PDA

View Full Version : 89 Marathon

Terry J. Sturgis
04-24-2009, 10:05 AM
Florida Coach has a 1989 Marathon for sale on their site. I called on it and wound up talking to Lon the owner. It appears to be a nice coach. The coach has two headlights instead of four so I asked if it had an updated frontend. I thought Prevost changed from four headlights to two in 1992. If the board's experts would take a look and express your knowledge, I would appreciate it.
Also, the ladder in the bedroom goes to the Nascar platform on the roof. I do not care for that so would most likely take it off.
Bus has 140000 miles. Thanks!

Joe Cannarozzi
04-24-2009, 12:31 PM
Hey Terry the thing that caught my eye is the ceiling. How many sky lights? Looks unique. If the 8-V has been redone it would have been recently. That is right at the mileage where it could be either way, curious.

Loc
04-24-2009, 04:21 PM
In 1988 or 1989, Prevost changed the rear taillight stacks from round to square. In 1991, Prevost changed the headlights from four to two large (Ford F-150 housing with an integrated directional turn signal) and the tailights to the rectangular Bosch stacked set. The 1991 style headlights and taillights remained until the end of the XL run in 1999 -2000. and tailights on the 1991 model year shell. The bus you are looking at has the square tailights for the model year but has had an upgrade on the headlights from four to two. Notice the square turn signals lights just below the windshield which was in place with the four headlight design which did not have integrated turn signals. It probably has a DDEC I or II system. Main thing I would check is maintenance records and do a complete check of the cooling system (radiator).

GDeen
04-24-2009, 09:22 PM
Pretty cool looking bus. I wondered about the "nascar" platforms and having an external ladder that anyone could crawl up on your coach with. I guess the bedroom version prevents that from happening! Very interesting.

lewpopp
04-24-2009, 09:37 PM
I'd like to see the coach that Florida Coach has for sale.(the 89) I tried to look it up on their website but it wouldn't let me see the used coaches without registering. What's the secret?

I'd like to know what my competition is doing and compare to see if I'm in the ballpark when I put mine up for sale.

GDeen
04-24-2009, 10:37 PM
I'd like to see the coach that Florida Coach has for sale.(the 89) I tried to look it up on their website but it wouldn't let me see the used coaches without registering. What's the secret?

I'd like to know what my competition is doing and compare to see if I'm in the ballpark when I put mine up for sale.

Just click on "pre-owned coaches" and then "view Inventory" at the bottom of the page.

Bob W
04-28-2009, 03:23 PM
I like the look of this unit as well. Maybe I should just buy the thing
Bob W

Terry J. Sturgis
04-28-2009, 05:19 PM
It is now on e-Bay.

Joe Cannarozzi
04-28-2009, 06:59 PM
I think that e-bay has wasted my time searching more than all the other websites I have searched combined.

Once again a failed search and again I have asked myself why have I waisted my time.

I went to e-bay motors, narrowed to RV, narrowed to prevost motorhomes and it was not there.

I forgot to say please maybe.

Bob W
04-28-2009, 07:08 PM
If I could but it right what would you guys be afraid of?
Bob W

Ray Davis
04-28-2009, 07:12 PM
Joe,

You're being too specific in your search, and missing it.

Go to the top level and search for 1989 Prevost

You should find two there. This I think is the one you want ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PREVOST-1989-MARATHON_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c6 6Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c 293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhash Zitem170326483746QQitemZ170326483746QQptZRVsQ5fCam pers

Lesson is don't be overly specific when searching, like picking which category it's listed in. It's in Class A Rv's, which may have been where you looked, but it didn't have "motorhome" in it's title or definition.

Ray

Joe Cannarozzi
04-28-2009, 07:18 PM
You are cracking me up Ray.

You say not to be overly specific and all I narrowed down to was prevo motorhomes. Then you mention to search for "specifically" 89. How is your search less specific.

Say I'm shopping and do not know what I want.

Thanks Ray next time I am interested in paperclips I will not specify 89 Prevost.

