PDA

View Full Version : No Slide Marathon XLII's

GDeen
04-25-2009, 12:19 AM
Where are all the pre-owned no slide Marathon XLII's?? None in Marathon stock, and to my knowledge, none on any of the normal re-sale sites save a 2002 40'. Did they just not make that many of them or are they so popular they don't last long?

Plenty of H3's and a number of Liberty's along with plenty of D/S Marathons...:confused: If anyone knows of one, I would appreciate a link.

Kevin Erion
04-25-2009, 09:41 AM
I have one, Ray Davis and Jdub also have one, thats 3 that are spoken for. I don't think they made very many.

GDeen
04-25-2009, 09:54 AM
I knew you guys had them Kevin, just haven't seen many/any others - particularly for sale.

Ray Davis
04-25-2009, 11:17 AM
Indeed the no-slide XL2's are pretty rare. They are a great coach, and I don't think the owners that have them sell very often.

My understanding (maybe wrong), that by 2002, a non-slide coach was a special order only.

Ray

Loc
04-25-2009, 11:42 AM
I thought they recalled the Marathon XLII non-slide coaches because of a continuing problem with a short between the driver's seat and the steering wheel.:D

jack14r
04-25-2009, 03:08 PM
The only one I have seen for a while was on Phil Coopers web site but it is gone now.

Jerry Winchester
04-25-2009, 09:45 PM
We looked a long time to find a non-orphan, non-slide XLII with OTR. I found exactly one and we bought it. I have looked often and have not seen another one for sale; orphan or not.

jack14r
04-26-2009, 08:22 AM
Jerry is right,there are very few OTR coaches that Marathon manufactured.I called Marathon about a OTR problem and Leon questioned whether I knew what I was asking about,at first he said that they did not make any OTR coaches in 2001 but after pulling the data sheet he agreed that 674 was a OTR coach.They built so few that they forgot to put the fan rheostat in the new dash panel,wired the OTR to the wrong set of batteries,installed the wrong relay for the switching from OTR to the cruise airs.Looking back I would have thought that the 2 previous owners would have figured out that something was wrong when they had to run the OTR with the cruise airs to stay cool.Jerry can attest that the OTR in 674 performs as it was designed to.

Jerry Winchester
04-26-2009, 09:42 AM
I thought they recalled the Marathon XLII non-slide coaches because of a continuing problem with a short between the driver's seat and the steering wheel.

How do they do the recalls at Millennium? Just wait until all 6 of you are at the Flying J? Oh wait, with Tom and Karin, they now have 7 coaches on the road. That should cause some logistics problems for sure.

Don't you have a fat beagle to wash?

GDeen
04-26-2009, 09:47 AM
Looks like Liberty is the only realistic option for a no slide XLII with OTR - there are a few of those for sale out there right now. Or stick with the rivets which is not such a bad thing.

mikedee
04-27-2009, 11:42 PM
We have an XL 2, 40 foot coach, never see them. I was told only a few were done in the no slide configuration. I love it, looks and drives great, easy to park.

carguy
04-28-2009, 09:35 AM
I have coach 724 non slide marathon

04-28-2009, 09:55 AM
Hello Gordon,

If it were possible to spend some time in both a slide and non slide coach I would do so. Ask the seller/Dealer to allow you to be alone with your wife and really get a real living feel of the difference between the two.

I think that owning a slide verses a non slide bus will boil down to price and how you plan to use the bus, how long you will be out on the road, full time or not etc.

I would then make certain (if it is a slide coach) that I were able to see the repair history for the bus, especially anything to do with the slide, how many issues there might have been and if they have been fully resolved.

The older buses (rivet) slide buses had rather uncomplicated slides, no air pin locks, all hydraulic with a simple Air Lock on top, no pins that could get out of alignment with the room. The only requirement was to lubricate the slide arms carefully, make sure the hydraulic reservoir was full, no leaks in both Hydraulic or air lines at top and you were good to go. 13'X3' slides in the salon and one in the bedroom really added a lot of living space.

If I were going to purchase an newer XLII or H model today, I would want to ask Prevost Car to give me in writing that they are and will support the repair and replacement of the following (for all owners beyond the original),
All Stainless (peeling off from poor glue bonding). all fixed windowed that crack due to road stress, any slide room pin alignment issues, and slide room roof metal lifting issues and repair. These issues along with a few minor ones have been an ongoing problem for these models.

Prevost Car is going through it's own restructuring and internal evaluation of department profits and expenses, and I would want some assurance from the manufacturers that they are standing by their products as long as they are out there.

Having said this, Prevost Car has been great, and have allows been there as far as I have been concerned, but these are changing times and I would add this to my check list when making my decision to purchase.

Jon Wehrenberg
04-28-2009, 11:13 AM
I feel compelled to balance the discussion about slides.

Again, depending on how you intend to use the coach they could be a significant asset or a needless complication.

With slides the coach is opened up. No question about that. But you do not get more sleeping space, more storage or more furnishings. You get a wider aisle. You actually lose space because of the slides, both inside and underneath because of room required for the walls and mechanisms plus added structure.

If you live in your coach or spend a lot of time in it parked the extra space is a blessing. You can walk around without bumping into one another.

The downside is the slide mechanisms may require maintenance. There will be costs associated with the slide such as seal replacement. There is a greater risk of water damage to the coach. Service on slides can be scary. I have seen an entire slide removed, and the gutted coach interior scattered around so Prevost could repair the water damage. The slide walls had become a large water vessel and the water corroded the structure.

The resale value will be higher, but as yet unknown is the impact on the coach integrity due to cutting a big hole in the structure. So far no bad news on that front, but the folks here don't put 80,000 to 100,000 miles annually on the coach.

If you contemplate a slide coach try it with the slides in so you can see clearly if you can easily use it and access closets and cabinets and move about while traveling. Find out if the slide has any bad design features because Prevost has gone through at least four variations trying to get it right. One failed sensor on a slide coach keeps you from engaging the transmission. There are ways to work around problems like that, but nobody is publishing that info.

If we were to ever get a slide coach it would only be one with a Prevost slide. I like being in a coach when the slides are out, but do not like them when the slides are in.

GDeen
04-28-2009, 12:04 PM
Appreciate all the input and guidance. For our first bus, we have decided to go without slides for the sake of simplicity. After renting a 3 slide Monaco a couple of summers ago, I would have thought we couldn't live without them. After looking at no-slide Prevost we realized that the no-slide models are much more efficiently designed than a slide model in travel mode, which was my reference model for no-slide living space (if that makes sense).

There will certainly be times that we will wish for slides but we are convinced for now this will work well for us. There are certainly plenty of families in this group that do just fine without slides so that is a good data point as well.

phorner
04-28-2009, 01:13 PM
FWIW we had a 3 slide Monaco product prior to our non-slide Prevost and we couldn't be happier. :)

We actually enjoy being "slide free" and it is a very rare day when they are missed at all.

nrhareiner
04-28-2009, 03:14 PM
Jon describes the differences very correctly. I now do have a slide coach, but spent many years in a non slide XL. The one thing I would make sure prior to purchase is that the slides are 'Prevost" slides and not after market. If you remember in 2007 we had serious problems with a slide not going out (better than not going in). Prevost fixed the problem in F/W at no charge to us. However, the bill would have been huge if we had to pay. We like the advantage of the slides since we do live in the coach for 5 months/year. We also made sure that every drawer, closet etc can be used with the slides in.

TG Transport
04-28-2009, 03:18 PM
I saw a 2001 either on Phil Cooper or rvonline that looked like a decent one. I do not recall whether it is still available or not. We have been pretty happy with our 2003 non-slide.

GDeen
04-28-2009, 04:47 PM
I saw a 2001 either on Phil Cooper or rvonline that looked like a decent one. I do not recall whether it is still available or not. We have been pretty happy with our 2003 non-slide.

Phil Cooper had one on there about a month ago that had a lot of custom extras on the order sheet. Pretty good looking bus, done in coolish interior colors - silvers, blacks, white, etc. Roof air, double sofa setup. Some of the bays looked pretty messy and one of them looked extensively stained from some type of spill or leak as I recall. That bus is no longer on his site.

BrianE
04-28-2009, 09:06 PM
Was talking to the folks at Royale Phoenix today and they mentioned that Millennium has a super clean '03 no slide Royale. It's listed on Stuff:http://www.prevost-stuff.com/2003_prevost_royal_xlii_Millennium_Luxury.htm

Joe Cannarozzi
04-28-2009, 09:14 PM
I posted that the day it was listed. I think he looked at it. too much. 400+ if I remember correctly.

Real nice bus Bri. I would drive it for sure:)

mikedee
04-28-2009, 11:17 PM
I looked at the 03 and really like it to bad my bus barn is setup for a 40'. I agree +400K is a little much but I have made worst buy's.

