone was going to jump on it if I didn't point it out myself. <G>

Jon Wehrenberg
05-02-2009, 01:28 PM
Lew is the only one here that criticizes our use of the language. This criticism coming from a guy that spells Lou all wrong.

I wouldn't worry too much. After he complains he usually goes right back to sleep.

LarryB
05-02-2009, 02:48 PM
Incase Lew spots my posting and decides to grade it, I should also correct my location of pipes. They are aft of the eng. exhaust not fwd. Now I fel beter.

Jon Wehrenberg
05-02-2009, 03:09 PM
Boy is he going to get you. You failed to use spel chek.

rfoster
05-02-2009, 06:11 PM
Larry:

The correct terminology for upgrading appearance is "to add bling" or, "bling up"

lewpopp
05-02-2009, 09:37 PM
what....what was that?.... I was sleepin an I heard my name being used incorrectly. Now, come on guys, lets make sure you spend "Lewbucks" instead of "Loubucks". Just ain't the same.

You mean that even though I am on a trails end trip I still have to watch youse guys. Jeeese. Using the name lou in the place of Lew is just like using Crapper in place of Jon. I'd better be nice to Jon, I may need him to put my wheelchair over the pit.

LarryB
05-03-2009, 01:42 AM
Rodger, I stand corrected!

Thanks

JIM CHALOUPKA
04-23-2010, 03:18 PM
After having one for a long time, I was amazed to discover that mine was gone.

If you'd be so kind as to show me yours, I would have a better idea as to what I need.:o

If anyone found it they sure got a nice one as I used to polish it often, not as often as I used to though, that's why I didn't miss it until now:eek:

So please go out and take a picture of yours so I can better reconstruct my loss.

This is what I have now, see you might not even know what I am talking about without studying the photo.

JIM:D

Jon Wehrenberg
04-23-2010, 05:22 PM
Jim,

Tomorrow I have some time to photo mine from various angles so you can get a new one fabricated. I have often looked at mine and how close it comes to hitting the ground as I come out of the hill on the driveway and transition to the level of the road. I have tried to determine if I had to remake it how to make the transition from the flat oval to the round of the muffler. If there is some quantity involved to justify the time I could have the folks in the shop use the CAD/CAM and programming to define the shapes and sheet metal sizes and then it is just a matter of TIG welding the exhaust tip together and polishing it. As an alternative its shape can also be a rectangle at the outlet which would greatly simplify the fabrication of the exposed part.

Before the overhang on the 45 foot coaches came to be the 40 foot coaches just used a round pipe, polished where it was exposed and that would work as long as you were aware of steep transitions in the road that would damage the pipe. As an alternative you could go into a 90 degree going forward, then a second 90 just behind your Webasto / Generator exhausts leading into a polished exposed tip which would be far enough forward to minimize damage.

Kevin Erion
04-23-2010, 07:28 PM
I removed mine, made a round pipe that comes out under the bus at a 45 to the rear corner. I no longer get any....any black soot on the rear and side door for the radiator. I also have no black soot on the radiator fan, and the best thing is that it will never drag on the ground. The negative is the dust if you drive on dirt roads, I do my best to avoid those!
The only other negative is one less part to polish!

JIM CHALOUPKA
04-23-2010, 08:02 PM
Jim,

Tomorrow I have some time to photo mine from various angles so you can get a new one fabricated. I have often looked at mine and how close it comes to hitting the ground as I come out of the hill on the driveway and transition to the level of the road. I have tried to determine if I had to remake it how to make the transition from the flat oval to the round of the muffler. If there is some quantity involved to justify the time I could have the folks in the shop use the CAD/CAM and programming to define the shapes and sheet metal sizes and then it is just a matter of TIG welding the exhaust tip together and polishing it. As an alternative its shape can also be a rectangle at the outlet which would greatly simplify the fabrication of the exposed part.

Before the overhang on the 45 foot coaches came to be the 40 foot coaches just used a round pipe, polished where it was exposed and that would work as long as you were aware of steep transitions in the road that would damage the pipe. As an alternative you could go into a 90 degree going forward, then a second 90 just behind your Webasto / Generator exhausts leading into a polished exposed tip which would be far enough forward to minimize damage.

Yes I would like to see what I no longer have.:(

Kevin I would like to see yours too:D

I would like straight out the back, but worry about sooting the Toad, what does anyone think?

You can see what I have left! What do you think of notching the rocker panel and exiting with a 5" round pipe.

JIM

Jon Wehrenberg
04-23-2010, 08:08 PM
Jim I'll get the photos tomorrow.

I would open up a trimmed hole 1" larger in diameter than the pipe and extend a stainless exhaust tip through that in a heartbeat if space permits. I think the toad would have the soot stains you see on trailers if you came straight out the rear. I think Kevin's 45 degree direction would be a better compromise.

HarborBus
04-23-2010, 08:21 PM
Jim, Here is what mine look like, I'm not real happy with their looks, I would like them to look a little more uniform. I don't have a problem with them exiting out the back, but I'll tackle that as soon as I get all the other stuff done.