Ray Davis
04-28-2009, 07:24 PM
I'm just saying the reason you didn't find it was the term "motorhome". I used 1989 instead, as most posts will list a year of a vehicle, but more than likely for Prevos they use bus or coach, rather than motorhome.

I also suggested not going to a specific category, because I have at times found these things in wildly wrong places (like boat category one time)

Ray

Jon Wehrenberg
04-28-2009, 07:50 PM
If I could but it right what would you guys be afraid of?
Bob W

Bob,

If you can buy it right, and you feel it is the coach that gives you the eureka moment I think you should do it.

The ebay pictures show the interior and gives you a strong sense of a coach that does not appear to have been trashed. What is absent is pictures with the same detail of the bays, engine, and close ups of the dash, so you can get a much clearer idea of its overall condition, equipment, and level of care.

Since it is an ebay type sale I would just assume it is due for a full maintenance and tire and battery replacement. Ditto for air bags and suspension valves. ($10,000 if you do the work mostly yourself, somewhat more if you hire it done)

Buying a coach right however will not reverse years of neglect or abuse. If the coach is a POS it will still be a POS, but one that did not cost much.

The best thing if you are serious is to go look at it or have it inspected.

LA-HODAG
04-28-2009, 08:53 PM
Lew: The website is floridaluxurycoach . Apparently Florida Coach is an entertainer rental outfit.

Bob W
04-28-2009, 10:00 PM
Thanks Jon for the good advice. i have pictures of the dash and bays and everything looks like it was well taken care of but what do I really know. If I get serious I will have it inspected by a qualified third party. Or, my wife says to get a new 34' Airstream and replace our 25'. To many decisions.
Bob W

Jon Wehrenberg
04-29-2009, 08:06 AM
You cannot compare an Airstream with a Prevost.

Two completely different lifestyles that just happen to share an RV park. Maybe Chris and Jim can explain the difference. It is like comparing tent camping to the Airstream to my way of thinking.

You will have a lot of fun with both. No question about that. Both represent the top of their genre. But until you have driven down the highway in your house with all it's comforts accessible to you you cannot appreciate why Prevost owners have such big grins.

I'll bet that new 34 foot Airstream costs close to that of the Prevost you are looking at.

michaeldterry
04-29-2009, 08:59 AM
I actually found and bought my bus on eBay, believe it or not. I was up in the middle of the night, surfing the internet with a bad case of MPD related insomnia. Just to be thorough in my search, I looked on eBay - and voila! - there she was, with only two hours left on the auction. The current bid was under what I was expecting to pay, but the reserve had not been met. I "clenched", put in a bid, and then went back to bed to inform Vita that I had gone insane. Two hours later, I was a newbie Prevost owner!

I downloaded Jon's Prevost Purchase Inspection article and reformatted it into a detailed checklist. When we went to KY to pick up our new (to us) bus, we followed the checklist and discovered that we had been incredibly lucky in our choice. The selling RV dealer had acquired the coach at an estate auction from an elderly couple and had expectations of a windfall profit by flipping the bus to a wealthy buyer. In anticipation, the dealer had performed many maintenance tasks to bring service up to date (chassis service, engine service, gen service, etc) and had the documentation to prove it. What he didn't count on was a poor old disabled guy winning the eBay auction for just a few dollars over his bottom line reserve (which he admitted later was exactly what he paid for the bus).

Bottom line, circumstances conspired to allow us to buy a "cherry" Prevost that, in a better economy and without my luck on eBay, I would not have been able to afford.

So Bob - if your heart tells you that this 89 is "the one" - go for it with your best bid! Just be sure - if you win it - to do a detailed PDI (I'll be glad to send you the list I formatted from Jon's article)!

I went on eBay and sent a message to the seller of the 89 asking him to tell me his reserve price. It's a long shot, but if he responds with a number, I'll PM it to you immediately. Good luck!