We have been very happy with our Royale. Hope it finds a good home.

garyde
04-28-2009, 11:44 PM
Knock on wood or stainless, but I have had very little problems with my slides. If you don't count replacing 3 air seals in 3 years. Prevost paid all three times and I am the 3rd owner. No Stainless coming loose yet.
I don't think you'll ever get anything in writing from Prevost or a convertor on a used Coach and I wouldn't have let that be deal breaker.
I enjoy the slides, but I have kids and dogs with me on many trips. I'm used to slides, having had two other coaches with slides.
My slides are Prevost slides.

Kevin Erion
04-28-2009, 11:59 PM
I drove GaryD's bus to Branson with him, we did a Bonzi run and everything worked great. With my 4 girls(wife and 3 kids) we need to move about when traveling and the slides just didn't sound like a good idea. I agree with Jon on the deal, just depends on how you are going to use the thing and what your budget is, it's all GOOD!

Gary & Peggy Stevens
04-29-2009, 01:05 AM
Well I will throw my 2 cents worth in here. I am still a newbie, as we have only had our bus ( First RV ) since 02/08. Still learning lots. Boy am I learning lots. :)

I have a single Prevost slide in our 45' 01 American, and I can tell you I have had numerous issues with our slide. Took two months last year just before Xmas to get it all redone to factory specs, but was all covered under Prevo warranty. Then there were several other times that the slide didn't work for some reason or another........ Like this April in Ft. Wilderness, for a week with the granddaughter. :mad: Damn depressing to go all the way down there for a weeks vacation in Disneyworld and not be able to put the slide out...:(

When we camp, we like to dance in the living room, Can't do that in a Non Slide Bus :eek:

But for Peg and I, and we both agree.........

We would rather have a slide available 50% of the time, than NOT have it 100% of the time.

Gary S.

truk4u
04-29-2009, 08:32 AM
Gary,

Dancing explains the bus rocking and is contrary to what Jdub said!:D

JIM CHALOUPKA
04-29-2009, 08:36 AM
Step. Step. Slide. Slide. :D

rfoster
04-29-2009, 09:55 AM
I have had a non slide coach and loved it.

I now have a two slide coach and love it. So far So good. 25000 miles since purchased in 8/08. No loose metal or broken windows . Power awning & digital dash still works . Happy wife too.

It reminds me when I lived in a single wide and then moved on up to a double wide-I will never go back.. The additional room is great and unlike Gary I don't/can't dance..:cool:

Jim Skiff
04-29-2009, 10:01 AM
Roger,

That sure looked liked dancing to me after you won the "BLING" contest in
Santa Fe!:D

garyde
04-29-2009, 10:35 PM
Gary S, 1-2-3-4, 1-2-3-4. Tommy Dorcy Rocks

Gary & Peggy Stevens
04-30-2009, 10:50 AM
Gary S, 1-2-3-4, 1-2-3-4. Tommy Dorcy Rocks

We are more into Clint Black or Brooks & Dunn, and the Boot Scootin Boogey, but I get your meaning, :)

Gary S.

04-30-2009, 11:20 AM
I have also owned Monaco's with multiple slides, but like the rest of the plastic RV the slide was just another equally poorly made part of the RV. i would not base my decision on any past plastic experiences.

I do of course have a Marathon slide, (somewhat bias) HWH/Rouge created for Marathon back in 99 built by folks who understood simplicity and the need for the darn thing to work, stay dry and last as long as the rest of the bus. I did replace the hydraulic lines and Air Lock at top, grease the unit, top off the hydraulic reservoir and realign the slide room. While having service at Marathon Florida last week I had the tech who did the work referred to above give me a 1 hour lesson on exactly what he did, how to make each any repairs, service myself without the need for any dealer intervention. The unit is very simple and has many smart aspects that Prevost Car should have considered, like 3 drains on the roof that run off any water that accumulates on the roof when the slide is out, pretty basic stuff, no pins that can get out of line, just a big old lock at top and 3 big slide rails operated by hydraulics that move in and out on a vernier screw. All slide room wiring, heat lines etc are on arms that move with the room. There are six adjustment lock screws, that adjust side to side, up and down at 3 points, really simple and all are tight and level over one year later. The unit is bullet proof, looks exactly like the rest of the bus, has extra support where the cutout was made has never leaked since I have owned it and there was not evidence or paperwork to suggest that it has ever leaked. The extra room is a real treat and makes for wonderful entertainment space.

Marathon and others have recently transitioned away from Prevost Slides (forget the name, will find it) for shells that have cut outs for slide rooms, but with no room construction. Looked at 2008 shell at Prevost Car the other day with this configuration.

I have spent money at the initial purchase period to make sure the room was as good as it could be, but have invested "0" since on maintenance and service.

The only real consideration is additional price and the extra weight that slide rooms bring with it.

GDeen
04-30-2009, 01:49 PM
Bruce,

My only point about the Monaco was that we learned how cramped a slide coach may be with the slides in. Prevost was first no-slide we saw and we learned that there is a favorable difference in livability between a no slide model and a slide model with slides in. I guess we were naive enough to think that everyone lived crawling over the bed and with the driver isolated behind a wall. That said, we have also decided that a salon slide may be the best of both worlds in terms of livability in and out of travel mode.

As to the Monaco, we had it on a 3k mile trip and had absolutely no problems whatsoever with anything. Biggest gripe was the rattling and porpoising down the road which led me to look at the Prevost for a better ride and driving experience.

Edit - by the way you have the coolest looking galley area I have seen yet in your coach....

05-01-2009, 09:06 AM
The Monaco example was not directed at you Gordon, it is just an example of how the average plastic bus was built and engineered.

The slides on some buses, Prevost's included give very little consideration for owners when the slides are out in some cases not all. The best slide configuration is the 2 slide bus conversion, great space easy to get around.

The newer Prevost slides, especially the 4 slide buses are really created for the Race Car set in my opinion, who have drivers who show up at venues open up the slides and the owner has an instant home. Not great for spending the night at Walmart.

When we are on the road and find ourselves at Walmart we do not run the slide out so we can get a quick get away in the morning.

Our galley will probably be standing long after the bus is scrap metal somewhere, all one piece stainless.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
05-01-2009, 06:39 PM
Sorry, but I am posting this again,

When we camp, we like to dance in the living room, Can't do that in a Non Slide Bus :)

We would rather have a slide available 50% of the time, than NOT have it 100% of the time. :p

And yes it is 5:30 somewhere ? Here actually ! TGIF

Gary S.

Joe Cannarozzi
05-01-2009, 09:01 PM
That bedroom slide is much harder to navigate around when in than the living room slide.

The one slide model may just be the best compromise.

GDeen
05-01-2009, 09:07 PM
Sorry, but I am posting this again,

When we camp, we like to dance in the living room, Can't do that in a Non Slide Bus :)

We would rather have a slide available 50% of the time, than NOT have it 100% of the time. :p

And yes it is 5:30 somewhere ? Here actually ! TGIF

Gary S.

Gary, my wife and I dated in college and could do "the dance" in a 77 hatch back Celica, so I think even at our old age now we can manage in a non-slide coach!:cool:

05-02-2009, 09:04 AM
Gary, my wife and I dated in college and could do "the dance" in a 77 hatch back Celica, so I think even at our old age now we can manage in a non-slide coach!:cool:

There is no need to manage in a non slide coach, you can have your cake and eat it to, in or out, they function well.

Lots of people can dance with you when you feel up to it.

I bet there are good deals out there on all models, slide or non slide.

Any Bus will make for an enjoyable and fun experience, but take a look at all, drive them, tip them upside down, demand to see everything that will make the purchase process the best it can be.

Loc
05-02-2009, 01:53 PM
Gordon,

TMI on the Celica comment.

tdelorme
05-02-2009, 02:07 PM
Gordon,

Gordon, ignore Loc. Ever since he went to work for the government he has been required to attend weekly seminars on political correctness. The censorship class was last week.:rolleyes:

GDeen
05-02-2009, 03:54 PM
Gordon,

Sorry Loc, I'll give myself a do better talk...

Loc
05-02-2009, 07:37 PM
Gordon,

We had a non-slide XL 40 foot and currently have a double slide XLII 45 foot. I really liked our non-slide coach. We bought the XLII because it had bunks not because it had slides. I really didn't want slides, but the bus had bunks and slides and I could purchase it at a good price (at the time). After having the bus for a year and a half I admit I like the slides because when parked it really opens up the bus and with two young boys and two dogs more space is better. The front slide is not as bad for space invasion as some conversions because Millennium leaves the end windows really large (the windows are the same size in the factory slides, it's the interior trim that makes the difference) so it doesn't feel claustrophobic. The drawback is the rear slide when closed because you have to crawl over the bed to get to the rear closet.

