PDA

View Full Version : Missing Hitch Reciever Pin

Larry W
04-24-2009, 10:23 PM
A very alarming thing today. We pulled off I-70 today on the way to Golden, Co. All was well until made a left turn from the stop sign. The wife and I heard something. I checked the rear camera and saw our jeep out of line with the coach. Once we got to the side of the road to a stop we found the hitch pin was no longer with us. This allowed the tow bar to slip out of the reciever. The pin is long gone. I can not see what happened. The pin was a locking type that we have used on 3 rigs over the years. We hace a brand new pin and are looking for the SUPER HEAVY duty pin.
Nothing was damaged but for some gravel rash on the tow bar.

dale farley
04-24-2009, 10:31 PM
I know that had to be a little scary. Glad nothing was damaged and no one was hurt.

gmcbuffalo
04-24-2009, 11:44 PM
I have heard that when you make a long stop to check the pin since some people thing it's a big laugh to remove it, but never thought you would have a problems with a locking pin.
GregM

BrianE
04-25-2009, 12:27 AM
Nice try Larry but one of the Taco Twins still holds the tow turd award. :eek:

ajducote
04-25-2009, 06:14 AM
I have had 3 different locking pins fail on me. The lock would just fall off and allow the pin to work it's way out. I now check and double check my pins at every stop. If I stop for the night I check them again before I leave in the morning. The locking pin I have now in the tow bar has gone about 2 years, so maybe this is a good one.

tdelorme
04-25-2009, 06:59 AM
Same experience as Andre, but I went back to the old style manual clip pin. I do a quick check of both vehicles every time we stop so it's no big deal. There was a guy over on another forum that swore we should buy new locking pins every year. I always thought he was nuts until I lost one myself.

Larry W
04-25-2009, 07:32 AM
I am thinking of replacing the pin with a #8 hardness bolt with a self-locking nut. Will be kinda a pain to remove but nothing like the mess beside the road.

MangoMike
04-25-2009, 08:51 AM
Nice try Larry but one of the Taco Twins still holds the tow turd award. :eek:

Brian, I think you have the wrong tow turd.

mm

dale farley
04-25-2009, 09:42 AM
I know none of us would want to admit it, but it is very easy to think we have that lock in place when it really isn't. I used to sell trailer hitches and accessories such as pins, and I was really amazed to see how easy it was to put that lock on, and then discover it was not fully engaged. I now install mine and make sure I pull it hard enough to dislodge the lock if not really in place as it should be. If you have a good locking pin, and it is really engaged, it should not come loose. Of course, now that I say all this, I may be the next one with a lost pin.

Jerry Winchester
04-25-2009, 09:58 PM
I used this one initially

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-hitches/Hitch%20lock%2092-8973.jpg

But switched to this one

http://www.cargogear.com/catimages/redoglockkitCAT.jpg

It is stronger and it locks easier.

Will Garner
04-26-2009, 07:47 AM
Jerry,

Good Morning.

I like the new pin you are using but how about giving us some details on a supplier of same pin.

Later ...

tdelorme
04-26-2009, 09:02 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Reese-Towpower-74397-Class-Diameter/dp/B0008G1OQA

Jerry Winchester
04-26-2009, 09:34 AM
Will,

I actually got the set that was keyed alike so I could lock the hitch and the height adjuster with the same key.

http://www.trailerandtruckparts.com/Receiver-Locks_c_30.html

Will Garner
04-26-2009, 07:08 PM
Jerry and Ted,

Thanks for the weblinks!

mikedee
04-27-2009, 11:23 PM
I got a Grade 8 bolt, two hard washers and a matching nylock nut. It is real Cleveland OH USA quality. About 8 bucks. Never even think about it, and hard to steal the towbar.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
04-28-2009, 09:47 AM
This is what I put on our rig, when we first picked it up and we have had no problems at all.

BX88177 4-Lock Kit Blue Ox Lock Kit http://www.blueox.us/Accessories/locks.htm

All Locks Keyed Alike so to remove any of them is simple, but impossible without having the keys.

Gary S.

04-28-2009, 10:44 AM
I owned these locks (Blue Ox). lost my keys, took my hammer a couple of whacks and it broke off in a few seconds, I mean a few seconds. The locking end sleeve comes apart very quickly with force applied.

Jon Wehrenberg
04-28-2009, 11:18 AM
I use the old bent pin with the spring type retainer. Cheap, and best of all functional. I carry a spare in case some idiot tries to vandalize my coach by removing the pin.

I used the locking type and was underwhelmed. I have gone back to simple.

CAPT MOGUL & Sandy
04-28-2009, 11:17 PM
QUOTE=Jon Wehrenberg;46828] I carry a spare in case some idiot tries to vandalize my coach by removing the pin.

Jon, I think I have just discovered who relocated our pin to a different place other than where it was supposed to be!:rolleyes: Too many oysters make you relocate our pin on the first Mobile trip? I know that Jim Keller got the blame on the second trip but he wasn't there to defend himself. The truth always come out, huh??:D:D
Sandy

Jon Wehrenberg
04-29-2009, 06:50 AM
Sandy,

I would never mess with someone's hitch. I might flip a switch in your engine bay so the bus is on rear start, but messing with a hitch is dangerous.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
04-29-2009, 10:21 AM
I owned these locks (Blue Ox). lost my keys, took my hammer a couple of whacks and it broke off in a few seconds, I mean a few seconds. The locking end sleeve comes apart very quickly with force applied.

Bruce, you lost all ( 8 ) sets of your keys?

I can believe it only took a couple of whacks with a hammer to get the lock off, but these locks are just suppose to be deterrents for those criminal types that don't carry a hammer with them? :p :D

Gary S.