JIM CHALOUPKA
04-23-2010, 08:47 PM
Thanks for jumping right on that Elliott, I am looking for the 5" series 60 exhaust and the way it exits the bus.

JIM

HarborBus
04-23-2010, 09:05 PM
I don't know where my head is today............if anyone finds it let me know:D

Here is our exhaust, typical Marathon.

Jon Wehrenberg
04-24-2010, 12:56 PM
Jim,

This is what I presume your exhaust tip looked like. No way to make exhaust exit from the rocker panel.

Other converters may have had a different approach to going from the 5" diameter to an oval.

JIM CHALOUPKA
04-24-2010, 03:45 PM
Thanks Jon, that gives me something to go by, oh by the way did you see those two wrenches in your first photo, were they missing or what:confused:

It seems your muffler is angled down at the rear, whereas mine is level and higher up.

I think my tip let go because of the weld between the steel pipe and the SS tip not banging and dragging, looks kinda rusty and week there.

I will get a price from Stainless Works an exhaust specialty house near here, first chance I get.

I will make the piece from muffler to the end SS.

http://www.stainlessworks.net/cart/index.php

JIM

Pete
04-24-2010, 05:06 PM
Kevin, what are the chances of you posting pics of your round exhaust tip? I like the way it sounds, especially since I equipped my shop with am exhaust ( hose to fit a round tip) to the exterior so I could allow the engine to run while inside the shop. Then.......I bought a coach with a series 60 engine that has an oblong exhaust tip, so I have an exhaust hose setup that I can't use. I know it is a pain to post a pic, but if you could, I would really appreciate it. Thanks

Kevin Erion
04-24-2010, 06:57 PM
Pete, I have to be honest, I can't post pictures! I took a few this morning and sent them to Ray Davis. I guess he isn't on his computer but I am sure he will post them when he gets some time. I am very happy with the way the pipe turned out and works. I would guess I have 6000 miles of road testing, all is good!

truk4u
04-24-2010, 08:01 PM
Jimmy C,

I think the wrenches are on a board behind the bus on the wall. We just had dinner with Jon & Di and if I would have seen the post, I could have worked him over for you.:p

Jon Wehrenberg
04-24-2010, 08:55 PM
What a friend. Give a guy any opening and he dives right in.

The wrenches are part of a set of tools that are hanging on the wall directly behind the bus. They go from 1/4" up to 2 1/2". Good eye.

Pete
04-25-2010, 10:04 AM
Thanks Kevin, hopefully Ray can find time to post the pics. Look forward to seeing them, sounds like a solution to my situation.

Ray Davis
04-26-2010, 12:16 PM
Sorry guys, I was offline all weekend. Here's the pictures from Kevin ...

Kevin Erion
04-26-2010, 12:36 PM
Thanks Ray!

Pete
04-26-2010, 07:20 PM
Thanks Ray and Kevin for the pics....now to find someone to make one for me. Since it does not show, I guess it does not have to be stainless.

Orren Zook
04-26-2010, 09:24 PM
Thanks Ray and Kevin for the pics....now to find someone to make one for me. Since it does not show, I guess it does not have to be stainless.

Pete, if that's how you are going just buy a 5" 45 degree elbow, a 5" exhaust tip and 2 stainless band clamps - with aluminized pipes you should be able to buy the parts for under $60.

Pete
04-26-2010, 10:42 PM
Orren, thanks, as soon as I slow down a bit I may give it a try.

JIM CHALOUPKA
05-28-2010, 05:18 PM
1) Purchase two bent sections of 5in dia 304 SS.

2) Cut to desired length.

3) Tape into position for welding.

4) Weld.669366946692

JIM CHALOUPKA
05-29-2010, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the idea Kevin!

Pete
05-29-2010, 10:43 PM
Nice job Jim. Need to have one made for mine. Just can't find the time.

Kevin Erion
05-30-2010, 09:18 AM
Looks good Jim, fun project with rewarding results.

Jon Wehrenberg
05-30-2010, 12:05 PM
Kevin, do you think he should have polished it? I vote yes.

Kevin Erion
05-30-2010, 03:32 PM
Jon, do you need to ask?

Jon Wehrenberg
05-30-2010, 04:12 PM
If we can be expected to polish our slack adjusters I see no reason why he should not polish his exhaust tip.

truk4u
05-30-2010, 04:57 PM
Nice job Jim, did you send the King an invoice for the Warranty?

JIM CHALOUPKA
05-31-2010, 10:40 AM
That turned out to be a do it your self job. No one around town had 5'SS for sale, so I found a place on the internet that sold various degree bends and shapes and I cut them in the appropriate places for welding. Had it heliarc welded and popped it on the bus. The 5" SS muffler clamp was from the old J C Whitney Co :eek: You can't see it so it does not get polished until everything else is done.

Not having bought the bus from the King he is out from under all warranties.

JIM;)

truk4u
05-31-2010, 06:33 PM
It doesn't matter, the King warranty is good for the current owner through 2011!