PDA

View Full Version : Ignition issue

Darrell and Linda
04-30-2009, 11:20 PM
Turned the ignition key today and the girl wouldn't start. All dash / panel lights came on, but nothing. Went to the rear and manually started her. With the manual switched back to normal, I turned off the ignition switch and shut down normally.
I had the wife turn the ignition on and the solenoid in the rear, above the stater batteries, could feel the solenoid activate. I cleaned all connections and I couldn't find and no change occurred....... suggestions anyone. Is there a relay or something I'm missing.

garyde
05-01-2009, 12:16 AM
Hi Darrell. I know Jon know this by heart but there should be a relay in the back box above the engine. If you could here the solonoid, I don't think it's the relay however.

Danss
05-01-2009, 06:21 AM
The switch that you turn engine on and off in rear went bad on mine. Would not start from front. Check it out. Dan

JIM CHALOUPKA
05-01-2009, 07:31 AM
Darrell, when you started the bus from the rear could you engage the transmission and drive the bus?

JIM

Jon Wehrenberg
05-01-2009, 07:39 AM
Darrell,

Follow the electricity. You have ruled out the starter solenoid, so using an ohmeter or continuity tester check the relays relating to the starting circuit in the electric box.

Also, as Dan says check the rear start selector switch. It may be passing current when in the rear start position, but not in the front start position. The key switch is another set of contacts to check.

You can access the electric diagrams for your specific model year chassis on the Prevost Car site. If you follow the starting circuit by working backwards from the starter solenoid you will find somewhere along the way you either have a switch with bad contacts not passing current, or a solenoid or relay either not functioning or with bad contacts. With the wiring diagram or the listing on the labels that tell the funtion of relays you can focus on just the components in the starter circuit. I cannot remember if you have a relay or solenoid in the front electrical compartment.

JIM CHALOUPKA
05-01-2009, 07:58 AM
Darrell, at a ralley in Branson Rick May was asked to move a coach that the camp ground could not, (owner sick and not there, bus would not start)
After ten minutes of head scratching and probing it was determined that the bus had a secret kill switch.

Your bus is new to you, is it possible the last owner didn't tell you anything, I mean everything:D

On my bus if the batteries are disconnected the alarm is activated when they are reconnected (I think)

JIM

Darrell and Linda
05-01-2009, 09:45 AM
Thanks guys,
Jon, I'll go on line and pull a wiring diagram and see if there is a relay at the rear and or in the front electrical panel. But I'll check the rear starter switch first. Keep you guys posted.

Jim, I'll start the coach from the rear and then turn on the ignition switch on the dash. I can drive the coach and all accessories work.