PDA

View Full Version : Nicest campground poll

hillndale
04-29-2009, 11:20 PM
Hello everyone,
We're new to POG (and also to Prevost) and wanted to introduce ourselves. We're in the process of buying an XL2 conversion and look forward to talking with some fellow Prevost enthusiasts.

Anyway, we're planning on taking our boys on a trip when we get delivery in a few weeks. I'm wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the best places they've stayed. This is not our first coach but alot of the time we've spent boondocking out west in the wilderness and therefore we don't know alot of nice camp resorts. the dry camping in the great outdoors is nice but looking to find a new place where the kids can enjoy more organized activities for a change of pace. Thanks in advance.
Robert

PS: Are there some resorts where the Prevost doesn't stand out so much? One Jellystone Park we stayed at not too long ago had lots of fellow campers gathering around a sole Prevost conversion and it almost seemed a little awkward for the owners.

rahangman
04-29-2009, 11:33 PM
Get use to the Prevost way of life. My wife and I are newbies to all of this, and just a few months after getting it (our first) we went to Eureka Springs, AR with an FMCA group had a terrific time. Pulled into our spot and while hooking up a group gathered around and I was quite proud of myself. A 1990 XL looked pretty good here, but then in the next 1/2 hr 3 more Prevosts pulled in and hooked up. All 3 were EXTREMELY gorgeous and when sitting next to mine, sort of made mine a bit diminutive, but , we were in the greatest of company. We still are not used to people gushing about our owning a "Prevost" but, well, if you got one, enjoy it.

dalej
04-30-2009, 05:23 AM
Robert,

Were you talking about the Jellystone park in Nashville? We have stayed there before.

That shiny stainless just has a way of attracting attention, you won't be able to get around it. Try to stay humble through it or else a Prevost Service center will humble you. :)

There are a lot of very nice parks out there. I'm not the kind of traveler that lets the rv parks dictate which direction we travel. Jan and I enjoy traveling to places of interest and then finding a park close by. We have traveled by bus for 10+ year and found you can't always have the kind of park you really love.

My perception is that there are a lot of RV parks built for rv's and not for bus's. There are new parks coming on the scene that are catering to the 45-45 foot crowd.

If you find a good campground in your travels, you could post it for us.

Jon Wehrenberg
04-30-2009, 06:35 AM
We have always liked The Great Outdoors (TGO) in Titusville, FL.

If we had to pick only one as a favorite that would be the one, however there are a lot of nice ones where a Prevost is common.

Jamie Bradford
04-30-2009, 08:47 AM
It would really be good if we had a map ( like Dale's member map) that we could post to & update( pictures comments prices etc etc). I try to use Big Rigs & some other sources but they put some real DUDS in there also.

I don't know if this is something Jim could add to the site or how we would go about doing this.

Any thoughts??????????????????:rolleyes:

Jamie

hillndale
04-30-2009, 09:14 AM
Thanks for all the info everyone. We also hate to have our trips dictated by campground locations but in this case it probably makes sense b/c we're just looking for a nice place to take the kids.
Anyway, it would be great if everyone could post their favorites on here and then we could all refer to this from time to time when we're looking for a nice place. Alot of people we talk to say this is their biggest challenge is finding the right campgrounds.
Thanks again!

hillndale
04-30-2009, 09:22 AM
Robert,

Were you talking about the Jellystone park in Nashville? We have stayed there before.

That shiny stainless just has a way of attracting attention, you won't be able to get around it. Try to stay humble through it or else a Prevost Service center will humble you. :)

There are a lot of very nice parks out there. I'm not the kind of traveler that lets the rv parks dictate which direction we travel. Jan and I enjoy traveling to places of interest and then finding a park close by. We have traveled by bus for 10+ year and found you can't always have the kind of park you really love.

My perception is that there are a lot of RV parks built for rv's and not for bus's. There are new parks coming on the scene that are catering to the 45-45 foot crowd.

If you find a good campground in your travels, you could post it for us.

It was actually in Sturbridge, MA. That shiny bus stood out like an alien mothership. The campground had lots of year rounders living in some older trailers and at one point it looked like the poor guy wasn't going to make it out of there.:eek:

Other than that, it was a nice campground and we didn't have any complaints. Just thought to myself, don't think the DW would appreciate all that "attention". So then i thought it would be nice to find Prevost friendly camps ahead of time. Hopefully this thread will generate lots of responses for everyone's reference.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
04-30-2009, 10:20 AM
Hillndale, when you own a Prevost bus you will always get looks from people of awe, respect, lust and then some with disgust. The people that only dream and wish they could own what you own may have a little disdain for your accomplishment, but they are very few. :p

Enjoy your accomplishments and travel in the finest vehicle money can buy and maintain.

Now for the campgrounds, one of our bibles to find the proper place is The Big Rigs Directory, http://www.big-rigs-rv.com/. Ken and Ellen have been to each and every one of the campgrounds in their directory, and they also own and drive a bus. The parking and ability to maneuver in campgrounds is generally our biggest challenge, but with this directory it makes it much easier.

There are lots of campground directories out there, but I don't think any of them are as specific for our size buss's, except The Big Rig Directory.

Check it out and good luck in your travels. Keep a Shiny Bus, they will really stare. :D

Gary S.

tdelorme
04-30-2009, 10:59 AM
Gary, we also use the Big-Rigs book and I know that at some point in years past the authors visited each campground. However, several of the campgrounds listed in the directory (ones where we have stopped,) have taken a down turn over the years and should be removed from the listings. The one in Corpus Christy, TX. is half campground half junk yard. There is one up around Memphis that is not much better. I emailed about the condition of these campgrounds several years ago but they are still listed.
The idea of having our own list of both campgrounds and overnight stopping spots is the way to go.

