PDA

View Full Version : Enclosed Storage Ideas?

GDeen
04-30-2009, 07:02 PM
I see many of you store in hangars and others in purpose built barns. I have an email out to the person who runs a small airport about 30 minutes away enquiring about empty hangar space. Have also checked with most of the storage facilities in my area, but none of them have big enough space.

Any other suggestions on the best way to find storage for one of these things or places to look?

Kenneth Brewer
04-30-2009, 07:55 PM
I see many of you store in hangars and others in purpose built barns. I have an email out to the person who runs a small airport about 30 minutes away enquiring about empty hangar space. Have also checked with most of the storage facilities in my area, but none of them have big enough space.

Any other suggestions on the best way to find storage for one of these things or places to look?

Suggest you look around in your area a bit more closely, and particularly along the major highways outside of town, where access roads parallel to the highways are. In the San Antonio area there are quite a few storage facilities that cater almost exclusively to motorhomes, trailers, and larger boats. There are a number of such places that offer 12X45' and 14X50' enclosed storage areas WITH a 10 or 15 amp 120vac inside outlet, with an overhead light as well, for anywhere from $180-250 a month, month to month.

I have met some of my 'neighbors' over the months, who own from pop-up tent campers and smaller boats up to Prevosts. Can't imagine Austin doesn't have these facilities around as well. I found ours by driving around and spotting outside storage areas next to enclosed storage areas. Stop in a storage facility that has the smaller spaces and ask where the big storage area businesses are. They should be forthcoming with the information if they know, because they are not competing.

Good luck.

Ray Davis
04-30-2009, 08:24 PM
I'll bet you that Marathon Dallas would have some suggestions?

Ray

tdelorme
04-30-2009, 08:57 PM
Gordon, if you are unable to find a facility with enclosed storage, this outfit seems to have carport type RV storage. At least you would be getting her out of the sun.
http://www.michenerselfstorage.com/Auto_Storage.html

gmcbuffalo
04-30-2009, 09:01 PM
I have to use a RV cover, PITA, but it keeps the pollen and fir needles off of it.
GregM

GDeen
04-30-2009, 10:01 PM
Good suggestions all - thanks.

Ken, I have done exacty what you have suggested on both accounts. We live out in the Lake Travis area and there are lots of out buildings in the lake area. I have spent some time driving around checking them out. Also know a guy personally in the storage business and he gave me some leads which I have chased down to no avail. I am also trying to stay on my side of town for convenience.

One storage lot about 10 miles out hwy 71 from the house has carport storage which would work temporarily, and the guy has offered to build me an enclosed building to spec for lease. He is quoting $300/mo which doesn't sound too bad particularly given the convenience. He also gave me leads on a couple of empty warehouses in the area I will check into.

Electricity requirements - excellent point - what type of power service do I need just to keep the batteries tended and the coach at reasonable temperature? 1 A/C on?

Ray Davis
04-30-2009, 10:24 PM
standard 15A service will handle keeping your batteries charged, and allow you to keep the fridge running.

If you're planning on keeping an A/C on, I would go with a minimum 30A service. If you are having service installed, pay for the 50A, it's worth it.

Ray

Alan__
04-30-2009, 10:46 PM
Gordon -

I have mine stored at Lake Travis Boat and RV on 71. Had it built to spec with 50 amp service. Great manager, lives on-site and his upper deck on his house is 100 yards from my bus barn.

GDeen
04-30-2009, 11:07 PM
Gordon -

I have mine stored at Lake Travis Boat and RV on 71. Had it built to spec with 50 amp service. Great manager, lives on-site and his upper deck on his house is 100 yards from my bus barn.

Hey Alan - some local help! Will check it out, thanks.

Ray, do you guys leave A/C on or not worry about it getting too hot?

Alan__
04-30-2009, 11:10 PM
Gordon -

Would you turn the A/C off in your house in Texas? Don't think so. Same for heat when it turns winter.

GDeen
04-30-2009, 11:46 PM
Gordon -

Would you turn the A/C off in your house in Texas? Don't think so. Same for heat when it turns winter.

Obviously a stupid question - thanks.

Jon Wehrenberg
05-01-2009, 07:18 AM
Gordon,

There is no substitute for having an enclosed storage building with 50 amp power. You can get by with less, but to fully protect your investment and to enable you to operate all systems as needed you need more than a 15 or 20 amp 120 Volt receptacle.

First, almost all our buses (with the possible exception of Thompson Coaches) will trip a 15 or 20 amp GFCI circuit. Depending on weather conditions you may wish to run your AC or heaters in addition to maintaining the batteries.

Additionally make life easy for yourself. Have plenty of power and space around the coach so you can comfortably move around it, get in the bays, load it, air up the tires, wash or wax it, etc.

GDeen
05-01-2009, 11:54 AM
Gordon,

There is no substitute for having an enclosed storage building with 50 amp power. You can get by with less, but to fully protect your investment and to enable you to operate all systems as needed you need more than a 15 or 20 amp 120 Volt receptacle.

First, almost all our buses (with the possible exception of Thompson Coaches) will trip a 15 or 20 amp GFCI circuit. Depending on weather conditions you may wish to run your AC or heaters in addition to maintaining the batteries.

Additionally make life easy for yourself. Have plenty of power and space around the coach so you can comfortably move around it, get in the bays, load it, air up the tires, wash or wax it, etc.

Checking out some of those guys working on their planes in the hangar space last week at the airport really brought that home Jon. One of the guys was building a kit plane made of composites - pressurized and 300knts:eek: Main point is they had lots of room and everything they needed right at hand. Brent Warrington (Meandmypre) has a really nice warehouse for his bus which provides all of what you are talking about.

If nothing shakes out this weekend, I think I will begin negotiating with the fellow who has offered to build me one. Should be able to get exactly what I want. Thanks.

Jon Wehrenberg
05-01-2009, 12:15 PM
If there is any way possible try to house your coach next to your house.

Ours is 50 feet away from the house and there is no way to express how valuable that is. I am in the bus garage daily. Anytime my wife or I want something from the bus, or want to do some work on the bus or even load for a trip it is a few steps away.

We can check on power, make sure it is safe and secure, or just go out and fondle it. If it was further away losing the ability to insure everything is OK would drive us nuts.

Roger has the best deal of all. It is in his basement.

Joe Cannarozzi
05-01-2009, 12:23 PM
I park outside and that includes Chicago winters. We have an older bus than most and I can appreciate the reluctance of others wanting to do that.

With that said if I had a spot to park inside but not at home instead of outside like we have now I choose outside at home. Don't even have to think twice.

It would take 2 or 3 times longer to get anything done.

GDeen
05-01-2009, 12:25 PM
No can do unfortunately because we live behind a security gate with a tight radius decorative fountain in front. I won't even be able to get the coach through that to my house. Probably could make it with some serious pruning of trees and shrubs, but the neighbors aren't likely to go for that just so I can bring a bus onto the street. Good news is there is an excellent area to park just outside the gate adjacent to a friends property for loading and unloading.

Ray Davis
05-01-2009, 02:18 PM
Gordon,

To answer your question I do not normally keep the A/C on, although I do have 50A power, should I want/need to.

It's generally very cool in the hangar, and I haven't had a problem. I'm sure there are other areas that would be a concern.

I did store for several months out at Lake Havasu AZ, but it was in the cooler months. Unfortunately, they only had 15A circuit, so I could only keep my fridge going there.

Ray

Gary & Peggy Stevens
05-01-2009, 03:32 PM
My only thought about leaving an A/C on during the hotter months in Texas, is the water or condensation that will pool beneath the bus in your nice new barn. And believe me there will be large puddles after a weeks stay on the floor of your barn under the bus, and when it starts running to the adjacent barns your neighbors may not like that? :confused: :o

I have not left the A/C's on during the first year in our storage barn, because of that. I had them install 50 amp service, just so I would have the proper power and everything has worked out great, other than my slide problems, but that is in another thread. :D

Gordon you will need at least a 14' x 14' x 50' accessible barn, so if he is willing to build that, tell him you will come ( I mean rent it from him) !

Gary S.

Jerry Winchester
05-01-2009, 10:40 PM
I was able to come up with several options around the airport before I was able to get all my crap in one place.

I would look over at the old Robert Mueller airport in Austin since they can't keep planes there anymore. Seems like a perfect place for a bus. You can also fit a bus into the corner of a big hanger in a place where you can't get a plane. It makes an otherwise unsable space rentable. Unless you are up against a helicopter. I shared a space with one for a couple of months. You just have to be ultra careful with a giant hulking vehicle in such close space with a bunch of easy to dent, expensive airplanes.

GDeen
05-01-2009, 11:20 PM
I will check out Mueller - some kind of planned community development going on over there so I don't know about status of old hangars. Main issue is it is across town from me, but worth checking into.

Hoped to find something at the Spicewood airpark about 20 miles west of the house. Talked to the lady this morning who runs the show out there and she said not only no, but ...no. Too many planes to put up and not enough space.

She did get off on a tangent about boys and their toys and how I am not the first to ask. Suggested a purpose built toy storage facility for cigarette boats, motor coaches, girlfriends, etc. with a men only clubhouse to hang out in while out checking on "your toys." Not that I could find anything wrong with her logic....

JIM KELLER
05-02-2009, 08:38 AM
My only thought about leaving an A/C on during the hotter months in Texas, is the water or condensation that will pool beneath the bus in your nice new barn. And believe me there will be large puddles after a weeks stay on the floor of your barn under the bus, and when it starts running to the adjacent barns your neighbors may not like that? :confused: :o

I have not left the A/C's on during the first year in our storage barn, because of that. I had them install 50 amp service, just so I would have the proper power and everything has worked out great, other than my slide problems, but that is in another thread. :D

Gordon you will need at least a 14' x 14' x 50' accessible barn, so if he is willing to build that, tell him you will come ( I mean rent it from him) !

Gary S.

Gary, Idea for you. In my Bus Garage I placed three round water heater pans under the Bus where the condensation drips. I then plumbed them together with pvc and ran one pipe through the wall. The pans are low enough to stay in place while I drive over them [ had to trim the center mud flap just a little.] Allows the air conditioners to cycle as needed.

Jon Wehrenberg
05-02-2009, 08:54 AM
If anyone is worried about AC condensate, the drains on my bus could easily have a length of hose or tubing attached that could run to a floor drain. I'm not sure letting condensate pool on the floor is a concern anyway.

I wash my bus inside the garage. The floor gets wet. It evaporates.

When I run the AC the floor gets wet. As it spreads it evaporates. It is not like I have created a running stream of water.

Apart from an easy way to access the bottom of the coach I found the pit has a huge secondary benefit. My garage temperature never gets below 45, and I only saw that temperature when it was near zero outside several mornings in a row. In the summer when it is blazing hot out, in the mid nineties during the day, my garage is still in the seventies inside.

I think the favorable temperatures are due to the pit and the temperature of the earth being in the fifites. The pit seems to moderate the garage temperatures making heat and AC in the coach required only for those times when we want more comfortable temps to do a project inside the coach.

GDeen
05-02-2009, 06:29 PM
Spent most of the day searching through ads and the afternoon driving around and looking at warehouses and storage. Couple of prospects that are leased right now.

Happened upon this deal through a broker who I called on another space that wouldn't work for a bus. Said he had a client with a big building that may be interested.

14' doors, plenty wide, concrete floors, 70' deep. Only about 15 min from the house on country roads rather than across town. The guy hasn't started to market it yet as he has used it for personal stuff. Biggest drawback is the caliche drive which is about 1/4 mile long. Quoted me a decent price for year lease.

Will pave it at some point but not in the near future. 50 amp not a problem, no water. What about the caliche drive???

Edited to add - pass by a RV park with dump station on the way there so it would be very convenient to clean out tanks before storage.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
05-02-2009, 06:45 PM
Gordon, I think you may have found your parking spot? Sounds like it will be big enough with extra space front and rear for usable storage.

I just wish your drive access was solid concrete. I am not familiar with the type of road way leading up to the storage, and in the wet weather would it be a nightmare for a 50,000 # bus?

Maybe if the owner put it into the contract that he would resurface the approaching road if you agreed to a longer term contract your problem would be solved?

14' wide or high doors ? The reason I ask, our barn had 16' high ceilings but the door casing when up, was only 13', something, and I had to lower the suspension to get into the barn, till recently.

Aint it fun, and you haven't even found the right bus yet, have you?

Gary S.

JIM CHALOUPKA
05-02-2009, 07:03 PM
Looks and sounds good Gordon. I think the drive will be fine if it was put in right. Your problem might be, what is going to go on in the adjacent spaces and who the other folks in the building might be. Is the bldg. all open inside or is it partitioned off?

Good luck, JIM

GDeen
05-02-2009, 09:25 PM
Gary - 14' high. Definitely has the clearance and space issue covered.

Jim - it is currently non-partitioned but he agreed to box off a side for me with the lease. Would also like to get him to run water to the building which it doesn't have. It is supposed to rain pretty hard here tonight and tomorrow so I will go check it out tomorrow to see how the road is holding up. Owner is also a contractor so he can ensure it stays in good shape.

Up close picture with Blackberry which isn't the greatest quality but you get the idea.

Ray Davis
05-02-2009, 10:33 PM
Shoot, I would LOVE to have a place like that. I think you've got a home .....

GDeen
05-02-2009, 10:52 PM
Shoot, I would LOVE to have a place like that. I think you've got a home .....

I agree Ray - if it passes the rain test then I am pretty stoked about it.

Now I just need something to put in there!:D

Will Garner
05-03-2009, 08:29 AM
Gordon,

Just my 2 cents for what they may be worth today. I'd be inclined to take Door #2, the one on the right side of the barn, if you have a choice. I see a slope rolling off to the left side of Door #1. It looks almost as if it starts within the door opening which may not be good for things under the bus. I'd also envision how you are going to get the bus back out of the barn, and turned around, not just look at how you will drive it in. The in part is easy, well in this case it will be. Other than that it does look like a very suitable building for storing a bus.

Happy Bus Hunting season is now open!