Ignore Ted. He is just jealous of my new government employment and wishes he could slog to NY every week and stay in a seedy motel.

Jon Wehrenberg
05-02-2009, 08:02 PM
Loc,

I will temporarily steal this thread.

To enjoy your exile to NYC learn to sample the foods. I haven't lived where I could see the Empire State Building from my living room window for almost 50 years, but I don't miss anything about NYC but the food.

I would kill to have weekly access to NY pizza and mussels

If I had enough money I would pay Rick to pick up a pie for me before he and Wendy come to OKC. (We called pizza pies)

The ethnic foods were to die for. Anything you wanted. You see your new government job in NYC as a seedy motel. I would see it (at least for a while) as a smorgasbord.

I'll bet Deb and Eric will agree.

(Former Secaucus boy and gradute of Weehawken High School)

05-03-2009, 07:48 AM
Loc,

I will temporarily steal this thread.

To enjoy your exile to NYC learn to sample the foods. I haven't lived where I could see the Empire State Building from my living room window for almost 50 years, but I don't miss anything about NYC but the food.

I would kill to have weekly access to NY pizza and mussels

If I had enough money I would pay Rick to pick up a pie for me before he and Wendy come to OKC. (We called pizza pies)

The ethnic foods were to die for. Anything you wanted. You see your new government job in NYC as a seedy motel. I would see it (at least for a while) as a smorgasbord.

I'll bet Deb and Eric will agree.

(Former Secaucus boy and gradute of Weehawken High School)
Pound & a Pint, $8.95 in Lunenburg Ns., the best mussels ever sitting on the docks of this historic (World Heritage Site) mussels in wine & garlic, can eat 2 pounds easy. great stuff.

If NYC has mussels this good I will make a stop.

PS> Ditto on the slides, wonder if there is a way to make the read slide less cumbersome to get around?

Loc
05-03-2009, 10:07 AM
Jon,

I agree that NY has some outstanding food. Unfortunately the only time I get to eat in real restaurant is when JDUB shows up and takes pity on me or the investment bankers / consultants want to have a good meal and I am the excuse. The new stipend doesn't cover the complimentary water and crackers in most eateries. The company cafeteria for lunch and a subway or the cheap salad place for dinner is the typical gastronomic fare for the day.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
05-03-2009, 10:25 AM
Jon, I agree that NY has some outstanding food. Unfortunately the only time I get to eat in real restaurant is when JDUB shows up and takes pity on me or the investment bankers / consultants want to have a good meal and I am the excuse. The new stipend doesn't cover the complimentary water and crackers in most eateries. The company cafeteria for lunch and a subway or the cheap salad place for dinner is the typical gastronomic fare for the day.

So Loc, I take it you are loosing some weight then ? :D Sorry Loc I just had to smak you a little bit. Miss seeing you around here.

I know, I know....... BITE ME ! :eek: :)

Gary S.

Loc
05-03-2009, 03:24 PM
Thanks Gary for the kind words. In the words of Stevie Wonder or some other singer that I can't recall "that's what friends are for?":eek: Let's see the job sucks, New York is a drag with no food, the bus is in the shop, the house gets flooded this week (and I have to sleep in a Newell), and now I am waiting for the locusts to show up. The bright side is that I don't have boils yet.

Will Garner
05-03-2009, 05:16 PM
Loc,

Try taking a meal at Peter Lugar's in Brooklyn. There food is absolutely wonderful. They used to have a tomato and onion dish that I simply could not get enough of.

Question for you, will you be in NYC 11 -14 June 2009? Carole and I will be there a little early for the US Men's Open Golf Championship. Thought maybe we could hook up. We lived there from 1981 -1989. Of course there have been lots of changes since then.

Give us a call (910) 690-5631 if you would like to get together either in the city or out on the island.

Jon Wehrenberg
05-03-2009, 06:08 PM
Bruce,

You may wish to retract any reference to mussels from anywhere except the NYC (and Philly) areas.

There are mussels, and there are mussels marinara, only to be had in the aforementioned areas.

NY pizza is the same. It has a unique crust not found anywhere else and the right comination of cheese and tomato sauce. Anything else is pretend pizza.

Only someone from NY/NJ can understand. They must kill people that know the secret recipes because other places can come a little close, but never get it right.