Bob W
04-29-2009, 10:37 AM
Jon
you are right on the pricing of a new 34' Airstream, list is $100,000. And I am sure that the life style is significantly different. We have had a great time the last 4 years with our 25' and the folks we met in WBCCI. My wife just isn't sure she is ready for this change.
Bob W

Bob W
04-29-2009, 10:39 AM
Thanks Mike, let me know what response you get if any. I've been told by the owner of Florida coach that the PDI has been done
Bob W

michaeldterry
04-29-2009, 10:48 AM
Thanks Mike, let me know what response you get if any. I've been told by the owner of Florida coach that the PDI has been done
Bob W

Bob - I'll post as soon as I get a reply! Of course, you will want to do your own pre-delivery inspection (PDI) to verify everything that has been represented. Once you "pull the trigger", you'll love owning and driving a Prevost! I have yet to meet a single person who regretted their decision to join the "bus culture"! :cool:

Good luck!

michaeldterry
04-29-2009, 11:35 AM
Bob - check your Private Messages, sir! :D

Jon Wehrenberg
04-29-2009, 12:58 PM
Bob, we had never even stepped inside a camping trailer or an RV when we bought our first Prevost so I can only surmise what it is like towing and using an Airstream.

From your wife's perspective here is what I imagine she will find different or the same. First, you will not be pulling something that is going to wiggle the tow vehicle all around the highway. The bus is heavy and will track straight. You will relax when you drive.

Loading for a trip will not change, except now she can pack a wide variety of clothes for various purposes and weather. She will have more closet space. Your stuff, like tools and gadgets will be outside in the bays. She can claim all upstairs storage as her own.

No more pulling into a rest area when nature calls. She can just get up and do whatever unless she is driving. She can also make coffee, lunch or do the laundry while underway. (or you can do all that while she drives. Karen forced me to say that) If she wants to read or watch TV she can, from the sofa or the bed. No more conserving water or energy. Unless you are dry camping for long periods she can stay warm, stay cool, use water, flush, etc. You will be doubling your size.

When you do get in a campground you level the coach without even leaving your seat. Then you complete the set up by hooking up to water, sewer and electric. That's it. You don't have to drive up on wooden blocks. If you tow, unhitch and you are done.

You will meet lots of new friends, most of us charming, well read, sophisticated, and entertaiining. You may even end up with your own sheep herd. There will be more to service than greasing the wheel bearings, but you have an entire support network in POG. And best of all if you like the Airstream there is nothing stopping you from towing it behind the Prevost. Forty foot bus plus 25 foot Airstream adds up to the 65 feet allowable anywhere. You can bring your mother-in-law if you wish with that set up.

michaeldterry
04-29-2009, 01:12 PM
And best of all if you like the Airstream there is nothing stopping you from towing it behind the Prevost. Forty foot bus plus 25 foot Airstream adds up to the 65 feet allowable anywhere. You can bring your mother-in-law if you wish with that set up.

I love my M-I-L, but I like the way you think, Jon! :D

Bob W
04-29-2009, 04:46 PM
Jon
That's a great idea! I never thought of pulling the Airstream behind the Prevost. I will make sure my wife reads your post. Thanks
Bob

Terry J. Sturgis
04-29-2009, 05:16 PM
When I called Florida Coach they were asking $89,900.00. With no trade $79,000.00 out the door. The timing isn't right for me to travel 1,200 miles to view the bus now. Bob W. I hope it works out for you. Good luck.

Bob W
04-29-2009, 05:23 PM
Thanks Terry
Bob

tdelorme
04-29-2009, 08:06 PM
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i174/tdelorme1/AS1.jpg

Gary & Peggy Stevens
04-30-2009, 10:59 AM
Now that says it all " Stainless towing Stainless "

That must be the mother-in-law's suite in the back, but I don't think she can be back there while towing? :confused: :D

Gary S.

BrianE
04-30-2009, 12:09 PM
Who wants to tell him??:D

dalej
04-30-2009, 01:17 PM
I don't, Gary like's to get even! :)

Gary & Peggy Stevens
05-01-2009, 06:46 PM
Ok DaleJ, what did I miss? :(

Brian's not talking, so if you ever want me to have your car washed again during a rally you better start talking. :p

Gary S.

dalej
05-01-2009, 08:15 PM
I didn't hear you Gary, what did you say?

BrianE
05-01-2009, 10:55 PM
I think it was something about stainless towing stainless. :eek: