PDA

View Full Version : For Sale....

dalej
04-23-2009, 08:48 PM
Since I'm in the process of installing new hot water heaters, I no longer need these two American Manufacturing Co. 10 gallon water heaters. They are 120V with motor aid heating.

I will take any serious offers. They work great for being 23 years old. I would rate them as barely good, since they both have very small leaks. They have some cosmetic rust and oxidation that is visible.

I can and will sell them separately.

See the attached photos...

dale farley
04-23-2009, 09:22 PM
They look pretty good for 23 years old. You could probably double your selling price if you put a coat of paint on them.

mike kerley
04-24-2009, 08:56 AM
Dale, They dont look bad for 23 years of use. I wonder what the inside looks like? I hope mine go that long. Everytime I flush mine I dump lots of minerals.

dalej
04-24-2009, 09:00 AM
I'm going to chop one of them up the next time I go out to the shop, hopefully later today. I'll post.

dalej
04-26-2009, 05:43 AM
Well, I cut a 6x8 inch opening in one of the water heaters last night and here are some photos of what's inside.

I was a little surprised at the amount of buildup over the 23 years. I took a 4 pound sledge and hit the tank about a dozen times before cutting the opening.

I'm pretty sure Anode rods won't last 23 years either.

garyde
04-26-2009, 01:37 PM
Its a wonder they lasted that long. My Water Heaters in my home only last 5-7 years.

mike kerley
04-27-2009, 08:12 AM
Dale, Thanks for the photo's. I'm sure mine look as bad. I've changed the electric elements in mine four years ago and cleaned out a bunch of mineral build up at that time.

What did you end up installing?

the amazing thing about the twin 10 gal heaters, is we have never run out of hot water. We can have three or four showers back to back (grandkids etc.) and still have hot water.

great system.

dalej
04-27-2009, 10:24 AM
Mike,

I ended up ordering from Atwood. The size was real close to what I had, so it will fit in the same place without any modifications.

The Model number is EHM11 and the part number is 93882

I ended up just ordering one, since we have been using one for the past two years and didn't notice any difference.

Removing two are a real pain, since the motor-aid coolant seemed to get everywhere when I unhooked them. They are in a place that doesn't allow for pans to collect spills. The heater cans are full of coolant that will and does come out. Even with the main lines clamped, I just couldn't control the spilling. I'm glad the area is all cleaned up and waiting for the new one to arrive. They told me there is a three week lead time.

photo used from Atwoods web site

dale farley
04-27-2009, 01:56 PM
Dale, I have two 10 gallon heaters in our bus, but after running them both for a while, decided to try just one. I have never noticed any difference with the one than the two.

rahangman
04-27-2009, 10:29 PM
I have a 90 CC with 2 ea 10 gal At woods. Only had the coach for 1 year and plan to pull heat rods out to look at them this summer...Like you, even if they are orig equip (I don't think so ) they are doing a bang up job...heres hopeing

gmcbuffalo
04-27-2009, 10:58 PM
My Beaver has two of them also. I wonder if you could sandblastic the scale off with a wand thru one of the front fittings? I think vinegar wouldn't touch it.
GregM