Jerry Winchester
04-30-2009, 03:15 PM
Just about any of the Outdoor Resorts properties are the best ones we have ever stayed in. I liked the Buckhorn at Kerrville and several regional places, but ODR is about the best.

phorner
04-30-2009, 04:51 PM
Buckhorn Lake in Kerrville, Texas and Sante Fe Skies in New Mexico are two of our favorites, but I've never seen any that I liked better than our very own Outdoor Resorts here in St. Lucie West, Florida.

Most any of the current Outdoor Resorts are a safe bet, but there are some older campgrounds that are still using the Outdoor Resorts logo (they were originally created by ODR but have since been fully converted to private ownership and management) that can be a challenge to negotiate with a bus as they were designed and built with much smaller RV's in mind at the time.

We also rely on the Big Rigs, Best Bets publication and it has been a very valuable and reliable resource.

hillndale
04-30-2009, 10:55 PM
Gary, we also use the Big-Rigs book and I know that at some point in years past the authors visited each campground. However, several of the campgrounds listed in the directory (ones where we have stopped,) have taken a down turn over the years and should be removed from the listings. The one in Corpus Christy, TX. is half campground half junk yard. There is one up around Memphis that is not much better. I emailed about the condition of these campgrounds several years ago but they are still listed.
The idea of having our own list of both campgrounds and overnight stopping spots is the way to go.

We've used Big-Rigs Best Bets with our last coach and they were 3 of 5 for us. Two were kind of run down so it seems that some of the info in their could probably use some updating. Maybe time for BigRigs 10th edition?

We've never actually stayed at an Outdoor Resorts property but will definitely give them a try in the future given the good comments everyone seems to have about them.

garyde
05-01-2009, 12:06 AM
Its always interesting finding nice RV Parks. sometimes you are pleasantly surprised when you roll into one without any pre knowledge. But that can be a good thing. Part of the lifestyle is to get out there and explore.

Ray Davis
05-01-2009, 01:53 PM
Found one like that in Amarillo at the recommendation of someone here. Right on the main drag off of I40, on the far west side, is a place I think is called the Oasis. Really nice, and as I remember only about $33 per night! Nice big all paved parking.

Take the free limo to the Texas Steakhouse.

Ray

Gary & Peggy Stevens
05-01-2009, 03:36 PM

Ted I know what you are saying, the campgrounds can and sometimes do go down hill, after someone visits and gives it high marks. That is very depressing to say the least, but I guess it is the nature of things today. But you are correct !

I wonder what Ken's policy is about removing previous campgrounds, from his book?

Gary S.

jelmore
05-01-2009, 04:56 PM
I wonder if they'll put their book online, by subscription. Save some trees, slash their costs and easy to search. Comments by those that visit would be really helpful.

michaeldterry
05-01-2009, 05:26 PM
I wonder if they'll put their book online, by subscription. Save some trees, slash their costs and easy to search. Comments by those that visit would be really helpful.

Excellent idea!

Gary & Peggy Stevens
05-01-2009, 06:07 PM

The Big Rigs Directory is not on Line Exactly, however, you can get either the spiral bound book, or the CD version or both.

The CD Version is great, because when you find a place you want to check out, you can click the link in their CD version, and it takes you to the campgrounds own website.

Very nice.

Gary S.

Ray Davis
05-01-2009, 08:36 PM
A great resource is www.rvparkreviews.com. This is an online resource where WE get to review parks we have visited and make comments. I use it quite often when trying to find a park in an area that I'm not familiar with.

There are reviews on probably most parks around country, and although not specific to motorhomes or Big Rigs in particular, the advice contained there can at least tell me when to avoid a park.

I use it all the time, along with Big Rigs, but unfortunately, Big Rigs hasn't visited everywhere.

Ray

Jamie Bradford
05-01-2009, 11:56 PM
That is a pretty good site Ray.

GDeen
05-02-2009, 12:16 PM
A great resource is www.rvparkreviews.com. This is an online resource where WE get to review parks we have visited and make comments. I use it quite often when trying to find a park in an area that I'm not familiar with.

There are reviews on probably most parks around country, and although not specific to motorhomes or Big Rigs in particular, the advice contained there can at least tell me when to avoid a park.

I use it all the time, along with Big Rigs, but unfortunately, Big Rigs hasn't visited everywhere.

Ray

Ray, I found that site when we went on our "rented Monaco tour of the great holes in the earth of the desert SW" a couple of years ago. It was very informative particularly for a newbie.

Ray Davis
05-02-2009, 05:51 PM
Another one that may come in handy some time is

http://www.rvdumps.com/dumpstations/

which lists RV dump sites across US and Canada.

It also lists rest areas, I think. I've not used it a lot, but there was one time when I had boondocked for 5 days, and was a little worried about finding a dump station.

Ray

hillndale
05-04-2009, 09:30 PM

That would be a GREAT idea. Especially to have comments from those that have stayed at them.

sawdust_128
05-04-2009, 11:11 PM
Here's another pretty good link. Over 6400 camping facilities listed with live links to their web sites.

------------------------------------

http://www.campgroundsontheweb.com/

This directory is to help you find the RV Parks and Campgrounds you are looking for.
There is a wide variety of accommodations including RV Parks and Campgrounds, Tent Sites and Cabins indexed by state.
We do not own any of these campgrounds, rv parks, or cabins nor are we telling you to stay at any particular one. The directory is here as a convenience to help your search, so you can research them and make an informed decision for yourself